Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-19-2004, 09:23 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
duty solenoid c replacement

Okay, so I didn't actually replace the solenoid. The same part in my wife's car is bad, so I've got it in FWD mode until I fix it. Since I had the SVX tranny laying around, I figured I'd open it up and see if I really wanted to attempt it on her car. I know that the solenoid is okay in my old tranny, so I also figured it'd be a match for the Legacy's. I learned a couple things, so I wanted to share them here. Forgive my lack of vocabulary words to correctly describe tranny internals. Once you have one apart, I think you'll know exactly what I mean.

1. There's a gasket in between the extension and gearbox cases which will undoubtably stick the cases together. Don't jam a screwdriver in there to pry them apart - you'll mess up the mating surfaces. I used a two-arm gear puller and fit the jaws to the top of the extension case, just forward of the prop shaft dust shield. I fit the bolt against the rear driveshaft (which conveniently has a hole in the middle of it. This actually worked really well because it separated the entire clutch assembly from the extension, and.

2. The transfer clutch is way more simple than you realize. I was considering paying somebody to replace this solenoid and clutch because I wasn't sure I wanted to tackle the clutch on my own. Having one apart changed my mind completely.

3. I see why the tech warned me about the solenoid wire and making sure to install it 'just right.' The two helical gears that drive the shaft to the front diff are exposed and right next to the solenoid. They could easily take the wire up and wreck the tranny's wiring harness.

4. I didn't assemble it the way the book says to. I found it difficult to align the clutch plates against...whatever the hell they have to be fit to...when it was installed in the extension case. So I separated the clutch assembly from the case, fit it into the tranny and then banged the case back on over the shaft with a 2x4 and hammer.

This will all be much more difficult on the Legacy, since the trany is actually in the car. But I'm glad I had this 'spare' tranny to try it on first. If anybody has to do a similar repair, I hope they find the above helpful. When I do the job on the Legacy, I'll take pictures.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Re: duty solenoid c replacement

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
So I separated the clutch assembly from the case, fit it into the tranny and then banged the case back on over the shaft with a 2x4 and hammer.
So you did take my advice and just forced it

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 01-19-2004, 04:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: duty solenoid c replacement

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

So you did take my advice and just forced it

Doug
Well, when I say 'bang,' I mean it in the most gentle way possible.

...in all connotations of the word...

I believe your advice for removing the extension was 'dropping it on its ass.' As you may notice, I gently pulled it off with a gear puller. So, no, I didn't take your advice and force it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE