Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-01-2006, 07:35 AM

I really doubt he hooked to the wheel, he probaby went through the wheel well and hooked to the front axle, the strap probably broke this.

Danny, this piece should be able to be mig welded if you're careful and let it cool after short intervals. I know if I did it it would be plenty strong.

Good luck getting money from the state or towing company.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:47 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvPPoW
Danny, this piece should be able to be mig welded if you're careful and let it cool after short intervals. I know if I did it it would be plenty strong.

Good luck getting money from the state or towing company.
It is doable but will take a lot of time and effort for something satisfactory but not acceptable. Plus I cannot understand how you would weld it with those delicate rubber rings inside... they wouldn't hold because of age. If his struts were still brand new, this is another story. If the car was yours, would you be asking the tow company to WELD it or replace the whole strut?

I learned in life that for one to get the max, he should get the max.
I once had an accident in my former BMW, it wasn't my fault at all, the other guy was held liable for 80% of the damage's total cost, I went to his insurance company, and the employee there payed me third of what I am supposed to get, he gave me a check. so I got and started shouting and yelling at the manager in front of all people until he felt embarrased and gave me another check of the difference!!!

Either Cop or Tow truck driver or anyone else, I wouldn't have paid a nickel until my problem is fixed...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:56 AM

Lady cut me off and I hit her. I popped out the dent myself and bought clear corners.

Pennsylvania roads killed my shoguns. I'm planning on widening/repairing them.

I wasn't talking about asking the towing company to weld it, It's something I'd do myself. I've towed cars, and it's not the easiest thing to do, especially when not on level ground. And I think you have to realize that the driver is human too. **** happens, and when it does, don't tip him.

All I'm trying to say is, if you want them to fix it, that's fine, just show a little respect. Calling the driver a redneck and what-not is extremely immature and will not get you anywhere.

Did you even try calling the company yet? Did you explain the damages to them calmly and professionally? I'm sure that if you did, the driver would feel just as bad about the whole thing as you do.

Try to work with people, not against them

Last edited by AvPPoW; 03-01-2006 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvPPoW
I really doubt he hooked to the wheel, he probaby went through the wheel well and hooked to the front axle, the strap probably broke this.
Some tow truck drivers really are that stupid. One tried to winch our SVX onto the back of his truck. I wasn't watching him because I assumed he knew his job, then I heard the loud crack from under the car. WTF??? He had attached the winch onto a rear steering rod - which had bent to about 90 degrees and then snapped.

Anyway, the towing company insurance paid for the repairs and a courtesy car for the 3 months or so that it took to acquire the parts from Japan.

I think in this case too, Intellibomb should be able to claim from the insurance of the towing company. This should be the first option to pursue. Maybe the system is different in the US, but over here, the insurance company would send their own assessor to inspect the damage to the car. Then they would authorise the dealer to do the repair and charge it to them.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 03-01-2006, 08:36 AM
pnyklr

I have worked with my friend tow truck company and I have no idea why he would hook up the hook to a strut ... I believe dont quote me it goes around the LCA's (but its been quite a while) I guess be lucky he didnt show up with a wheel lift tow truck
Old 03-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr
I have worked with my friend tow truck company and I have no idea why he would hook up the hook to a strut ... I believe dont quote me it goes around the LCA's (but its been quite a while) I guess be lucky he didnt show up with a wheel lift tow truck

Probably because it is easy/he is lazy, I watched a driver do the same thing to a buddies truck, I told him to hook it to the frame and he said "I didn't park it here" refering to the location of the stuck truck.
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:29 AM

<<oh, i forgot
AND
i couldnt even use my AAA. he made me pay cash then get reimbursed later.>>

why didn't you call AAA while you were waiting the 2 1/2 hours?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:51 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Why whine about it? He shouldn't have run off the road in the first place, of course something is going to get broken. He's lucky it wasn't more.
not whining, just venting. yes, i DID go off the road. . . . INTO SAND.
it most definitely was not the sand that broke my suspension

Quote:
No, get the money first, THEN go out and weld it and be done with it.
that is what i was thinking,,, cuz if i get a whole new strut i will have one new strut and 3 OE struts,,,

Quote:
Get a Subaru dealership or good mechanic to give you a comprehensive, written estimate for restoring to car to "pre-tow" condition; if you can get them to state that the damage was apparently a consequence of the tow and not the accident, so much the better.

Now, the dilemma you face is, you've got a tow-truck driver whose competence would probably be backed-up by the police officer on the scene, should the matter come down to some legal proceeding. And to add insult to injury, you "owe" them $220. I mean, it certainly can't hurt to run this by an attorney (unless you're paying for the consult), but honestly, if you can present the repair estimate to the towing outfit, make legal action noises and persuade them to call it even, you'll be doing well. It's a no-win situation. Good luck.
i agree... i am going to the local subaru dealer today to get the estimate, and im confident they will notice that the breakage was not a normal operating incident.
it does suck though.

Quote:
And I think you have to realize that the driver is human too.

All I'm trying to say is, if you want them to fix it, that's fine, just show a little respect. Calling the driver a redneck and what-not is extremely immature and will not get you anywhere.

Did you even try calling the company yet? Did you explain the damages to them calmly and professionally? I'm sure that if you did, the driver would feel just as bad about the whole thing as you do.

Try to work with people, not against them
i agree about showing respect and whatnot, and take note that the venting that i leave here is more for VENTING and not how i am actually handling the situation. abouty the driver feeling bad about it, not likely. i have dealt with this company (a one truck company, driver/owner) before and he IS a redneck, and he DOESNT care. i had a 1990 honda prelude that got towed and subsequently impounded (MY BAD, parked in the wrong spot ) but, after TWO WEEKS of struggling just to GET TO MY CAR IN THE IMPOUND (they made me jump through that many hoops DAMN THEM) i got to my car..... only to find it TOTALLED. CRUNCHED. it was plowed by a SNOWPLOW! there was no snow where i was parked! i told em to forget it, and they were trying to charge me some $4000 fees etc. after two years legal battle i got that off my credit record, but no recourse for my totalled car.

and now this.

Quote:
when i told him to hook it to the frame he said"I didn't park it here" refering to the location of the stuck truck
yeah, when i nicely suggested he should use the tow hooks because thats what they are there for, he said, "maybe next time you shouldnt go off the road"
WTF? no **** sherlock, it was not my intention to go off the road. but that is not his job, to damage my car! his job is to get my car back on the road. when the tow does considerably more damage than getting the car stuck, there is a problem. correct me if im wrong, but they are called "tow hooks" and not "METAL BRACKETS HOOKED TO FRAMED DESIGNED TO BE IGNORED WHILST BEING TOWED"

Quote:
why didn't you call AAA while you were waiting the 2 1/2 hours?
ahh... i did. but i was up in the mountains, and the nearest AAA tow co was far far away... and redneck inc was right down the road.
the AAA guys never made it, and the cop INSISTED WITH HIS AUTHORITAY that it get towed NOW, and not wait for my tow co.

the f-ed part is this towing company has a monopoly for the entire mountain pass. i talked to BIG O about it, and they said they have seen this company bring them cars they towed for repairs... one case (a honda civic) they pulled the wheel tow gig, .... AND RIPPED THE ENTIRE HUB OFF THE CAR. yeah.

Quote:
I think in this case too, Intellibomb should be able to claim from the insurance of the towing company. This should be the first option to pursue. Maybe the system is different in the US, but over here, the insurance company would send their own assessor to inspect the damage to the car. Then they would authorise the dealer to do the repair and charge it to them.
i am in the process of trying that...
they are attempting to give me the runaround.

i have compiled a formal demand letter,
and if i do not get a reolution over the phone i am going to send the letter (via certified mail) to em and will see them in court.

thanks for all your inputs folks.

i think im gonna get a winch and install it inside my front bumper

Last edited by intellibomb; 03-01-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intellibomb
i agree about showing respect and whatnot
Quote:
ahh... i did. but i was up in the mountains, and the nearest AAA tow co was far far away... and redneck inc was right down the road.
Crazy kids
Old 03-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

crazy kids
Old 03-01-2006, 09:14 PM

Crazy ****ing Kids

Last edited by intellibomb; 03-01-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
Some tow truck drivers really are that stupid. One tried to winch our SVX onto the back of his truck. I wasn't watching him because I assumed he knew his job, then I heard the loud crack from under the car. WTF??? He had attached the winch onto a rear steering rod - which had bent to about 90 degrees and then snapped.

Anyway, the towing company insurance paid for the repairs and a courtesy car for the 3 months or so that it took to acquire the parts from Japan.

I have seen cars that were only 'moderately' damaged become 'total losses' at the hands of a tow guy!!
I ran my trucks for several years, and NEVER damaged someones car by doing something STUPID!!
But, because of the actions of STUPID tow guys, my insurance cost so much that I now have 2 tow trucks and a rollback parked at the farm, and only use them for my own entertainment, or to move something heavy from one side of the farm to the other!!
I never had a claim in the 4 years I ran my trucks, and put 100k on the Ford. I just couldn't justify the insurance payments for the return.

I would have had to put someone else in the drivers seat, and went 24-7 to get the jobs that it would take to pay the bills. I saw how non-owner operated trucks were treated, and decided that it would cost me LESS to park them, so I did!

Jerry

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry