Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-30-2003, 01:59 PM

crazy starter problem

My 92 5sp has some strange starter problem. It first occured last year when I put in a reman '97 outback starter. The starter worked fine for a week and then the key wouldn't start it anymore unless someone was tapping the starter at the same time. So I got another starter and the problem went away. But it recently started acting up again and I replaced the starter for the 3rd time only to find that starter has the same intermitent problem. The wire from the key is putting out 8.5v in the start position always but sometimes the starter doesn't respond at which point I have to get out and jumper a wire from the positive battery terminal to the ignition input on the starter, then the starter jumps to life. Does anyone have an idea as to what the problem may be?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-30-2003, 02:17 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Two possibilities come to mind:

The ignition switch on the SVX has a tendency to work its way loose. Removing the cowling on the column and make sure the security bolts are tight and not letting the switch come away from its "seat." If that's the problem, you'll either need to remove the original security bolts and replace them with standard, or, order some new knock-off bolts from subaruparts.com.

My intermittent problem was much simpler than I had ever anticipated. After fiddling with the starter, checking relays, checking ignition switch, replacing battery terminals . . . etc, I discovered the terminals weren't on tight enough. Though they "seemed" tight, they just didn't quite make the right connection. Seems silly, I know, but, I haven't had a bit of trouble since I pulled the terminals, cleaned the posts and terminals, tightened them sufficiently and spread the posts and terminals with a layer of petroleum jelly (to prevent corrosion).
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-30-2003, 08:34 PM
Superbeast

I am having the ( EXACT ) same problem as you Chris. Right after doing the swap, my starter started acting up. The really anoying thing is that you still have power at the starter wire and if you jump the starter terminals the motor will spin over, so you put the wire back on and try it again, nothing

I thought I had traced it down to the relay for the security system( it's a Boch relay mounted to the side of the steering colume). I measured the voltage at the wire whe nit wouldn't work and I had 9.00V, so I figured I had a voltage drop in the relay so I put a jumper wire across the two terminals and it worked fine. I later got the same relay from NAPA and reinstalled, everything worked fine for awile, and then it started acting up again. So I put my jumper back in and it work for a little wile longer but then it started acting up again.

Now it seems to never start when I first go out in the morning, and the really, really anoying part is that unless you have a long jumper wire, you need to have someone hold the key to the start position wile you jump the starter terminals under the hood.

So, no I haven't figured it out yet but my next move was to get another starter But just so you know your not alone.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 12-31-2003, 01:52 PM

If anyone is looking for the internals from a starter let me know. I had to replace mine as the core was cracked where the bolt hole is and it wasn't secured to the car. The starter is about 1 yr old.

Keith
Old 01-03-2004, 06:05 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
hehe, I'm still mid-conversion but my starter is having similar problems. It will click when I turn the key with the clutch down. I was only able to properly engage the starter twice. The starter needed a solenoid before it was installed but this problem is with the new solenoid.

Also the ignition is not giving me back my key (can't turn into lock position) now. I've already jumped the outside pins on the 4 pin connector by the shifter.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:18 PM

has anyone ever figured out the solution to this problem?
Old 02-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Yup!

I bypassed the security relay and used it at the starter in order to supply 12v from the battery when the switch is in the 'start' position. I don't know where the voltage drop is but it only took five minutes to wire the relay at the starter and now it's never a problem.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Superbeast

So Beav did you just run the Blue-white wire right to the starter along with the black-yellow wires? I plan on changing the wireing on mine when I redo the pedals so if you got the goods let me know. I don't know why or where the voltage drop is but it's really annoying.

Old 02-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Typical Bosch relay - (why can't I ever remember the term. numbers? Oh well, at least there's a diagram on the side of the relay.) Battery in, original solenoid trigger to relay trigger, battery out to solenoid, add a ground to chassis. Supplies battery voltage directly to solenoid - problem gone. Tuck relay above solenoid.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Superbeast

Had thought of that to but didn't want to have to worry about bad realys again. But if it works I'll get it hooked up.

Old 04-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Re: Yup!

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
I bypassed the security relay and used it at the starter in order to supply 12v from the battery when the switch is in the 'start' position. I don't know where the voltage drop is but it only took five minutes to wire the relay at the starter and now it's never a problem.
We just did this on my car and it's been starting like a champ now. I just used a relay left over from the aftermarket security system that was removed during the tranny swap.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Yup!

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
We just did this on my car and it's been starting like a champ now. I just used a relay left over from the aftermarket security system that was removed during the tranny swap.

Pics? How-to?
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-22-2004, 01:29 PM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
help!

I could use some pics or additional explanation as well. I just got my starter rebuilt and the same click, no start thing is still happening...

P.S. 200 posts! Eat my dust!

2000 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS, converted to singlespeed 36:15.

I like my cars with too many gears and my bikes with too few...
Old 04-22-2004, 01:51 PM

-Like this Beav ??

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***