How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-05-2003, 06:17 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

O/T Chevy Astro Van

This is way off topic except for the AWD. I am looking at buying a chevy Astro van that has been well cared for. It is 1994 LT touring model with 83k miles on it, 8 passenger seating, alloy wheels, fog lights, pw, abs, pm, cass...etc.

Does anyone have opinions on this vechicle?
Old 05-05-2003, 06:44 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Chevy Astro

AWD is a little unreliable and hard to fix compared to other systems. Engine is, well, a pushrod engine so it growls a lot. Its built on a frame so don't expect the ride quality you would from a Voyager or Odessey but overall, like most modern Chevy Vehicle it is what I would describe as average. Good at most things great at none.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:33 AM

John, I am also curious about this vehicle. My Ford Aerostar AWD is rusting to pieces and will have to be replaced soon.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:29 AM

Re: Chevy Astro

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
AWD is a little unreliable and hard to fix compared to other systems. Engine is, well, a pushrod engine so it growls a lot. Its built on a frame so don't expect the ride quality you would from a Voyager or Odessey but overall, like most modern Chevy Vehicle it is what I would describe as average. Good at most things great at none.
Thanks for the comments. Yes the ride is not that of a Voyager or Odessey and we aren't looking for that. We used to a G van and this isn't as big but it is close. The Chevy G van is a better ride but still not like an SVX. We plan to use it for camping, skiing, hauling building material. We can live with the ride to get the size.

The engine in this has acceptable noise at 60 to 70 mph. Maybe it has some extra noise insulation since it's the touring model. You should have heard are old 83 Chevy with a 3spd a/t at 70 mph and 180k on the engine.

As far as the AWD system goes, are you speaking from personal experience?
Old 05-05-2003, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mattski
John, I am also curious about this vehicle. My Ford Aerostar AWD is rusting to pieces and will have to be replaced soon.

Matt
I looked at a 1994 Aerostar AWD on Sunday, 144k miles, white, Okay shape, $2600, NO RUST, well cared, many new parts, a/c works, everything works, the back black plastic bumper is broken on top, not real bad, the tail gate doesn't line up with the tail lights by 3/8", rides nice and the engine is strong, uses a qt in 1k miles.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:36 AM

John, did it have captain's chairs in the middle row or a bench?

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:46 AM

O/T Astro AWD

Yeah, mostly from experience. Back about 5 years ago I was working for a Courier service and drove one probably 8k from Harrisburg to Syracuse every night for about 5 months. The thing had right around 100k on it and was if I remember correctly a 94ish model. During that time it had to go in for work 4 times. All electrical issues. Granted it wasn't like the trannies go or anything like that but sensor type stuff. They are a vehicle that most dealers tend not to want to buy at auction either due to the expense of AWD but then again nearly all AWD vehicles suffer the same fate at auctions.

If ride was a concern I'd say lean toward a Chrysler AWD minivan but the only way I would ever recommend a Chrysler vehicle would be as a new car or 2 years or less with low miles from a Chrylser dealer. They too have issues but mostly engine issues that they all tend to have, i.e. oil consumption.

I would think a decent Chevy Astro would fit the bill as far as a people hauler in winter. It handled decently on the snowy 81 north from Harrisburg. Not so good on ice but then again look at it. You wouldn't expect it to. I've never driven an AWD a Aerostar but have seen them do some things in snow that shocked me that they could do.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:31 AM

Re: O/T Astro AWD

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
Granted it wasn't like the trannies go or anything like that but sensor type stuff.

I've never driven an AWD a Aerostar but have seen them do some things in snow that shocked me that they could do.
You mean Tranny sensors, Right? Not engine?
From my experience Tires make a big difference in snow.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:46 AM

Re: Re: O/T Astro AWD

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

You mean Tranny sensors, Right? Not engine?
From my experience Tires make a big difference in snow.
Yeah it was tranny stuff. Not sure what as I wasn't paying nor was it my vehicle. The bills were in the $300 range.

Tires are somewhat important in the snow but what really makes a vehicle good in the snow is the driver.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:03 AM
Green1995SVX

When my parents and I would go skiing out west, we would always rent these vans. They're better than an SUV because the seats are raised off the floor of the car, so you can have all the seats in the car and still slide your skis under then. They are very VERY uncomfortible on long drives, and pretty unrefined, but the AWD system is not that bad. I remember once braving a high mountan pass in northern new mexico in one with about 4" of snow on the road and in a complete blizzard. It did a pretty impressive job of navigating these conditions.

Mike
Old 05-05-2003, 10:04 AM

I do my best driving in snow from the living room.