How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-01-2010, 08:15 PM

Registered SVX
No rear wheel drive

Been driving on snow & ice and have noticed basically nothing coming from the RWD. Shifts are still good, no flaring, no problem with getting into any gear. I've got about 135,000 miles on this transmission which was replaced from the original at about 35,000 miles. I've got 170,000 on my 92 LS-L.

I'm wondering if maybe my "C" solenoid is bad, and if I'm likely to hurt anything driving it this way?

Also, would it make sense to troubleshoot the solenoid, or with the age/miles on the transmission, just go for a partial rebuild from ECUTune?
Old 02-02-2010, 07:00 AM

Re: No rear wheel drive

Are you getting a flashing power light on startup like 16 blinks? Is the fluid fairly clean and pink? Have you actually observed the front wheels spinning and the rears doing nothing?

If you are getting the blinking power light you have an issue and should check the codes. Otherwise, you could try and get the front end on a slippery surface or stuck and see if you can back out while someone watches the rear wheels. If they spin too then your awd is working. If the awd isn't working and you're not getting the blinking power light you could need a new clutch pack or your clutch drum is sheared. But there are other possibilities as well. You should probably do a search as there are numerous discussions on failing awd and solenoid C troubleshooting.

As far as getting a partial rebuild goes... replacing the solenoid C doesn't require removal of the entire transmission and isn't all that hard to do. Imo, a partial rebuild would be a waste of money especially if your transmission shifts fine.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:11 PM

Registered SVX
Re: No rear wheel drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxo View Post
Are you getting a flashing power light on startup like 16 blinks? Is the fluid fairly clean and pink? Have you actually observed the front wheels spinning and the rears doing nothing?

If you are getting the blinking power light you have an issue and should check the codes. Otherwise, you could try and get the front end on a slippery surface or stuck and see if you can back out while someone watches the rear wheels. If they spin too then your awd is working. If the awd isn't working and you're not getting the blinking power light you could need a new clutch pack or your clutch drum is sheared. But there are other possibilities as well. You should probably do a search as there are numerous discussions on failing awd and solenoid C troubleshooting.

As far as getting a partial rebuild goes... replacing the solenoid C doesn't require removal of the entire transmission and isn't all that hard to do. Imo, a partial rebuild would be a waste of money especially if your transmission shifts fine.
No flashing power light. After I back out of my driveway, I end up on an icy patch on a mild upgrade. The front wheels spin slowly on the snow/ice as I just barely move forward. RWD is doing nothing. My manual transmission Subaru Outback doesn't have any trouble at all with this slope.

I was thinking 135,000 miles is getting up there for a 4EAT, and maybe I should just swap it out? I mean, how many miles can we expect out of this transmission?