Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-02-2004, 12:54 AM
ou2mame

I'm 22.. I've had a ton of cars. I really suggest a truck as a first car. They take more of a beating, and are built with stronger parts. They are generally made to take abuse. My first car was an 86 mustang 5.0.. It was my moms before she died, had about 60k miles but was rusted pretty bad. Cheap parts, but it barely ever broke down. Then I finally sold it because the drivers side door basically rotted away at the hindge and was too lazy to get it fixed.. It would have been really expensive though. Then I got an 89 isuzu trooper that I couldn't destroy for the life of me. After that was a 93 bmw 825, but that sucked.. Thing kept breaking down. Had a volvo 740 turbo for a little bit, something else but i forget what, then I bought my 96 bronco that will probably outlive me, I've had that for 3 years now, its at 200k miles and hasn't had any major work done and has never broken down on me, then I was stupid and bought the svx (demon seed), put way too much money into it and was left with nothing but a ton of bills and warranty booklets. So I sold it for way more than it was worth to a friend who was stupid enough to buy it, knowing all the problems I had with it... and now it sits in his driveway on its 4th tranny (that I know about, but probably had another one or 2 along the way). After dropping it off at the tranny shop after the last rebuild I had, I got a 97 grand cherokee, which has a transmission... Yeah, get a truck. They're cheaper to fix, and probably won't break down as much. Plus if it does, at least you can fit your upper torso under it to at least see whats going on
Old 05-02-2004, 01:10 PM

How did you gop through so many trannies, sounds like they were rebuilt wrong. Trucks are not as cheap for parts as normal cars are from the time period. You could always get a 1 gen subaru legacy those things last forever and are extremley cheap. My dad has one that he bought at 240,000 miles, and right now its pretty much dead at 345,000 miles, lost 4th gear on the 5spd, and lost alot of compresion in the engine. Those cars extremly strong they never will give up, and i never had one break down on me. I had a friend with a old Bronco went trought 2 autos, a axel, and a tranfer case, now he has a old ford pickup with the stright 6 nad has thrown a rod throught the block twice in 2 diffrent engines.

Last edited by svxsubaru1; 05-02-2004 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:48 PM

glass tranny

I may be out line because I have a fwd svx but my stock tranny has made several high 13 second passes and several 400-600 mile road trips why would the guys who run that 9.40 at 146mph in the 1/4 mile put our tranny in there streetable wrx,and its pretty stock from what heard,it all depends on how you take care of your car yes I too have spend thousands to get my car in good shape ,but I wanted something different.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:52 PM

Yeah the trannie is strong, but it cant disipate the heat becasue the fluid passages are to small.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Im REALLY addicted! CANT STOP!

Send a message via MSN to mysvxrocks Send a message via Yahoo to mysvxrocks
Cool MY NEW INTERIOR!!!

WELL WELL WELL, I found the best interior for my new SVX, it's grey and white leather, the wood dash in it now will be replaced with silver, I'll get new florrmats that say SVX across them, And Im going to repaint the outside blue! I CANT WAIT UNTIL ITS FINISHED IT WILL BE AWESOME!!!
Old 05-02-2004, 10:53 PM
SorelyVeXed

Hey, ou2mame! I remember you from the KJ boards over at Jeeps Unlimited in early 2002. I was "pathfinder", and I remember having great technical debates/discussions with the likes of Dillinger, tusconMark, Eagle, Rich Truesdell, Bronco One, Liberty-4-All, and many others regarding the Jeep Liberty versus other Jeeps and other SUVs. I see you're still giving folks hell. Anyway, with regard to your citing Grand Cherokee reliability as being better than the SVX's reliability - many SVXers may not be aware of the litany of horror stories surrounding the Grand Cherokee (especially the WJ - particularly 1999 and 2000), and the laundry list of mechanical problems which plagued the truck - but I am. It's interesting - I see parallels in the production of the Grand Cherokee WJ and the SVX. Both were somewhat flawed executions of excellent ideas. Both had mechanical flaws in early production which led to numerous and costly repairs for owners, and both have fiercely loyal owners who are passionate about their vehicles, in spite of the aforementioned problems. And both are, despite their problems, great vehicles in their own right. While I am sorry about the numerous problems you had with your SVX, I don't think the WJ's history points to it being any more reliable. Even the most passionate of its owners don't exactly see it as the quintessential paradigm of automotive dependability! With virtually all vehicles, you will have a number of owners who have had no problems, and a number of owners who have had nothing but problems. My take - you investigate the flaws of the vehicle you own, you take as many preventive maintenance steps as possible - and pray. Your ZJ is a great truck, and I'm sure you love it. I love my SVX, issues and all. But then again, I love the Jeep Liberty too! Take care...
Old 05-03-2004, 02:57 AM
ou2mame

Quote:
Originally posted by SorelyVeXed
Hey, ou2mame! I remember you from the KJ boards over at Jeeps Unlimited in early 2002. I was "pathfinder", and I remember having great technical debates/discussions with the likes of Dillinger, tusconMark, Eagle, Rich Truesdell, Bronco One, Liberty-4-All, and many others regarding the Jeep Liberty versus other Jeeps and other SUVs. I see you're still giving folks hell. Anyway, with regard to your citing Grand Cherokee reliability as being better than the SVX's reliability - many SVXers may not be aware of the litany of horror stories surrounding the Grand Cherokee (especially the WJ - particularly 1999 and 2000), and the laundry list of mechanical problems which plagued the truck - but I am. It's interesting - I see parallels in the production of the Grand Cherokee WJ and the SVX. Both were somewhat flawed executions of excellent ideas. Both had mechanical flaws in early production which led to numerous and costly repairs for owners, and both have fiercely loyal owners who are passionate about their vehicles, in spite of the aforementioned problems. And both are, despite their problems, great vehicles in their own right. While I am sorry about the numerous problems you had with your SVX, I don't think the WJ's history points to it being any more reliable. Even the most passionate of its owners don't exactly see it as the quintessential paradigm of automotive dependability! With virtually all vehicles, you will have a number of owners who have had no problems, and a number of owners who have had nothing but problems. My take - you investigate the flaws of the vehicle you own, you take as many preventive maintenance steps as possible - and pray. Your ZJ is a great truck, and I'm sure you love it. I love my SVX, issues and all. But then again, I love the Jeep Liberty too! Take care...
I totally remember those ifs debates... and I'm still iffy about the liberty, and the zj in general. I agree that the wj has a lot of flaws, but I'm totally in denial about the zj

I'm not saying to get a grand cherokee.. I got mine dirt cheap and pretty much in mint condition. But the best luck I've had is with trucks in general. My bronco will probably outlive the zj even with twice the miles.. I'm confident in that.

I really don't think the svx is a great first car, and neither is a jeep for that matter. They both take a lot of time and money if bought used to get running right, or new to keep running..

But given the same miles, I would definitely trust my bronco or jeep compared to an svx, unless given a lot fo money, and a lot of time.

I'm sure I just had a bad experience with the svx, but it seemed like a good idea at the time, when in reality, it made me suffer more than anything else...

And the liberty... heh.. I'm pushing my girlfriend to buy one actually. It all depends on your needs. It would definitely suit hers. She's going to school in boston, and the winters are pretty rough. Her grandmother's willing to spring for a new car, and she wants my girl to get a sentra... I'm like uhh... Just get a liberty.. It pains me to say it, but it fits her needs. Plus, when my jeep's in the shop, at least hers'll be under warranty, heh..