How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 01:22 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

Regarding the Yugo...we gave out an awful lot of "I got BEAT by a Yugo" buttons this year without really trying (running on worn out street tires). I've got a set of decent race rubber that came with the car, a race motor and megasquirt programable ECU sitting in the garage, $1200 left in my budget (plus $1000 in re-coup), and a WHOLE lot of time on my hands. The SVreX had a weight to hp ratio of 9:1. We may be able to get the Yugo down to nearly 7:1, with a wheelbase 4 feet shorter than an SVX, and a whole bunch of concourse points for the fabrication effort and the cool factor.

Besides, driving a Yugo, we don't have to win to embarrass a whole bunch of people. I was beat by another Yugo in an SVX in '05- I know what it feels like.

I was also uncomfortable with the budgets the first year I went. The second year I took a different approach. I picked the top 5 "I doubt it" cars, and spent a lot of time with their owners- learned the story, heard the details. I came away a believer. While there are certainly some cheaters, I am of the opinion the vast majority of the budgets are clean. I know anything I have taken over the years could have been built by anyone else for the same budget.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC