How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2010, 02:24 PM

Top feed fuel rails

Ok, as some of you know, I made some top-feed fuel rails for my car. I modified my original set to remove the injector depth-stops (simply because it was easier) and have been blowing out O-rings, especially on #5 ever since. Point of this thread, is I'm going to be re-doing my fuel rails with the proper injector port drill (which is astronomically expensive) and I wanted to see if anyone wants me to make them a set while I'm at it. I'd love to recover some of the money I've invested in making these.

Pros: fairly simple to install, took me probably 2-3 hours including the wiring. Allows for super cheap injector upgrades...I got all 6 of my 460 injectors for about $150. Top-feed injectors are much more E85 friendly, abundant, come in just about any size you can imagine, and the top-feed rails allow for easy installation of an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator to give you more tuning flexibility. These are easily installed with just a couple feet of fuel line and some hose clamps.

Cons: Have to wire in new injector pigtails, clearance is very tight on the driver's side (a/c line).

Now the good stuff:

Old 12-08-2010, 02:31 PM

Re: Top feed fuel rails

Final installation pics to follow. I ended up going with different fittings for better fitment, etc. I would be willing to make sets, ready to go with the 5/16 barb fittings, all holes drilled precisely with the injector port tool, some fuel line, and clamps for $150 shipped for the pair.

All you would need is injectors, the injector pigtails (which are typically $2-8 each depending on exactly which style you want), and a fuel pressure regulator (got mine for like $30 on ebay).

For the record, this car is up and running on E85 and top-feed injectors. I has not been out on the road because I don't have exhaust on it, but I've done some pulls at the shop and it runs great, idles like a dream. Price will go down if there is a lot of interest...I could do more like $120 shipped if we get 5 people for example.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:19 PM

Added some more pictures to the photobucket album. Don't want to clutter the thread and add load times too much, so here's a link to the album. Lots of other unrelated pics in there, but some pics of the installed rails as well.

http://s425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/ZephTheChef/
Old 12-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

wow, awesome! I've been trying to get some rails CNCed. This is awesome what materials did you use to get these set up??? Very interested in your work shoot me a pm if you want and we can talk details.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:54 PM

Sure thing, you'll have a PM in a few minutes.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

I would be interested possibly
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-09-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
I would be interested possibly
Do you have any questions I can answer? These can be tapped for AN as well, but I didn't see the point (too expensive, a pain to work with, no real benefits in my opinion).
Old 12-14-2010, 05:57 PM

Got the new rail stock in today, headed out to drill some holes here in a bit. New pics tomorrow.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:18 PM

interested in a set but are you going to do any r&d on how to get them to hold down or am I always going to have to use clamps to hold the rail in place. No offense but that looks terrible for such a step forward for our cars.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:04 AM

Personally, I don't care what it looks like, I'm a function over form kind of guy. Hose clamps are fast, easy, cheap, and give a very even clamping force. It wouldn't be hard at all to have some aluminum tabs welded on directly over the stock bolt holes, and use spacers just like from the factory. However, I don't have an AC welder, so I can't weld aluminum, and I have no interest in doing this for my setup anyway.

In other words, you'd either have to figure it out on your own, or alternately...I've been in discussions with Johnybeas to sell him a batch of them to dress up as he sees fit and then resell. If I do this, I won't be selling them to the public in the future, only to him. Quite frankly, the rails probably don't absolutely need hold-down straps at all, as they fit onto the o-rings so well that they'll stay in place (tested to 100psi on my setup before I added clamps)...the clamps are more just extra peace of mind.

A more out-of sight attachment method would be to put braces on the lines. Attach the lines securely to the rails, then bolt the lines down so they don't have any play in them. I could potentially look into something like that, but for my purposes, I see no reason to use anything but the hose clamps. By far the simplest, quickest, cheapest solution, and in my opinion, more secure than offset bolts. My final install will likely be painted flat-black for stealth anyway, so why would I care?

I do completely see your point, most people prefer show over go...but that's not my style. These look GOOD polished, and could be secured a number of ways without physically covering that up or looking "ghetto"...but as I said, that's probably not something I'm willing to look into much...however, Johnybeas may well do that in the near future.

I got the ports drilled last night, hopefully I'll finish up the "final" set tonight so I can get some pics up.

Last edited by ZephTheChef; 12-15-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:44 PM

Pics are up of the new injector ports. I test-fitted some injectors and the o-rings slide in MUCH more smoothly and fit just as tightly. The stops are also much larger ID than the ones I had in there previously, so they shouldn't impede flow whatsoever. Note: these have not been de-burred yet, so if you see some junk still hanging on don't worry...they'll be getting cleaned up before they go on.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

they are looking good man! I'm stoked to get my hands on one and get the R&D for a full professional product done.

As ZephTheChef said I'm planning on working with him to make this a normal aftermarket option for the SVX. I'm just finishing up a few other projects that should net some income for us to hop on the fuel rails and make them production quality.

Once everything gets set up we'll be offering the rails with stainless steel braided lines and the option of an AEM fuel pressure regulator with the kit. Most likely I will have them painted or powder coated to help them stay in the best condition and look pleasing to the customer as well as be highly functional and a great mod to the SVX.

I wanna give props to Zeph for jumping on this, as it's been something that I've been wanting to do for a while and he beat me to it, and I'll be glad to work with him on it and produce and awesome product for you guys.

But like he said if you are fine just safety wiring or using hose clamps to secure them in he can get you a set before we start the production rails. Thanks again Zeph. I look forward to working with you.