How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-28-2002, 05:05 PM
phoenixsvx

rpm run up

I wanted to know if anyone has had the same problem I an going through right now. I would rather take advise from other owners than someone else.
The problem is that just the other day i was driving down the freeway and the rpms in my car would run up about 1100 and then drop back down to normal. Just to day it must have done this 4 or 5 times in a matter of 15 miles. It only happens when I keep a constant speed. It doesnt feel as if they tranny is downshifting more like maybe a fuel problem. I am thinking that it is my fuel filter. Or the other dreaded*****Tranny*****
Please let me know before I need to go to the shop. If is a filter i will do it but the tranny is another story.
Old 12-28-2002, 05:29 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
more information would be helpful in this case:

do you mean the RPM's increase by 1100rpms?
how long does it do that for?
do you rest your hand on the shifter?
is it possible it's shifting into third while you are driving?

Try shifting it into third next time that happens and see if the RPM's change.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:25 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
4 no more?

sounds like it is slipping in 4th. If it is starting to do it more often, be careful. It will burn off whatever friction material is left. [if it gets very frequent, drive in 3!]

BTW Phoenix, welcome, have not seen you post before.

Try a PM to Beav, see what he thinks. The brake band operates in 4th, so tightening it might cure your problem. Might, but I don't think so.

A cheaper fix for you would be if you had a bad TPS, the Throttle Position Sensor. That could also cause strange things like you describe, but I don't know what it costs to replace.

Best of luck

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-29-2002, 02:43 PM
phoenixsvx

to earthworm
the rpms will go from 2400 to 3500 for only a few seconds, if i feel it start to rev i can take my foot of the gas and it will return before it hits 3500
I will try to shift and see if there is any change, if there is not i probably have to have the bands tightened

to svxistentialist
thanx for the welcome, i just found the site not too long ago, i do feel a little out of place because i see most everyone is back east,so far everyone seems to know quite a bite, seeing how there are only 6 svx owners in phoenix and I have yet to get any responce from any of them
Old 12-29-2002, 10:51 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I've got family in Phoenix, but none of them are particularly adept at auto maintenance.

There's a myriad of issues that can cause this to happen, have you noticed any other problems, whether you consider them related or not? Definitely try placing the tranny in 3rd when it happens, to see if it's actually dropping back a gear.
Old 01-01-2003, 02:57 PM
dart

Re: rpm run up

Quote:
Originally posted by phoenixsvx
I wanted to know if anyone has had the same problem I an going through right now. I would rather take advise from other owners than someone else.
The problem is that just the other day i was driving down the freeway and the rpms in my car would run up about 1100 and then drop back down to normal. Just to day it must have done this 4 or 5 times in a matter of 15 miles. It only happens when I keep a constant speed. It doesnt feel as if they tranny is downshifting more like maybe a fuel problem. I am thinking that it is my fuel filter. Or the other dreaded*****Tranny*****
Please let me know before I need to go to the shop. If is a filter i will do it but the tranny is another story.
Sounds like what my car was doing. It also slammed into 2nd gear as if a shift kit was installed. Replaced the TPS (throttle position sensor $147.00 at www.1stsubaruparts.com) and now it shifts nice and smooth. Another thing. I couldn't use my cruise
control until I replaced the TPS. It was just too erratic. Now it works great. Good luck with your repairs.

dart