How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-09-2006, 02:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
my svx WAS broken ...i swear!!

On friday I hopped into the svx, started driving, it's in it's high idle cold start mode (sure fine). But then as I come to a stop the idle DROPS to 1,000 (which is actually high), car is shaking a little, check engine light pops on.

Then 10 seconds later the engine revs back up into high idle (guessing open-loop system from the ecu). Then after a few moments it tries to ease the idle down (closed loop system) and it fails. Same thing, idle SLAMS to 1,000 shake and CEL. 10 seconds later ...high idle is back. [and the car is fully warmed up at this point]

What normally happens is I'll start it up, it's cold, idles high. Then I drive it warms up and the idle will lower gradually to a steady 600-700 rpms nice and smooth. Not on Friday.

So I drove back to my house in open-loop mode and was pissed off ...called my friend told him he had to pick me up and I just went out as I planned.

Saturday I investigate and guess what - SHE'S RUNNING FINE!!!! It's now sunday and it's still driving good.

So what gives? I can't pull codes because now there's no more CEL. I need my SVX to be reliable and this can't happen on my way to work.

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 04-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Christine :/
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:52 PM
<<<Alcyone

Try to pull codes anyway.

The TCU stores old as well as current codes, I think the ECU does also?

Good luck - As others have said on this site, intermittent electrical problems can be a 'female dog' to track down!

Dan
Old 04-09-2006, 04:11 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Yes, you can pull the stored codes. SVXi are OBD-I up to 1995 so..it's really easy to pull codes.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 04-09-2006, 05:51 PM

Codes:

24: Idle Speed Control Solenoid Valve
38: Engine Torque Control

I understand code-24 because sometimes I'll get a CEL when I'm rolling with the clutch let out by just using the car's idle ...usually it'll drop to where the engine is barely running....just making the idle move the car (I'm in bumper to bumper traffice everyday so I cant really ride the clutch). But then once the idle goes back to normal the CEL will come off.

but code-38 - what the heck? I don't have the torque control hooked up to anything. the TCU has been removed and I didn't hook up the nuetral safety to the clutch switch. And when I did I had the "infamous 5mt stall problem" more frequently from the rpms dropping abruptly when going into N

with that said- I cleared the codes and I'm going to do driving around. I was told a flaky MAF could cause this problem - makes sense to me. I just don't want to get stuck because the engine is bogging down.

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Although this may have absolutly nothing to do with it....I know that john had a really high idle in cold weather, and it would run crappily. He has to let the car warm up to operating temperature, turn the car off, and restart it. I forget exactly what caused this, but it was a 5 speed swap related issue. Mabey he will chime in with some mroe info

But then again, im probly completely wrong.I want P.F.Chang's
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 04-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Green1995SVX

Sounds to me like a gunked up IAC. Pop it off and clean it out with some carb cleaner.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:50 AM

Do you have the torque control jumped to ground like instructs in his 5mt guide picture? This would cause the 38, but I agree with bunny about cleaning the IAC.

My cold weather issues were due to the car thinking it's in drive with the 5mt, I made a switch that fixes the problem, so I can retain cruise control but switch to neutral when it's cold. It's better to let the car warm up though, anyway.

You're stall problem is because of the lightweight flywheel. At least in my opinion.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:02 AM

I had the torque signal jumped in the beginning of the swap (months ago) ...not anymore.

You can use the NSS inside the manual transmission to make the car think it's in Nuetral either with a relay or a more reliable solid state relay/transistor. This is much better so that whenever the shifter is in the N position, so is the ECU. Pretty cool seeing the N light appear on the dash when the gearbox is really in nuetral.

After a bit you figure out how to get the SVX 5MT to stall. Usually it's from engine braking for an extended period of time, zero throttle, and then pushing the clutch in [which most people do around a corner]....just don't do that and it won't stall.

Oh, and it's now Wednesday and i've put on about 150 miles since the problem ....still drives normal. Interesting hicup.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I thought you wrecked it??

Tom
Old 04-12-2006, 12:38 PM

It's all body damage, the car pulls, and the brakes pulsate. Just not my dream car anymore ...well at least this particular SVX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
I thought you wrecked it??

Tom

Old 04-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
oh, I didn't think it was drivable anymore. Glad to hear it still moves

Tom