IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-13-2002, 05:15 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
transmission weight

Anyone know how much our tranny weighs?
The trucking company called and they are delivering tomorrow but they have no way (forklift) of gettin it off the truck.
Could 2 people with no fear of back problems lift it?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-13-2002, 05:18 PM
Green1995SVX

Very good question... I've always wondered that. <waits for response>

-Mike
Old 03-13-2002, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: transmission weight

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
The trucking company called and they are delivering tomorrow but they have no way (forklift) of gettin it off the truck.
Trucking company should know EXACTLY how much it weighs. They typically charge by weight.

Todd
Old 03-13-2002, 05:41 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Talking

Reddaway trucking - they did not know. I guess I should eat some wheaties tomorrow morning.

BTW -just how hard is it to install one of these without a lift?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 03-13-2002, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

That depends

on how much you hurt yourself getting it outta the truck!

Rent a transmission jack at a local rental place. I've used a floor jack in the past but it was scary!

Remember, don't be a TOOL, use the right TOOL! (8th grade shop teacher wisdom)

Todd
Old 03-13-2002, 06:41 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Re: transmission weight

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
trannies are usually pretty heavy to begin w/. however when working for my uncle we would lift them on a daily basis. So if you've got some pretty strong people, it shouldn't be a problem. My advice would be to get a few skateboards and a peice of plywood, stick like 3 or 4 skateboards under the plywood and the tranny ontop. the board will distribute the weight pretty well. you'd be suprised at how much those things can take. I only need 1 for my engine and tranny in the 914
Old 03-13-2002, 07:25 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I'm guessing about 200 lbs, after having mine out a couple times, the manual weighs about half what the auto weighs.
By my scales(lifting it in and out) anyway.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-13-2002, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
160 lbs is what mine weighted. Two people can lift it easily.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 03-14-2002, 02:52 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
thanks guys!
I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival - should be here within a couple hours.

Still debating whether I should try to put this in the car myself opr take it to a shop. I've done trannys before, but something tells me this one will be quite a bit harder.
Old 03-14-2002, 03:04 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Sorry, I joined this thread late. When I had mine shipped from D.C. it weighed in at 250 lbs. The guy was going to ship it UPS, but, they had a 200 lb limit. He wound up having to "freight" it instead.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-14-2002, 03:07 PM
Lowered SVX

immortal......

take your car and tranny to a shop. save yourself the headache and future potential problems.

good luck
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 03-14-2002, 03:10 PM
Godzilla

Re: Re: transmission weight

Quote:
Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU

trannies are usually pretty heavy to begin w/. however when working for my uncle we would lift them on a daily basis. So if you've got some pretty strong people, it shouldn't be a problem. My advice would be to get a few skateboards and a peice of plywood, stick like 3 or 4 skateboards under the plywood and the tranny ontop. the board will distribute the weight pretty well. you'd be suprised at how much those things can take. I only need 1 for my engine and tranny in the 914
Well, with my V-8s, I fabricated a cradle out of plywood and 2x4's to hold the tranny in place and then put that onto a floor jack and lift it into place with the floor jack from underneath WHILE the front of the car is on jackstands (under the frame). Dont see why this wouldnt work with the SVX either. Sure would be a damn sight easier than borrowing the skateboards from all the kids in the neighborhood. While im thinking of trannies, why doesnt someone make a transmission pan that is deeper and has air tubes going through it to help cool off the fluid in the pan? They are common items for V-8's, and there seems like no reason (short of clearance issues) they wouldnt make one for the SVX.
Old 03-16-2002, 07:30 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
The driver and I were able to pick it up off the trailer (those things are tall!) and set it down on my floor creeper to roll it in the garage. It was scary seeing an 18 wheeler do a U-turn in my cul-de-sac but he made it. My back hurt a little yesterday. They had 300lbs written in as freight charge but I am guessing it is closer to the 160lbs that Stevesby quoted.