How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-09-2004, 12:50 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by pavanbabut

yeah my problem is the same... but my problem is only with shiftin from 1st to 2nd... but for the remainin gears it is workin fine.... and also can u tell me how we can find in which gear it is engaged at a ny givne time. Since i am not sure in which gear it is engaged after 2nd...but it is running fine as before even above 100mph.

Thanks,
Pavan.
are your gears shifting at 2500 rpms under normal conds ??

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:03 AM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear

are your gears shifting at 2500 rpms under normal conds ??
yeah all my other gears are shifting normally not much difference from before... but only for 1st to 2nd it is going above 3500 before it shifts to 2nd..... i am noticing this only from recent days like from a week, as soon as there is snow fall on one day...

Pavan.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:20 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:

yeah all my other gears are shifting normally not much difference from before... but only for 1st to 2nd it is going above 3500 before it shifts to 2nd..... i am noticing this only from recent days like from a week, as soon as there is snow fall on one day...

Pavan.
your first 2 gears are starting to show some signs... I suggest you take the tranny out and see where the problem lies.

PS: if there is no caliber such as the one I described before on the SVX and you checked the tranny filter and nothing was wrong, then you should take the tranny out

does the problem persist when your car heats up real good after say 1 hour of driving ???

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:30 AM

Quote:

your first 2 gears are starting to show some signs... I suggest you take the tranny out and see where the problem lies.

PS: if there is no caliber such as the one I described before on the SVX and you checked the tranny filter and nothing was wrong, then you should take the tranny out

does the problem persist when your car heats up real good after say 1 hour of driving ???
actually.. till now (right from when i brought the car).. i never drove it for 1hr continuously... hardly i drove it for 15-20 min continuously.. thts it.... but when the engine heats up to normal after a couple of minutes of driving and after 5 to 10 min of such continuous driving it shifts at a little bit lower rpms (like around 2700-3000), but a little bit late, but not tht too late as it did at first couple of minutes...

I am really scared now.. on wht u r tellin...whether my tranny goes dead?!!! .. no no i cant imagine...

Pavan.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:40 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:

actually.. till now (right from when i brought the car).. i never drove it for 1hr continuously... hardly i drove it for 15-20 min continuously.. thts it.... but when the engine heats up to normal after a couple of minutes of driving and after 5 to 10 min of such continuous driving it shifts at a little bit lower rpms (like around 2700-3000), but a little bit late, but not tht too late as it did at first couple of minutes...

I am really scared now.. on wht u r tellin...whether my tranny goes dead?!!! .. no no i cant imagine...

Pavan.
come on man, don't freak out, look if there is no caliber, your filter is fine, the oil is fine, (by the way did you put an aftermarket radiator for the tranny?), your tranny is starting to show little signs, I prefer you fix it now better than later... better make a 5mt swap... look for a junked impreza, take the tranny and fit it to your car. In lebanon 5mt swap don't cost more than 500 $ including labor..
at first, change the tranny filter and put the best automatic oil available in the market along with an aftermarket radiator. see if the problem persists.

Old 12-09-2004, 01:45 AM

Quote:

come on man, don't freak out, look if there is no caliber, your filter is fine, the oil is fine, (by the way did you put an aftermarket radiator for the tranny?), your tranny is starting to show little signs, I prefer you fix it now better than later... better make a 5mt swap... look for a junked impreza, take the tranny and fit it to your car. In lebanon 5mt swap don't cost more than 500 $ including labor..
at first, change the tranny filter and put the best automatic oil available in the market along with an aftermarket radiator. see if the problem persists.
yeah i got all the stuff tht i have to fix (aftermarket cooler and filter)... i have to fix them this week. Yeah u r right, i am little bit bothered..since i have still more 3 years of my Ph.D, and i have to pay my school tution ($4,008 per quarter- 3 quarters a year) ... here the manual swap is costing around $2,000 to $3,000 as we can see from other guys on our network....

thanks for ur prompt replies... i will let u know whenever i finish installin them and cleanin all the filters...

Pavan.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:51 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
check your PM

Old 12-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Band adjustment needed.

Hi Pavan, the band is slipping as it tries to hold 2nd gear. I would get the dealer to adjust it before it slips too much, or it will wear it out from slipping, and the box will need replacing, if you don't.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:47 PM

Re: Band adjustment needed.

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au
Hi Pavan, the band is slipping as it tries to hold 2nd gear. I would get the dealer to adjust it before it slips too much, or it will wear it out from slipping, and the box will need replacing, if you don't.

Harvey.
thanks harvey, i will call to the dealer abt this.... but one thing is i am not feeelin any slipping like thing ( i mean not any jerks while it shifts from 1st to 2nd) just it takes high rpm to shift from 1st to 2nd.... and for sure i would have it check with the dealer. Do u have any idea how much they will charge for ir?

Pavan.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Re: Band adjustment needed.

Quote:

thanks harvey, i will call to the dealer abt this.... but one thing is i am not feeelin any slipping like thing ( i mean not any jerks while it shifts from 1st to 2nd) just it takes high rpm to shift from 1st to 2nd.... and for sure i would have it check with the dealer. Do u have any idea how much they will charge for ir?

Pavan.
I am just going off your description of the trouble. If it is not slipping, just winding out to the higher rpm before it does a normal shift into 2nd, the throttle sensor may be giving a faulty reading, that makes the box think you have the throttle opened wider than it is. Though it would do the same for the other shifts also.

Don't know about US charges, i'm in Aust. 1 hour should do it.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:08 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Local subaru dealer quoted my friend Omar for 150 dollars for the brake band adjustment on his FWD SVX. Should be the same for you pavan. If you havent fixed in that cooler...please do it...it will take a load off your mind.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-09-2004, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
Local subaru dealer quoted my friend Omar for 150 dollars for the brake band adjustment on his FWD SVX. Should be the same for you pavan. If you havent fixed in that cooler...please do it...it will take a load off your mind.
Yep!... i have to fix it.... i am screwed up with my Research Project work though it is winter break. Thts why i am not having time to do those things... anyway i will do them this weekend definitely and talk to dealer and finish off all the work by the next weekend.

BTW: Ur signature is interesting..

Pavan.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:27 PM

Dont worry about the cooler. Its so easy to install. It should only take an hour maximum. Make it a weekend project. Which reminds me i still have to buy my filter...i fixed in my cooler in august and never bought a filter.

Old 12-09-2004, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
Dont worry about the cooler. Its so easy to install. It should only take an hour maximum. Make it a weekend project. Which reminds me i still have to buy my filter...i fixed in my cooler in august and never bought a filter.
ok thts good... but here is my advice dont go for PermaCool 10678, if u plan to install temp guage even later. Since now they are not giving 3rd port hole for it.. i was screwed up with it recently and i reordered for PRM-10677 and i am supposed to get it tommorow. I am having a project meetin tommorow and after tht i will start it.

yeah i have to do it this weekend for sure...

Pavan.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:39 PM

Of course if you need help you know you can always post on the network!