Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Liv'n the hobo life

Question Advice on drop springs/ stock strut replacement

Hello

So after reading through many, many "older" strut/ spring threads and getting a better idea of my options, I was hoping I could get some advice

My suspension is creaking and groaning at me (and the road noise sucks!), so I need to get it replaced. I was interested in the Konis inserts and motorsport warehouse drop springs, but seems like it might not be the most "reliable" option with the leaking issues on the Konis. So at this point I was thinking of just getting the drop springs from Motorsport Warehouse and going through Sears (who is getting the parts from dealership, and quoted me a price of $1209 before tax for parts/install) for 4 stock replacement Struts. Sears said just bring the drop springs and they'll throw them on when they do the struts. So my question is: does anyone with experience with the stock struts and drop springs have any advice as far as performance/ ride quality increase? I really like the look of the drop, and am very curious if they work well with the stock struts replacements. I always could just go without the drop springs...but figured if it was worth it, now would be the time . Is there any other options as far as drop springs? Dayle's really sound to be a good choice and are listed on sale for $340 right now.

Thanks
01 Outback (DD)
89 XT-6 Newest Project
Representing Vancouver, WASHINGTON! woot!
My Locker
Old 03-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
If you thought the konis leak... wait till you burn up those NOS OE struts... Not to mention, you can get them for about $500 on your own

Tom
Old 03-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Liv'n the hobo life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
If you thought the konis leak... wait till you burn up those NOS OE struts... Not to mention, you can get them for about $500 on your own

Tom
500? the Konis? or the stock ones? Just curious, as I'm trying to make the "smartest" choice on this (or wife might scowl at me), and really am not sure what route is the best= obviously How do I get them on my own? Sears quote for the struts was the same as the parts store, I assume they are all going through the dealership, as all of them put me on hold "to call around"

will the stock ones burn up quicker if I have the drop springs?
01 Outback (DD)
89 XT-6 Newest Project
My Locker
Old 03-03-2008, 12:40 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I used to have Mychailo drop springs with "new" stock struts. They lasted about a year and a half before both rears failed on me. I called subaru and they pretty much said I was SOL with my stockers

Ride quality was very good before the rears blew out. It was close to stock but had noticeably less lean, brake dive, and acceleration squat. Once the rears did fail, high speed cornering and stability was horrible. Bump steer was very common and I could not keep up anyone on bumpy highways.

Now I am onto the Koni/GC setup. The Koni's are rebuildable and have a lifetime warranty. Brake dive and acceleration squat is nearly non-existent. Rough cost breakdown for me:

Koni Inserts: 660
Ground Control Kit: 400

The amount I spent for the Stock strut and drop springs:

Close to 700 for the 4 Showa struts, spring seats, mounts
375 for the Springs.

It roughly comes out to the same price, but if I were you I would go with the Koni's instead of the stock struts regardless of which setup you choose.
2012 Camry V6 SE

Last edited by Tim; 03-03-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221 View Post
I used to have Mychailo drop springs with "new" stock struts. They lasted about a year and a half before both rears failed on me. I called subaru and they pretty much said I was SOL with my stockers

Ride quality was very good before the rears blew out. It was close to stock but had noticeably less lean, brake dive, and acceleration squat. Once the rears did fail, high speed cornering and stability was horrible. Bump steer was very common and I could not keep up anyone on bumpy highways.

Now I am onto the Koni/GC setup. The Koni's are rebuildable and have a lifetime warranty. Brake dive and acceleration squat is nearly non-existent. Rough cost breakdown for me:

Koni Inserts: 660
Ground Control Kit: 400

The amount I spent for the Stock strut and drop springs:

Close to 700 for the 4 Showa struts, spring seats, mounts
375 for the Springs.
Self install 0

It roughly comes out to the same price, but if I were you I would go with the Koni's instead of the stock struts regardless of which setup you choose.

tim is not the only one with stock replacements that failed shortly after the install. The seals that have been on them for the past 1 years not doing anything but drying out, go to crap quickly. I have two different cars with konis and I LOVE them..

Tom
Old 03-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Liv'n the hobo life

Okay, looks like I got some drop springs lined up at a great price, so I am gonna locate the Konis. Should I go directly through Koni? Or do I need to go through someone else?

Thanks for the advice guys! BIG help!
01 Outback (DD)
89 XT-6 Newest Project
My Locker
Old 03-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Maniac modifier

classicgarage.com... Tell them you are a network member and u will get at least free shipping

Tom
Old 03-03-2008, 01:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Shadabob, not trying to disuade you or anything, BUT, you do know that the Koni's require a little bit of custom work...gutting out the stock struts...if you are mechanically inclined you'll be fine and I am sure there are others here that will coach you or even help you out with it, but just thought you should know...
Old 03-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Maniac modifier

Dan is right, they are not a drop-in but not too bad.

Tom
Old 03-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Liv'n the hobo life

Hmm...I'll check out the write ups to try and see exactly what kind of work is involved. Suspension is not on my limited automotive skill list (however common sense and reading instructions is...I promise ) but I have a friend that would probably help me out no problem. He is used more to Firebirds and v8 S-10s, but I am sure it wouldnt be too difficult to do. I do have access to a spring compresser, and other tools it looks like I'd need. Worst case scenario, maybe I could find someone in my local area who has experience doing this and ask for their help (compensated of course)...umm, so anyone in the Portland/ Vancouver area who might be able to help if necessary??
01 Outback (DD)
89 XT-6 Newest Project
My Locker
Old 03-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Maniac modifier

actually you may be in luck... contact Letitsnow, he is going to coilovers and maybe he would want to sell you his old koni strut bodies and maybe the springs too

Tom
Old 03-03-2008, 03:27 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
There's also a really good writeup on nasioc.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1219607
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-03-2008, 05:24 PM

Koni Shocks & Drop Springs

I just had Konis & drop springs installed in my 96 LSi by Smartservice in Mukelteo. Took Ron almost 11 hrs. Installation cost was almost as much as the parts. Got the shocks and springs from Motorsports for $1205, shipping included. The shocks are adustable. Mine are set at midfirmness. Ride is firm but not harsh. Handling is GREAT!!!! I have the stock springs if anyone needs aset.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Liv'n the hobo life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
actually you may be in luck... contact Letitsnow, he is going to coilovers and maybe he would want to sell you his old koni strut bodies and maybe the springs too

Tom
Lol, wierd, I did a post a couple hours ago...but I guess I didnt actually submit it, doh. So here it is "again"

Tom has guessed my "source" for the drop springs . The Konis I'm gonning get from the website Tom suggested, and then my friend and I are gonna install them. He's done inserts on Civics, and said they are cake. I told him there was a little "custom" work to be done, but sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for all the feedback! All my questions were answered that I couldnt find in the older posts
01 Outback (DD)
89 XT-6 Newest Project
My Locker
Old 03-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Liv'n the hobo life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221 View Post
There's also a really good writeup on nasioc.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1219607

Excellent! That is exactly what I needed. Doesnt look to hard at all.
01 Outback (DD)
89 XT-6 Newest Project
My Locker