Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Old 04-13-2009, 06:41 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Headed to VIR June 13,14

Full course at VIR, So far I will have the only svx. A guy I used to work with says he ran with the mazda guys and they are a pretty laid back group. We are staying at the track hotel..figure about $130 bux a night. We got 4 people staying in our room so that helps out a lot with cost. here is the link to spend $435 to beat your car up for 3.6 hours.

http://www.mazdadrivers.com/09_vir_j...cel_policy.htm

Here is what im taking....so far Ive got red stuff brake pads in the front and green stuff in the rear..im not a pro driver so im guessing they should hold up to fading. I have not tracked an SVX yet...guess ill do some reading up...

The taillight has been installed since pic

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 04-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Headed to VIR June 13,14

New driver's will go throught he brakes faster than experienced ones... I went through an entire set of pads when I went to Pocono. Also had some significant fade off the straights. Good luck car looks great!!

Tom
Old 04-13-2009, 08:59 PM
word words wording

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
New driver's will go throught he brakes faster than experienced ones... I went through an entire set of pads when I went to Pocono. Also had some significant fade off the straights. Good luck car looks great!!

Tom
I experienced that fade at summit point...that $hitz scarry. What pads where you using?

and thanks!

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 04-14-2009, 09:29 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Now thats a horse of a different color!

Looking good overall. Best of luck on the road and at the track.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Brake fluid. ATE Super blue or better. Other wise you will boil. And fade. Bleed the brakes after every 2 track sessions.

If you are an automatic keep it in 2. It will shift automatically only when it reaches 6400 rpm.

What tires?

Have fun.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 04-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
Brake fluid. ATE Super blue or better. Other wise you will boil. And fade. Bleed the brakes after every 2 track sessions.

If you are an automatic keep it in 2. It will shift automatically only when it reaches 6400 rpm.

What tires?

Have fun.
Valvaoline Syth. is a much cheaper and very good alternative too. We've yet to have issues but were also 1000lbs less then you are. Bleeding is the key as slade said. I'd think about mounting some stock wheelies with a decent used set of 225 r-comps as you'll more than likely need to replace whatever you have on there anyways at the end of it. Remember, slow is fast!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Benebob:

Gotta disagree with you about the R comps. A noobie is much better off with a tire that talks to him and gives him a lot of notice before it lets go. A max performance summer tire is a good selection to start with. My BFG G-Force KDW2's were a good choice for me. They gave me about 14 track days and 8000 miles on the road before they wore out on me. Plus, they were a good forgiving noobie tire, and they talked really loud when I was asking too much of them. They broke away slowly, but even so, I wound up cutting the grass several times. At least, though, I followed the cardinal track day rule:

Keep the shiny side up.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 PM
word words wording

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post

What tires?

Have fun.
I have a dot 4+ fluid in there..I was hoping for it to hold up...u dont think it will? where do you suggest getting the blue from?

Got a 5 speed. Tires are Firestone wide ovals 225/40/18. sitting on coil overs, and cooled by pwr rad.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:43 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Give me about 6 months to get the rest of the Exhaust and pro-Tune on the STi and I'll be up there at VIR with ya

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 04-15-2009, 07:32 AM
word words wording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Now thats a horse of a different color!

Looking good overall. Best of luck on the road and at the track.
color is maya gold pearl, with some house of colors rainbow metallic thanks im gonna need it..

Old 04-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Valvaoline Syth. is a much cheaper and very good alternative too. We've yet to have issues but were also 1000lbs less then you are. Bleeding is the key as slade said. I'd think about mounting some stock wheelies with a decent used set of 225 r-comps as you'll more than likely need to replace whatever you have on there anyways at the end of it. Remember, slow is fast!
I have to disagree with the valvoline synthetic. It works for low speed stuff, but it's really not comparable for road course stuff.

ATE is a 392/536* brakefluid which you can find for 10$ a liter... The valvoline synthetic is a 311/480 and costs about 5$ for just over half a liter. the old synpower stuff was the same cost with some better stats (343/543) but I'm not sure you can find that anymore because it was discontinued.

As someone else mentioned, the r-comps aren't a great idea either. That much grip with the super weak springs of the SVX leads to corner exit wheel hop like no other. I even get it with my azenis with my SVX.

Just noticed he mentioned "coilovers" in which case he might have enough spring to hold the tires against the pavement, but I do not know anything about those firestone tires.. maybe picking up some r-comps wouldn't be such a bad idea.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 04-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow View Post
I have to disagree with the valvoline synthetic. It works for low speed stuff, but it's really not comparable for road course stuff.

ATE is a 392/536* brakefluid which you can find for 10$ a liter... The valvoline synthetic is a 311/480 and costs about 5$ for just over half a liter. the old synpower stuff was the same cost with some better stats (343/543) but I'm not sure you can find that anymore because it was discontinued.

As someone else mentioned, the r-comps aren't a great idea either. That much grip with the super weak springs of the SVX leads to corner exit wheel hop like no other. I even get it with my azenis with my SVX.

Just noticed he mentioned "coilovers" in which case he might have enough spring to hold the tires against the pavement, but I do not know anything about those firestone tires.. maybe picking up some r-comps wouldn't be such a bad idea.
The Synpower is what we run (didn't know it was discontinued). We have never had an issue with it and have even broken a rear caliper due to heat but had no fade.

No I wouldn't recommend it for someone who planned a track only car but for one track event it should be more than acceptable.

As for the r-comps. Personally I wouldn't be caught dead with 18 inch rims on a track. I'm just too cheap to throw away good money for pimping tires. I used set of 1/2 life r comps (though not ideal) are a better investment assuming he still has his stock rims then cooking crappy firestones of the 18 inch variety plus it is cheaper than as shotgun said summer tires in a 16.

I agree that r-comps can be quite the handful for the novice drivers (and SVXride) but for $200-+ you won't find a better tire with more predictable results at track speeds.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:14 AM
word words wording

I have 5 bottles of the dot 4+ im just going to run that...if i have too, Ill bleed the brakes after every session. Thats something im used to doing anyway.

I havent been able to get a peep out of the firestones, GSodonis had these tires on the car he sold to me..Ive already got a new spare set of 18" falken tires my sister gave me. I plan to install them after I tear the firestones up. here is a link to them...they got good reviews and I love how sticky they are... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=0

Old 05-13-2009, 05:16 AM
word words wording

http://www.mazdadrivers.com/index.html

Time is running out! the event is 74% filled at this point.

ANY other tips for tracking the SVX?

I think I read at one point the coolant is going to "burp" or spew out on me?

Im bringing jack, jack stands, coolant , brake fluid, brake bleeding stuff, tourque wrench, electric impact, dont have any spare tires ....any other input?

Old 05-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

You said you have a 5-speed, so you'll have a lot more "Engine Braking" to aide in slowing down,which will help save your brakes too.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: