Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-02-2010, 09:53 AM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
Re: Transmission Issue.... need advice

I would not be sure that the tranny is gone here... I had a similar experience and all I did was change the AT fluid and clean the screen etc. Changed it a couple more times over a month and it was fine. Small price to pay... if it does not work well you have not lost much
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 10-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie59 View Post
I would not be sure that the tranny is gone here... I had a similar experience and all I did was change the AT fluid and clean the screen etc. Changed it a couple more times over a month and it was fine. Small price to pay... if it does not work well you have not lost much
He has a good point. It wouldn't cost much to swap out the fluid and clean/change filters. If you do a series of partial drain and re-fills I highly suggest that the last re-fill contain a bottle of lubegard (red bottle). This is the additive that Mike Emery and I discussed over the phone. We both like it a lot and it has worked wonders for me in the past but, admittedly, the problem was a binding center differential in my case.

A case of Subaru ATF, a bottle of red Lubegard and some filters are a cheap thing to try.

Even if you keep it on Ebay you can update the listing to say that it has a working tranny and you will get a lot more $$$. Worth a shot.......

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 10-02-2010, 11:05 AM

I wouldn't feel comfortable putting additives in it, and making the tranny last a little longer.... to sell it as a "perfectly running car".

I would rather be 100% honest about it, and maybe (if you are correct), the new owner will get "lucky".

Thats why I made the videos.... I figure the more info the buyer has, the better off he/she is.
2007 Subaru B9Tribeca 7-pass ltd, PSM
1994 Subaru SVX LSi, Bourdeaux
Co-Founder / Site Admin: www.slcsubaru.com
Old 10-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
I wouldn't feel comfortable putting additives in it, and making the tranny last a little longer.... to sell it as a "perfectly running car".

I would rather be 100% honest about it, and maybe (if you are correct), the new owner will get "lucky".

Thats why I made the videos.... I figure the more info the buyer has, the better off he/she is.
Well then just try the fluid change and filter change/clean then. Your problem could be a simple one and maybe there hasn't been serious damage yet. I suggested the Lubegard not because it would mask a problem. It also has the advantage of cleaning and freeing up components that could cause symptoms of malfunction. My center diff was binding. As soon as I noticed it I did some research and found out about Lubegard. I tried it immediately and the diff stopped binding and hadn't done it again for the remaining 40K miles I had the car. I don't know how long the car will go before the problem re-surfaces or if it will ever resurface.

If it gets the car running again you can tell the prospective buyers that it is running again, what was happening, what you did to get it running right again and why you think it helped. A small investment may still gain you big returns even with full disclosure. A small investment can have a big return.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 10-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie59 View Post
You are overlooking the fact that, it drives fine in selected 1st and R.
These are the only gears that don't use the two freewheels, they use the 'low/reverse brake' instead.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.