How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-27-2005, 09:43 PM
After 200, it's all the same.

I'm thinkin' side pipe exhaust

So, I got a wild hair up my arse while driving the other day and thought to my self, side pipes might look cool. So I've been contemplating it and thought to myself of two possible locations for the pipes. In front of the rear wheels or Mercedes McLaren SLR style right behing the front wheels. IMO, SLR style would look really cool, but realistically, toward the back would keep a lot of exhaust heat/build up off the door and body. So here is my dillema. I want to keep the car as close to its origional form without doing anything tacky. Should I go with the pipes up front, in the back, or not change anything. All input is appreciated, plus I would be the only person I know of with a sidepiped SVX.

Keith

1992 Pearly 187K and climbing (11-91) #964 *retired

1992 Pearl SVX 122500 miles #86 FASTAR THAN THE OLD ONE.*SOLD

Everytime I get into my car, it always reminds me that it has POWER
Old 06-27-2005, 10:07 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
My friend and I were trying to figure this out on his BMW, and I was looking at my car to see if it was possible. with the design of the body of the SVX, the pipes would be too low to the ground, especially if you've lowered the car at all. the SVX can't pull off big pipes going along the side of the car, so you'd just have to have the "exit" hole deal, however the stock "side skirts" just don't work very well with this. also, you'd have hardly anywhere for any sound reduction. I think your only way of doing this is to take a true dual, and put like 2 24 inch resonators on each straight pipe following the driveshaft, then angle them out. and even then, it would be loud as hell.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 06-27-2005, 10:20 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I agree with Greg, the SVX's low ground clearance combined with the location of the exhaust manifolds relative to the front of the doors doesn't give you much to work with...unless, of course, you don't want to run any type of muffler
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-27-2005, 10:36 PM
no more SVX...

Send a message via AIM to BordeauxComet Send a message via Yahoo to BordeauxComet
I think if you could integrate it into the side skirts, right in front of the rear wheels, it would look sweet.

Then just somehow fill in the holes in the rear bumper.

'03 VW GTI 1.8T
'94 SVX LS Bordeaux Pearl (wrecked, sold..)

My Locker
Old 06-27-2005, 10:39 PM
SVX...It's the only opption

Ya that looks awasome

I would prefer round pipe's in the skirts though,
Just my opinion.

former owner-
94-L 124,000(traded it when tranny went bad)
Old 06-28-2005, 02:17 AM

I know it would be really loud, and that is my last concern. I have thought about it more and more, and think i will be doing it in front of the rear tires. I plan on using tips similar to the stockies. And as far as big piping goes, also not worried. I am also thinking about just having them poke out the back.

My setup is as follows. Precats, gutted or hi flow cat, 2 1/2" piping to tips. Yeah, it will be loud as hell, but I really don't care. I'll be getting another job soon, so I am trying to get a jump start on making this a serious track machine while still being within the bounds of "Idaho Street Legal" status.

Keith

Old 06-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic_slayer
I know it would be really loud, and that is my last concern. I have thought about it more and more, and think i will be doing it in front of the rear tires. I plan on using tips similar to the stockies. And as far as big piping goes, also not worried. I am also thinking about just having them poke out the back.

My setup is as follows. Precats, gutted or hi flow cat, 2 1/2" piping to tips. Yeah, it will be loud as hell, but I really don't care. I'll be getting another job soon, so I am trying to get a jump start on making this a serious track machine while still being within the bounds of "Idaho Street Legal" status.

Keith
Well before you get too excited, the photoshop shown (IIRC) is impossible to do in real life. Theres a sub frame member there that would be quite bad for your car to cut through right there.

And not only would it be loud as hell, but it would be almost unbearably loud. what you're suggesting is basically a "straight pipe" setup. and let me tell you, theres a 4 foot muffler, 2 foot resonator, and 3 cats trying to silence this car right now. maybe you should drop your exhaust totally for a day and see if you could even live with the noise.

Oh and 2.5 inch piping would lose you hp I believe. unless you're turbo or super charging the car.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 06-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Actually it wouldn't be all that loud. This coming from a racer with no interior, stickies, no fender skirts and tons of stones where we race. The exhaust is the least of our volume! In fact the SVX doesn't sound bad at all with just the manifolds attached. We're running a catless 2 into 1 (where the main cat was on our race car). It is going into a specially made hooker 2 into 1 muffler there. After that it is straight 2.5" pipe the rest of the way back. Honestly we looked at side discharge stuff and determined that even for our non street legal that 2 pipes weigh more than 1 going out the back, the ground clearance issue, and the legality issues (not legal in some types of racing). We haven't seen a power decrease in ours with the 2.5 either. I definately wouldn't go any bigger though.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:37 PM
KCROGUEDOG

i think it could be done but the heat is going to be the prob.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:57 PM

On my old car, I was running both precats and the Y cat. The guy who owned it before I did unbolted it after the Y cat and it wasn't too terribly loud. My car sits that way right now because I was going to swap the exhaust from my old car to the new one. I went with 2.5 piping on my last exhaust and didn't seem to loose any power. I have asked around and have been told that running anything bigger than 2.5 piping will kill my power.

If memory serves me right, the stock piping is 2 1/4" so a 1/4" bigger will only help it flow better without taking any power away.

I also don't intend to stick the pipes through any body panels. I wanted the tips to poke out underneath the cars body in front of the rear tire. Best part about it is if it doesn't work, I can cut it up and run it to the rear.

Keith