How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Superbeast

I think it's time for new paint.

So has anyone here really had a good experiance with an auto body shop? I'm will start looking around for a GOOD place near me soon but I would like to know who here ha had a repaint and was very impressed with it? I've delt with and seen several body shop work before and I've always been scared of the work....overspray in the wheelwells, sanding marks in the paint, runs, drips, and generaly no pride in the work. I just want to know if it's possible to get a good job done? I'm ready to pay big money to have it come out the way I want....but it better come out the way I want!!!!!!!!

So who has been impressed and how much did you pay t get it done?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 02-20-2006, 11:00 PM
One teal and One yellow

Are you okay with 5 grands? Long time ago, when I was thinking of painting my Teal SVX, I spoke with some shops. Some of them gave me an estimate of 5 grands and guaranteed like show room quality...

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Look who back Sorry Jesse I don't know anyone close to you but I know a guy who owns a shop in Pennsylvania that does excellent work. He is the same guy I got my factory paint from. Granted I did the paint so it was less than "Showroom" I could track down the guys who repainted my silver. They did a great job!!

Tom

Tom
Old 02-21-2006, 09:47 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
I'm guessing you received your tax refund....
Old 02-21-2006, 08:49 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX
Are you okay with 5 grands? Long time ago, when I was thinking of painting my Teal SVX, I spoke with some shops. Some of them gave me an estimate of 5 grands and guaranteed like show room quality...

Well I can afford 5grand as long as it comes out the way i want. It only needs a little body work (no rust work) and the fiberglass bumper and hood fitted and painted. My biggest thing would be overspray, I don't even want to be able to tell the car has been repainted when I'm taking stuff apart to work on it.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:39 AM

I went to a small place in Marietta PA. Rick Wise Body Shop. It was $3200 to paint my Legacy and trim factory color with glass pearl instead of plastic pearl. Show car finish with no runs or orange peel.

It would've been a little more if I wanted the inside of the doors painted. I'm still reconsidering having that done.

The only problem I had with him was that he forgot to paint the door handles, which he was a little embarassed about, and a small white hair in the hood that I pointed out and had to get a little stern with him to fix. But were cool now. Everyone complements the paint job, even other body shops!
Old 02-22-2006, 09:49 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Hey mang...I tink u should paint it primer grey and hang some dingleberries in the inside and maybe even lower the car more
Old 02-22-2006, 11:05 AM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I got lucky!

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 02-22-2006, 11:21 AM
Old Guy

You can help yourself money-wise and quality-wise if you invest some of your own time and effort in the prep of the car. For instance, I notice you will be replacing the bumpers and hood. Remove the old ones from your car, and remove your lights and grille. Clean and tape off where necessary. Are you changing colors? If so, remove all the stickers and manufacturers plates from inside the doors, hood, trunk lid and gas filler lid. Do you have a sunroof? If so, clean and tape off the rubber moulding. Will you risk removing the rear window and windshield (expensive breakage)? If not, clean their rubber mouldings and tape them off. Are there dings on the fenders or doors that you will have repaired? If so, remove your door panels and inner-fender liners. Take time and make a cardboard engine bay cover to fit, and take it with you to the body shop. Have them tape it in place over the engine bay during their painting procedures. Remove the plastic insert and drains under the wipers, and remove the wipers themselves, front and rear. Tape your radio antenna mast. If you really want to help yourself, make a cardboard insert that will fit inside each of your door openings and take them with you to the paint shop, have them tape these in place to protect the interior of the car. Clean the interior and remove the floor mats. Do you have an SVX decal on the side of your car? If so, remove it if you can. Will you be having your wheels done as well? If so, remove and thoroughly clean your wheels and tires, front and back, and do not reinstall your wheel centers (carry them with you to the paint shop). Have your estimate include all the little things you will do to the car prior to bringing it to the shop. You'll be surprised at the money you can save by doing some of these labor intensive but simple prep steps yourself. AND, you ensure that critical masking is done that might otherwise be overlooked. Check with your DMV about whether or not you can legally drive your car to the paint shop with items removed/taped. If not, maybe you can trailer it there. Of course all this depends on how far you are skilled and willing to go. Talk to your paint & body shop about what you can do to save money and to better ensure the quality work you want.
Preston
Old 02-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSides
You can help yourself money-wise and quality-wise if you invest some of your own time and effort in the prep of the car. For instance, I notice you will be replacing the bumpers and hood. Remove the old ones from your car, and remove your lights and grille. Clean and tape off where necessary. Are you changing colors? If so, remove all the stickers and manufacturers plates from inside the doors, hood, trunk lid and gas filler lid. Do you have a sunroof? If so, clean and tape off the rubber moulding. Will you risk removing the rear window and windshield (expensive breakage)? If not, clean their rubber mouldings and tape them off. Are there dings on the fenders or doors that you will have repaired? If so, remove your door panels and inner-fender liners. Take time and make a cardboard engine bay cover to fit, and take it with you to the body shop. Have them tape it in place over the engine bay during their painting procedures. Remove the plastic insert and drains under the wipers, and remove the wipers themselves, front and rear. Tape your radio antenna mast. If you really want to help yourself, make a cardboard insert that will fit inside each of your door openings and take them with you to the paint shop, have them tape these in place to protect the interior of the car. Clean the interior and remove the floor mats. Do you have an SVX decal on the side of your car? If so, remove it if you can. Will you be having your wheels done as well? If so, remove and thoroughly clean your wheels and tires, front and back, and do not reinstall your wheel centers (carry them with you to the paint shop). Have your estimate include all the little things you will do to the car prior to bringing it to the shop. You'll be surprised at the money you can save by doing some of these labor intensive but simple prep steps yourself. AND, you ensure that critical masking is done that might otherwise be overlooked. Check with your DMV about whether or not you can legally drive your car to the paint shop with items removed/taped. If not, maybe you can trailer it there. Of course all this depends on how far you are skilled and willing to go. Talk to your paint & body shop about what you can do to save money and to better ensure the quality work you want.
Preston

Hay those are good ideas, thanks for the tips.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:25 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Don't forget, blue tape!!! It is a little pricy, but dosn't leave the residue that masking tape leaves.
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.