How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

Im sure I can pick up just as many chicks in a beat up, mud covered Jeep as I can in a freshly polished ML63 AMG right?
Old 01-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer6SVX
Im sure I can pick up just as many chicks in a beat up, mud covered Jeep as I can in a freshly polished ML63 AMG right?
Naaaaaaaaaa

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Now I have never been one to compliment a Chrysler product, and i'm sure as hell not about to start. The 1993 model that was mentioned earlier was no doubt rock solid...that was an AMC Jeep, not a Chrysler "Jeep". They are not now what they used to be, that's for sure. However, in comparison to the MB, the Jeep is actually the quality leader. If I remember correctly, MB ranked 33rd out of 37 automakers in quality for 2004. Chrysler was 23rd. Niether are stellar finishes, but it does say alot in my mind.

Also, how much does the MB weigh? With that Jeep's 425hp, it manages 4.6 sec 0-60. I would expect better than 5 secs out of the MB. Hell the Trailblazer SS does 5.0-5.2 with it's 405hp. Something doesn't seem right.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow248
The 1993 model that was mentioned earlier was no doubt rock solid...that was an AMC Jeep, not a Chrysler "Jeep".
Mmm hmm.

I had no idea they were different. Good info.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 01-19-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:49 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Question

Quote:
Now I have never been one to compliment a Chrysler product, and i'm sure as hell not about to start. The 1993 model that was mentioned earlier was no doubt rock solid...that was an AMC Jeep, not a Chrysler "Jeep". They are not now what they used to be, that's for sure. However, in comparison to the MB, the Jeep is actually the quality leader. If I remember correctly, MB ranked 33rd out of 37 automakers in quality for 2004. Chrysler was 23rd. Niether are stellar finishes, but it does say alot in my mind.

Also, how much does the MB weigh? With that Jeep's 425hp, it manages 4.6 sec 0-60. I would expect better than 5 secs out of the MB. Hell the Trailblazer SS does 5.0-5.2 with it's 405hp. Something doesn't seem right.

YAY!!! Look Shark, our buddy is back!

Chrysler bought Jeep in 1987-1988, so buddy, you just complemented a Chrysler! Benz bought Chrysler in ~1998.

Buy American, still the best product in the world! Fit and finnish means nothing, if it ain't chevy it is...well, you know the drill
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.

Last edited by NapaBavarian; 01-20-2006 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:35 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Now I am confused again. Or is it for the first time.
See now I don't even know what I am...

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:54 AM
Good morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Now I am confused again. Or is it for the first time.
See now I don't even know what I am...

You are a fighter, and I'm gonna stay the phawck out of your way.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:52 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
I don't think the 93 GC is an AMC. My friend has one and it is all labeled Chrysler not AMC

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
YAY!!! Look Shark, our buddy is back!

Chrysler bought Jeep in 1987-1988, so buddy, you just complemented a Chrysler! Benz bought Chrysler in ~1998.

Buy American, still the best product in the world! Fit and finnish means nothing, if it ain't chevy it is...well, you know the drill
First, don't lump yourself in with Shark. His shenanigans are entertaining and harmless, your shenanigans are just annoying.

(hopefully someone will get that movie reference).

I have no idea when Chrysler bought AMC out. The point is that Jeeps didn't become "chrysler", meaning they were not built on chrysler platforms with chrysler motors, until 1993 when the Grand Cherokee was introduced. The plain jane cherokee didn't become Chryslerized until it's redesign in 1996. Chrysler used AMC's motors and platforms for several years until bringing it all under one roof and destroying the brand.

Quote:
Fit and finnish means nothing
Are we talking about America or Finland here?

If you don't want to look stupid, don't make stupid comments such as the post I am replying to.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Good morning!

Here we go again I'm anoying

For those more interested in facts than your opinion (I know someone here must be more interested in your opinion than facts) I could point out that the only '93 refered to in this thread was a GC and you just stated that that in '93 GCs were built on Chry platforms...

And, the GC came out in 1992, not 1993 as you stated. I realize that this is a trivial point in the big picture, but the point is simply that you keep geting your facts wrong and base your steadfast opinion on these facts.

I wait for your excuses
Old 01-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
If you don't want to look stupid, don't make stupid comments such as the post I am replying to.
You are really funny shadow, you think you are the BOSS who can call people names as he pleases? Pls if you wish to hang in here and be respected you must respect everybody or else don't log in. If you hate the SVX and subarus that much why you are bothering yourself coming to this forum?
Each member respects the other over here, if you want to stay, pls let us discuss issues in a civilized manner.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the GC designed around 87ish by AMC to replace the Cherokee? I thought they simply sold out to Crapler because they didn't have the funds to produce it and Crapler didn't have an SUV platform of its own to sell against the upcoming exploder (the raider didn't cut it) so in essence it techincally still would be an amc vechicle in the sense that it had amc parts in an amc engine with an amc transmission build in an amc plant by the same employees who were at the time working in the oldest automotive plant in the world.

As for picking up chicks with a Jeep, I've come to realize after seeing the type of "chick" who drives jeeps is that if you wanna call 'em chicks then maybe you should get an eye exam yesterday!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Good morning!

Hey benebob, I believe you are right about the time the GC was initially designed, however by the time it came out, lets assume that production started in january of '91 for the '92 model year (typically starts in July, but sometimes new models are different) and AMC was purchaced in dec of '88(most likley much before that, I have seen both 1987 and 1988, from what I have read they didn't buy it all at once), that still gave Chrysler 2 full years (more likley timetable would be 3 years) to put their design and building philosophy into the production model, so although AMC started it Chrysler is the one that had say over the finished product.

To the best of my knowledge AMC never had their own transmission, untill 1979 they used mainly the GM TH400, and from '80 up when they were still AMC they used mainly the Chrystler 727 torqueflite, then at some point they went to a 4 speed automatic. AMC did have their own engines, a V8, and an inline 6, the 4.0 in the GC is AMC product, the V8 in the 1st gen GC was a chry 318, and the rare 360 later on.

The baby Cherokee was possibly the best small american made SUV of the '80s and when the GCs came out I was quite excited, in the late 1998 I started looking at them (used) and test drove a couple, looking at a couple dozen, and ran as fast as I could, people were paying absurd ammounts of money for the Jeep name on vehicles that were literally falling appart, and even more on the *few* that had descent condition interriors, road maners were down right scarey. Several years ago my parents boughy my sister a 1998 with 65,000 miles, I was apauled at the problems it had as a 5-6 year old vehicle with well under 100,000 miles, electrical toys (like windows) were flakey requiring replacement of expensive components since this vehicle has electronics in the doors, not the old fassioned bundle of wires with controlls up front, it has computer driven hardware with a slave in the door, transmission went out under 70k, poor door seales let in severe wind noise, and I have heard of a good number of other problems as well. Keep in mind that it probably only got a few thousand miles a year, she mentioned she only added gas once a month or so.

When a quasi exotic car like the SVX has problems I blow it off, that is just part of owning a rare car, a car that is not ment for the mainstream, most people don't understand it nor have the patience to deal with it and that is fine, strangely they do have time to tell us about how bad it is having never owned it or accepted what it is wanting it to be super reliable, however a mainstream car that has all these problems is absurd, honda, toyota, subaru, ect. all build reliable mainstream cars that are well put together and the basic models are affordable.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Hey benebob, I believe you are right about the time the GC was initially designed, however by the time it came out, lets assume that production started in january of '91 for the '92 model year (typically starts in July, but sometimes new models are different) and AMC was purchaced in dec of '88(most likley much before that, I have seen both 1987 and 1988, from what I have read they didn't buy it all at once), that still gave Chrysler 2 full years (more likley timetable would be 3 years) to put their design and building philosophy into the production model, so although AMC started it Chrysler is the one that had say over the finished product.

To the best of my knowledge AMC never had their own transmission, untill 1979 they used mainly the GM TH400, and from '80 up when they were still AMC they used mainly the Chrystler 727 torqueflite, then at some point they went to a 4 speed automatic. AMC did have their own engines, a V8, and an inline 6, the 4.0 in the GC is AMC product, the V8 in the 1st gen GC was a chry 318, and the rare 360 later on.
Actually, Chrysler didn't do anything on the first Gen. (minus some tweaking and insertion of the airbag thingie. It was production ready from the buyout but delayed until Chrysler gave it the green light and most of the parts were AMC parts bin stuff through the 1st gen. Remember the 1st gen GC didn't get the 8 until something like the 3rd year of production. By tranny I meant the whole set up including difs etc. Remember, I'm a subie man so to me its all one thing.

You're definately right. The GC was a piece from the get go. My dad has driven Jeeps since his 88 Pioneer (which at the time there was a pic of the GC in the showroom that looked 99.9% as close to the production car. Has had amazing luck (after warranty) with 'em too but he has stuck with the Cherokee. Nothing like buying a 20 year old car new in 01. I think the rattles that start at about 500 miles would drive me crazy though!
Old 01-20-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
For those more interested in facts than your opinion (I know someone here must be more interested in your opinion than facts) I could point out that the only '93 refered to in this thread was a GC and you just stated that that in '93 GCs were built on Chry platforms...

And, the GC came out in 1992, not 1993 as you stated. I realize that this is a trivial point in the big picture, but the point is simply that you keep geting your facts wrong and base your steadfast opinion on these facts.
I thought it was a regular cherokee. That does change things, however the GC was introduced as a 1993 MODEL.

I'm using only facts since my opinion of the vehicles about which we are speaking matches yours.

You've really become a lame, annoying, Shark wannabe. Stop this. I'm losing any respect I had for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
You are really funny shadow, you think you are the BOSS who can call people names as he pleases? Pls if you wish to hang in here and be respected you must respect everybody or else don't log in. If you hate the SVX and subarus that much why you are bothering yourself coming to this forum?
Each member respects the other over here, if you want to stay, pls let us discuss issues in a civilized manner.
I can't believe you had the guts to say something like that.

Who are you to be talking to me like this? PLEASE. Stay out of arguments you know nothing about. The exchanges between Napa and I go back to well before you even joined this site, so just keep yourself out of it.

I would never step out of line without being provoked. I alway discuss or disagree with the utmost respect, that is until someone gives me a reason to not respect them. That has been my manner since i joined here and i take pride in it. Napa just makes it a hobby of his to try to see how angry he can make me. Or maybe he just wants to be like Landshark. I dunno, either way, it's quite a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the GC designed around 87ish by AMC to replace the Cherokee? I thought they simply sold out to Crapler because they didn't have the funds to produce it and Crapler didn't have an SUV platform of its own to sell against the upcoming exploder (the raider didn't cut it) so in essence it techincally still would be an amc vechicle in the sense that it had amc parts in an amc engine with an amc transmission build in an amc plant by the same employees who were at the time working in the oldest automotive plant in the world.
That is at least 95% correct, and thank you for solidifying my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
As for picking up chicks with a Jeep, I've come to realize after seeing the type of "chick" who drives jeeps is that if you wanna call 'em chicks then maybe you should get an eye exam yesterday!!!
Whoa, I have to disagree here. I've seen PLENTY of very very bang-able chicks driving jeeps. Between Jeeps and Jettas, there are plenty of NICE females. In fact, i can't remember the last time i saw a girl in a jeep that made me think "whoa, was that even a female?".
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: