Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-31-2006, 08:43 AM

hey new guy here with some questions

hi i am looking into buying a 93 svx, what are some things i should look for to be wrong, it has 144000 miles and has a rear bearing that is going out. im just trying to see if this car is going to be for me, im a college student and i need a car that isn't diffucult to up keep. im sure the svx would get the women, any input would be greatly appriciated.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:46 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysn
hi i am looking into buying a 93 svx, what are some things i should look for to be wrong, it has 144000 miles and has a rear bearing that is going out. im just trying to see if this car is going to be for me, im a college student and i need a car that isn't diffucult to up keep. im sure the svx would get the women, any input would be greatly appriciated.

I would suggest to look elsewhere then. I'm a college student too and im poor as hell....and having an SVX is great and all but im sure my wallet would be alot fatter if i had another car . But if you really want the car look out for the bearings...make sure the car isn't leaking any kind of fluids...and check to see the transmission fluid especially. it should be a pinkish/red color....and see how the tranny shifts.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 01-31-2006, 09:04 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
I'd look for a 96-2000 Civic and work on building your character to get the women.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:41 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
I'd look for a 96-2000 Civic and work on building your character to get the women.
That's harsh from you brian.... is it wrong for a fisherman to use a special hook to catch the fish he wants? getting to know a person takes a little bit of time, so the intermediary at first could be our very own and lovely hot SVX

Tysn, the SVX's parts are costly, we are telling you the truth, but if you really maintain your car very well, go grab that 93. Or else get a cheaper more economical car...
BTW, how much are they asking for that 93?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:06 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
This car gets expensive to keep up mostly because it was only made for 5 years and discontinued. Keep in mind it originally runs on premium fuel, unless the previous owner has modded the car to run on 87 octane. My suggestion, work a p/t job while going to school and keep up with the routine maintenance for this vehicle. Oh yeah, the chicks will say something like "what's with the weird windows?" lol
Old 01-31-2006, 10:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to pipedream
da chicks- they dig, ya!
good happy times!#

bad expensive svx.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:44 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
SVXi are reasonable priced now and many kids(college and high school) are swarming to them. The cost of upkeep is something no one really thinks about and the cars go to crap because they cannot offord it. Please do yourself and this SVX a favor and look elsewhere as maint. is not cheap. It can easily cost over 4k a year in just maint.

Tom
Old 01-31-2006, 10:59 AM

If you've fallen for the car, appreciate it for what it is (and isn't), and have the resources and willpower to spend $1-2-3-4000 in one pop as need be, then buy it. If not, keep looking.

dcb
Old 01-31-2006, 11:08 AM

Im a college student too, and I love the SVX, but damn is it costly to maintain. So far, in the 4 months I have had my SVX, I have had to replace the engine temperature sensor and the fan relays to make my engine cooling fans work, replace my alternator and battery because my old alternator died, which also killed my battery, replace my knock sensor because #2 went out, clean my TPS and MAF because of a weird idle (which still isnt all of the way gone), replace my transmission resistor because of a blinking power light, hunt for wiring gremlins because my center console shift indicator lights only come on sometimes, put in new fog lights, replace the power steering return hose, replace the timing belt, water pump, upper radiator hose, cam and crank seals, valve cover gaskets, and this is all on top of the fact that I need a new windshield, a drivers side fender, new main window control panel, new hood props, new sun visors, and some other little things, like installing my aftermarket stereo, and restoring some of the little trim pieces inside, like the trunk release lever. So be prepared. The only plus side to my situation was that I got mine with a rebuilt tranny with almost no mileage on it. So check out the tranny on yours as well to see what is going on, if it has ever been rebuilt/replaced, or if it is in ok condition.
P.S: After all of this work, the ony thing I have left to do mechanically is install a new TPS, and then it should be running smoothly (knock wood).
Old 01-31-2006, 11:28 AM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX
i'm also in college, and the SVX??? it's at home........

Given that the SVX requires premium fuel and parts are really expensive to replace, I think you would be much better off getting something not so expensive. The SVX is a great car when running, but one much better suited for someone out of college, b/c when something breaks - you're already broke so it is hard to fix. If you really love the car and have a job though, go for it.

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension
Old 01-31-2006, 06:15 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Quote:
im sure the svx would get the women, any input would be greatly appriciated.
if you have an svx, you wont have a girlfriend. Why? youll be under the car more than under the sheets. But hey, if you wanna buy one, go ahead..but look out, she is high matinence.

typical problems:
transmission explodes
brake rotors warp
rear wheel bearings decintegrate
Engine seals

Stuff to look for:
good transmission (shifts smoothly, clean fluid, ect)
-get a transmission cooler as soon as (if) you get the car
rear wheel bearings (loud noise behind you)
- theese are a pain in the hips, thighs,and buttoks to replace
Brakes
-new rotors? possibly upgraded pads / drilled and slotted rotors
Windshield
- if it has a chip or crack...dont bother, your insurance will probly total it
Oil all over
- Check under the valve covers, which, in this car, are on the sides of the engine.
-Also check for other seals such as the trany pan gasket, front seals, ect ect.

Anyhow..yeah. the svx is a nice car, but someone in your situation...unless you have very few classes in your college, should probly avoid this car like the plauge. Ooh, if you are really really desperate, and just like the car because it has cool windows, try to go for the Fwd L model. the transmissions dont explode as easy, so thats one less problem to look for
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Last edited by It's Just Eric; 01-31-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:28 PM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX
also, with 144,000 miles, you might have to start replacing suspension parts. I think I might go ahead and do that this summer berfore it wears out.

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension
Old 01-31-2006, 08:50 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
With that said and done there are some college SVXers that are making it by just fine

Although I do have a few sources of income and work very hard to balance work/school to maintain what I am quite fond of.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 01-31-2006, 10:04 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I am in my 3rd year of college as well. Paying bills comes first then the SVX. Although my obsession with the car has definately kept me going as well. Just make sure you can handle it

Tom
Old 01-31-2006, 10:17 PM
SVX Voyeur

I had a cheap little Honda CRX through school 200K + and then picked up the SVX when I was up and working. If you love the car you always make it work.
1981 FIAT Spider 120,000Miles

50% Boxer