How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Work, Sleep, SVX, Repeat

tranny write-up

if anyone has one, or knows where to find one online, I just want the tool list and simple write-up of how to install, a stock tranny.
1991 Non-Turbo MR2 214,xxx, replaced engine at 190,xxx

Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny...
Old 02-11-2008, 11:39 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
I cant find a write-up for OEM tranny, but there is a write-up for 4.44/4/11 swap thou. There isnt much difference between them in installing thou. You can contact svxfiles, he has a write-up for it.
As per parts list and tools list, you can check his locker where you can find the following documents-

Parts List

Tools list

The parts list if for 4.44/4.11 swap, but other than that you may get the rest of the parts.

-Pavan
Old 02-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Improv one coming your way....

You'll need:
10, 10, 14, 17mm sockets and wrenches
ratchet extensions
pliars, perhaps
a hammer and punch
screwdrivers
a jack that can lift the car 2 feet or more
jackstands that can hold the car roughly two feet in the air
a transmission jack

Firrst, youll need to get the car in the air. this can be tricky without the right tools, or if you havent done it before

Start by unbolting / hacking apart the exhaust. The whole thing needs to come down..unbolt it at the exhaust manifolds , the transmission hanger,and the rubber hangers in the middle. Now you need to unhook the other rubber hangers...this essentially takes a screwdriver and brute force..theres on at the center, and FOUR on the muffler. Dont forget to unbolt that grounding strap on the muffler

Next your gonna want to get the axles off. Before you do this, youll need to pull out the lower ball joints. Loosen the bolt that clamps at the end of the lower control arm it in and simply pull it down off of it. Now, you have to hammer the roll pin out of the axle (transmission side) and slide the axle off of the transmission.(Removing the lower ball joing allows you to swing t out enough to get the axle off the transmission stub)

Also, you need to unhook the shift linkage. its just removing the cotter pin from the thingy on the trans and sliding the eyelet end of the shifter cable off

Now to the top: you need to remove the torque converter bolts. Theese can be accessesed through a small hole in the transmission case o the passenger side, where it meets the motor. Theres supposed to be a rubber plug there, but there might not be.
youll need to be able to access inside the hole, it may be tight. Some people remove the throttle body, others remove the alternator and run like 2 feet worth of extensions under the intake manifold. Either way, your probly not going to see the bolts, until you get a ratchet onto the big bolt on your crank puly, and turn the motor over clockwise until you see them. There are 4 to remove.

Once those are out, remove the starter. One bolt goes through the trans and into the engine..theres another one like this on the other side of the trans. Theese are the two top bolts that hold the trans to the engine. The starter is also held in with a nut right where you cant reach it, and the ground bolted to the back, and the litthe thingy that plugs into it from the firewall. youll know what Im talking about when you see it

at this point, find something you can use to keep the engine from flopping forard. a block of wood between say, the font of the intake manifold and the back of the rad support works okay, if you have nothing else. now unbolt the dogbone

Get yourself under the car, and, with transmission jack in place, unbolt the lower two nuts from the transmission.you also need to unbolt the transmission cross member and front torque bar.

Now your going to need to get the transmission off of the engine. It may take some prying, pulling, shaking, cursing, prying, ext. but it will come off

Reinstallation: Make sure the alighnment pins on the new transmission wont interfere with any that may still be stuck in the engine block. jack it up, and try to slide the trans onto the lower studs, then push it into place. bolt evryting back together. done
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 02-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Work, Sleep, SVX, Repeat

well in my infinite wisdom I decided that I'd get one of the service discs online, with all the proper installation and repair how-to. go eBay go!!! So within about a week I'll have the exact information, but you explained it about as well as I think needs be. This will be my first time trying to install a transmission, so with luck on my side, I'll do it right
1991 Non-Turbo MR2 214,xxx, replaced engine at 190,xxx

Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny...
Old 02-12-2008, 10:53 AM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeneathNorthernSkys View Post
well in my infinite wisdom I decided that I'd get one of the service discs online, with all the proper installation and repair how-to. go eBay go!!! So within about a week I'll have the exact information, but you explained it about as well as I think needs be. This will be my first time trying to install a transmission, so with luck on my side, I'll do it right
Believe me, its not tht difficult to do tranny in these cars, make sure to slide it onto the studs perfectly while installing and the ground wire on the tranny.

gud luck,
-Pavan.