SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
12V access inside door

A technical question for you electrical gurus.

I presently am using my TomTom navigation system attached the the lower front side of the fixed driver's side glass, nestled between the glass and the instrument cluster.

It sits in the same line of sight as the outside rear mirror and is the perfect position. Does not obstruct the windshield or the rear mirror and is totally protected from glare and easy to access.

At present, the power cable goes across the top of the steering column and down to the cigarette lighter.

I want to permanently hard wire the unit into the electrical to eliminate the wire. Considering where the unit is mounted, this is what I would like to do:

Drill a hole into the front edge of the door panel where it would be invisible and run the NAV power wire into the door panel and attach it to a 12V power source and ground inside the door itself. I was thinking of splicing it into one of the power window wires. These wires would only have 12V when the ignition switch was in ACC/ON.

Does this seem feasible? Which wire would I use? The unit would still be protected by a fuse (in this case the P/W fuse instead of the lighter fuse) There is plenty of room inside the door to even install an aftermarket 12V socket and plug the unit in directly if needed. This way the unit/power connection is all on the door and not affected by opening and closing.

Any advice or comments are always welcomed.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 11-22-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:51 AM

Re: 12V access inside door

Wire in a 12v socket and plug the Nav power plug into it. It could be trouble if you just try to splice the Nav power wire right into another source because in the power plug of the Nav unit are the resistors, fuses, etc to regulate the power so it doesn't blow up your Nav unit. That's my belief but then again I'm not big on the "ways" of DC power. Are you sure your Nav is 12v and not a 5v or 9v? I remember I had a guy come in for a new 12v power supply for his radar dector. He did not bring in his old power supply and the voltage was not listed on his unit. He insisted that it was a 12v unit he needed. So I sold him one. 3 minutes later he was back with a fried unit, turned out he needed a 9v and it fried his unit with the 12v. He was not happy and neither was I. Check this thread
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51790

Last edited by y2daniel1981; 11-22-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Now down to only ONE!

Only a guess, but could it be that the fuse protecting the window is a much higher rating that the one protecting the Nav? Probably best to have it's own fuse even if you tap from the window.
96 SVX Lsi #821, Bordeaux Pearl, 4.44 98 Legacy Trans, Trans Resistor Mod, Dakota Digital Trans Temp Gauge on A-Pillar Pod (awesome), B&M Trans Cooler in Driver's Wheel Well, External Spin-on Trans Filter, Synthetic Fluids in Trans and Diffs, 17x7.5 Primax 695 Rims, Alcyone Rear Panel, Svxfiles' 5000 k HIDs, Clear Headlights, "BOXER6" License Plate, Hard Wired Radar Detector, 94 Power Up Window Switch, Motor Resealed, new Coil Packs, new NGK Iridium Plugs, PVC Valve, Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Gloss Black Calipers and Rotors, EBC Greenstuff Pads, SS Brake Lines, Superb TomsSVX Cat Back Exhaust... SS Resonator, Flowmaster 80 Muffler, Magnaflow Quad SS Tips, Poly Swaybar Bushings, Endlink Mod, Rear Subframe Bushing Mod. Feels great and sounds even better. Thanks to AWD, LLC.

2003 Outback llb H6 3.0 Titanium Pearl- "BOXERR" Mostly Stock

1995 Bmw 325i Conv. Calypso Red- "RBOXER" Modest Mods

2004 Sea Doo Sportster 4-tec 15' Jet Boat, 1494cc, 1454#, 155 HP= <10#/HP Stock
Old 11-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

The wiring diagram in the PDF manual indicates a black and yellow wire will be packing +12V from the power window relay to the switch, operating all of the windows. (As we know, your colors may vary. )

Money says that the socket adapter that came with the TomTom has a fuse built into it, so you'll want to match that for protection. The trick to that is finding a way to make the fuse accessible without being too conspicuous, all without making it difficult to remove the door card without feeling like you're playing Operation.

As always, vampire taps are nasty!

I'd say it shouldn't be too challenging.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

A lot more sophisticated internals than I thought. Uses a 2 A mini fuse and a nominal output voltage of 5.04V

The red wire is power. The black one is ground.

The third (white) wire is a so-called "sense" wire. The sense wire "tells" the cigarette lighter adapter that the voltage on the DC input
to the GPS is different from the nominal 5V.

The GPS has a internal Lithium Polymer battery, with a life of 3 hours. Maybe I'll forgo all the hassle and just use it cordlessly
and charge it at home as needed, or in the car when not in use.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 11-22-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post

A lot more sophisticated internals than I thought. Uses a 2 A mini fuse and a nominal output voltage of 5.04V

The third (white) wire is a so-called "sense" wire. The sense wire "tells" the cigarette lighter adapter that the voltage on the DC input

And that's why it could go boom
Old 11-22-2009, 06:52 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
The wiring diagram in the PDF manual indicates a black and yellow wire will be packing +12V from the power window relay to the switch, operating all of the windows. (As we know, your colors may vary. )

Money says that the socket adapter that came with the TomTom has a fuse built into it, so you'll want to match that for protection. The trick to that is finding a way to make the fuse accessible without being too conspicuous, all without making it difficult to remove the door card without feeling like you're playing Operation.

As always, vampire taps are nasty!

I'd say it shouldn't be too challenging.
This would appear to be the way to go, but supply via the relay will only be available when the ignition switch is in the on position. The door lock system is isolated via the timer unit and the mirror system via its control switch, which appears to rule these out.

However, wiring diagrams vary from model to model, and if supply only when the ignition is activated is a problem, a search for voltage with a trouble lamp could be worthwhile. (N.B. A sensitive voltmeter can register via an above ground connected load.)

When considering fuse protection, it must be appreciated that each fuse is designed to protect against fault current appearing in the down line circuit, fed by the fuse. In this instance the first fuse in the circuit involved, is a main distribution fuse on the main board rated at 30 amps. The power window sub circuit is subsequently protected by a circuit breaker rather than a fuse, so that adequate protection exists at points within the door.

Any fuse within the “Tom Tom”, is useful only as a means of protecting against fault current within that unit, or associated wiring if the fuse is located within a connecting plug. Therefore if this fuse were to open/blow, it would in any event be necessary to access the nav. unit and or wiring, so that making the fuse completely accessible is not important.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-22-2009, 07:34 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I'd hardwire this under the dash for easy access to the fuse and snake the wire up through the door to the gps.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Cigarette-.../dp/B001F4HFYO

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 11-22-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
I'd hardwire this under the dash for easy access to the fuse and snake the wire up through the door to the gps.

Also available at RadioShack!
Old 11-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post

I have to agree with Michael, John....... Find a hot lead under the dash and start fresh and have a dedicated curcuit. It's the cleanest and safest way to do it .....

BTW, I would also be concerned about leaving the "mobile" GPS in plain sight - someone is likly to break in and steal it!

Harry

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 11-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

I'll be honest; I've never used my GPS/Nav while staying perfectly still for three hours. I personally would have no qualms about finding power only when the key was in the ON position. In my case, two of the three circuits within the door would work fine, including one which is tied to the factory accessory jack already.

Wiring will vary, which is why I made reference to not only my findings having been from the rather famous PDF manual, but also to its historical inaccuracy for color matching. I wouldn't trust that book beyond that it fills drive space, but it's sure a great place to start when you don't have a guess otherwise.

Regarding fuses, all told, I'd rather have one that I could get to without having to remove much more than its respective cover. To each his own.

My mindset in the answer kept respect to our notorious King of Clean. John, I get the vibe that you'd rather not have that wire running from under the dash to your door. Crazy, yeh?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:42 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post

The red wire is power. The black one is ground.

The GPS has a internal Lithium Polymer battery, with a life of 3 hours. Maybe I'll forgo all the hassle and just use it cordlessly
and charge it at home as needed, or in the car when not in use.

The above post came up prior to my previous reply, which is now redundant.

The plug in effect comprises a rather sophisticated switched-mode type, regulated power supply, required in order to provide a reliable five volts.
It would be stupid to mess with it in any way and it will be best to connect it via an appropriate socket. Excellent protection facilities will be incorporated and an individual fuse is not required.

Yes, forgo any hassle on several counts. It will also be an advantage to “exercise” the internal battery.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!