IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Never Forget

Registered SVX
"tap tap" "click click"

yup 2 noises i dont understand

the tap sounds like exhaust leak maybe? i step on the throttle and u hear a constant tappin...i'll have to try revin the engine when im in N or P but when i drive it is a tap outta hell

the click is when i try to start my car...everything is good on the on position but when i try to start, it takes a few attempts as it clicks....starter maybe?

94 SVX L AWD Conversion Barcelona Red First car and now being restored, 215xxx
Old 04-28-2009, 03:11 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Re: "tap tap" "click click"

How's your oil level looking?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-28-2009, 04:06 PM

Re: "tap tap" "click click"

If it clicks, then does start...

Could be the starter solenoid getting weak. The solenoid is the electrical device that engages the starter gear onto the flywheel, then dis-engages it once the engine starts running. The starter motor spins the flywheel and gets the engine to turn over, they are usually packaged together.

Usually a dead battery just clicks, and doesn't start the car without a jump or some time on a battery charger, but it could theoretically be an electrical problem, but less likely than the solenoid.

The tapping, while the car is running is likely something else, unless the solenoid isn't dis-engaging properly, and is interfering with the flywheel while the engine is running. That would happen all the time that the engine runs, regardless of gear choice, and it would speed up when the engine runs faster.

but it is hard to put a finger on without more specifics.

could be a stuck hydraulic lifter, could be a flapping belt, could be exhaust, could be driveline.

Does it vary with engine RPMs, or road speed? (does it tap while the car is standing still? as you mentioned, check if it taps in Park, Neutral, or drive while standing still, or even reverse.)

If it taps with RPMs it is something on the engine, and it will maybe change speed when the transmission shifts. If it taps on road speed, then it is something after the gear-box, or something interfering with the driveline.

If it is a constant tapping regardless, then I'll leave it up to people who know the SVX better... as that might be something really odd.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 04-28-2009 at 04:10 PM.