SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-12-2006, 02:50 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn360
So does B8=B68? I dont have a FSM.
Sorry for the confusion. The three plugs going into the TCU are B66, B67 and B68. In the TCU wiring diagram, these are refered to as a, b, and c respectively.

b8 refers to pin 8 of B67 (the middle one of the three connectors). It's a white wire.

Diagram for reference:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/b3lha/33820.jpg
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 04-12-2006, 05:54 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX-FF

BTW what is Trevor's problem, boy is he snappy

Steve
I dunno. cant someone post a non-sense making, cant you tell ive been drinking post?

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 04-12-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
Sorry for the confusion. The three plugs going into the TCU are B66, B67 and B68. In the TCU wiring diagram, these are refered to as a, b, and c respectively.

b8 refers to pin 8 of B67 (the middle one of the three connectors). It's a white wire.

Diagram for reference:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/b3lha/33820.jpg

Ok thanks I will check it out as Mike hasnt even replied as to wether or not he shipped out the tcu (hopefully he did and he is just away from his comp)

1993 Ford Probe 30mpg 213k
1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running
Old 04-15-2006, 01:16 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Could be the ATF temperature sensor in the trans, that is reading wrong. It will put it in Power Mode, to cool the ATF.

Harvey.
Trevor ---- Are you saying that this will raise the shift points at all degrees of throttle opening and will as a result, lower the transmission fluid temparature to a worthwhile degree ? If so, those with Power Mode switch could keep this mode in constant operation to advantage. It is strange that this idea has not been previously been brought up here.

Harvey this is an interesting concept you have outlined and I had hoped for a reply to the above, as possible advantages of use to members are indicated.

I always drive in third within city limts in order to prevent the transmission from hunting up and down in and out of drive. Using power mode would move up the shift points, as I see it, only at full full throttle. But there should be no hunting betewen low and second. There is reason for further investigation, in order to possibly utilise this feature as a means of protecting the transmission against overheating. Circuitry must exist involving the ATF temperature sensor and it may be possible to incorporate some form of overide switch.

Others will be interested in this prospect and your reply will be appreciated, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-15-2006, 01:55 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Using power mode would move up the shift points, as I see it, only at full full throttle.
When the power mode is on, the shift point will go higher. But it's not necessary when at full throttle, I could activate my power mode anytime as I wish, the way to do that is quickly put down some gas on the pedal no matter how much, as it's quick enough the power mode will be activated...

PS: I haven't done full throttle on my yellow one after the second swap...trying to take it easy first. (only 300miles driven) I tested it the other night...I only quickly moved down my throttle about 1/3, the power mode could raise my shift point at 5000rpm of the second gear.

Spinn360, as you said, your power mode will randomly activate. But could you activate your power mode when you want to?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 04-15-2006, 03:49 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
If so, those with Power Mode switch could keep this mode in constant operation to advantage. It is strange that this idea has not been previously been brought up here.
It has been brought up before. I remember this being discussed in the Euro forum some time ago, though I can't find the thread at present.

I keep the power switch on all the time except during motorway cruising. I've found that it does not seem to effect the overall fuel economy and I enjoy the more responsive feel. I also use position 3 a lot and hopefully these measures taken together will extend the life of the transmission.

There are so few of us with JDM cars that the idea is irrelevant to most people. I recently suggested that someone with a USDM SVX should try connecting a switch in the same way that the JDM one is connected and see if it works.

Does power mode definitely stop the TC from locking? As Earthworm said, that could be a downside due to the extra heat generated. I can never really tell whether mine is locked or not, but the SVX is always very responsive, power mode or not. When I press the pedal, the acceleration is *instant*. On all other automatics I've driven, (mostly Mercedes, but also Jaguar, Vauxhall, Peugeot and a few others), when I press the pedal, the rev counter climbs and then a few seconds pass before the car starts to accelerate.

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II

Last edited by b3lha; 04-15-2006 at 04:06 AM.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Power mode.

I found this bit on it, from a while ago,
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ght=power+mode

In the Australian Manual, it says that the ATF temp sensor, "Detects ATF temperature. This signal is used for inhibition of Lock up, release of OD and detection of ATF temperature."

So it looks like it unlocks the converter, and shifts it back to 3rd. A bit different to the End Wrench description.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:32 PM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
In the Australian Manual, it says that the ATF temp sensor, "Detects ATF temperature. This signal is used for inhibition of Lock up, release of OD and detection of ATF temperature."
Harvey.
Wow, the ATF temp sensor detects the ATF temperature!

Harvey, please don't take offense, I'm poking fun at the manual, not you.

Good info as usual!

Dan
Old 04-15-2006, 06:10 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
I found this bit on it, from a while ago,
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ght=power+mode

So it looks like it unlocks the converter, and shifts it back to 3rd. A bit different to the End Wrench description.

Harvey.
I am awaiting a reply to my direct question but the above is interesting.

If the signal unlocks the torque converter, surely this will result in the opposite of a reduction of heat within the trasmission. Shifting back to third will surely not offset possible heat generation by the converter, which several here have pointed out, could be a major culprit. We still do not have an answer as to what has been suggested.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil
Wow, the ATF temp sensor detects the ATF temperature!

Harvey, please don't take offense, I'm poking fun at the manual, not you.

Good info as usual!

Dan
Yes Dan, a cute description. I guess they mean that it turns on the ATF temp light.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:37 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
yeah, never thought it would kick it into power mode just keep the TC from lcoking up to get the fluid going. Maybe if the engine begins to overheat it will kick to power mode, rushing coolant and trans fluid through the radiator faster??

Tom
Old 04-17-2006, 06:22 PM

more info

I havent checked the wire yet. but I thought I would post on a new occurance. The speedometer is bouncing up and down as I drive it. sometimes with the rpms sometimes not. Does the tcu see this? could this have something to do with my problem. Also I was thinking about when I first got the car. The battery was barely grounded. I didnt know this until problems started to happen. The abs light blinked. the powersteering light blinked and I had and didnt have pwersteering. I found out shortly after that the ground wires were: 1 was connected to plastic, 1 was corroded at connection, 1 was nearly burnt(this was the one that was the only one connected) I think this might have fried my TCU but the only thing is that that all happened over a year ago, and as soon as I re-ground the batt the problems went away. So what do you think???

1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running
Old 04-17-2006, 06:43 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn360
I havent checked the wire yet. but I thought I would post on a new occurance. The speedometer is bouncing up and down as I drive it. sometimes with the rpms sometimes not. Does the tcu see this? could this have something to do with my problem. Also I was thinking about when I first got the car. The battery was barely grounded. I didnt know this until problems started to happen. The abs light blinked. the powersteering light blinked and I had and didnt have pwersteering. I found out shortly after that the ground wires were: 1 was connected to plastic, 1 was corroded at connection, 1 was nearly burnt(this was the one that was the only one connected) I think this might have fried my TCU but the only thing is that that all happened over a year ago, and as soon as I re-ground the batt the problems went away. So what do you think???
From what you say, it would appear that in spite of the high resistance ground connection, you were still able to start the car. Unless the battery became completely disconnected when the car was running, resulting in the alternator charging against an open circuit, there will have been no damage.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:37 AM

ok so no damage from the one little wire that was nearly burnt bieng the only ground.

But now the speedometer says I am going 60 on start up if I give it gas I can get it up to 160. Hey maybe I will take a picture so I can post how fast my SVX can go! And not even running properly!!

Well maybe I will test that wire out if I get a chance after work. If the tcu still hasnt come that is. Does the speedometer get info from the tcu? because if I remember correctly theres wires on the front diff for the speedometer right?

1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running

Last edited by spinn360; 04-18-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Phil & Belha

You can see the wiring in the diagram I posted earlier. The signal from speed sensor 2 goes to the TCU and the speedo.

It sounds like you might have a ground fault in the wiring for the TCU.

The TPS wire shorting to ground causes the power mode to come on.
The Speed sensor wire intermittantly shorting to ground due to engine vibration might produce pulses that the speedo would misinterpret as a speed signal.

Trevor, or one of the other electronics experts may have a better theory.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II