How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-23-2009, 08:26 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Cam sprocket question

I started resealing my front end today, in an effort to fix the oil leak that has plagued this car since I got it in January. Before I started, I lined up the motor so that the arrows on the cam sprockets were both pointing straight up.

So, after much swearing and construction of a ghetto sprocket holder tool, I finally I got everything torn down, and the cam sprockets and cam caps off. I noticed that the notches on the driver's side cams were both pointed straight down. However, the notches on the passenger side cams didn't line up at all - they were at weird angles to each other. Is this normal? I know I didn't spin them at all when I was working, because when I reinstalled the timing belt, all of the marks I made before I removed it lined up perfectly.

This struck me as weird, so I took a pic if anyone wants to see. I want to get opinions - I need to make sure this is OK before I put everything back together.

Oh, and are the timing gaskets important? The gaskets on my left and right timing covers are both incomplete (missing sections) and the bottom center gasket absorbed so much oil from the leak that it swelled to the point of no longer fitting on the cover. It was scrunched up and half hanging inside the cover when I removed it because whoever was in there before me couldn't make it fit (but of course reused it anyway). Of course, I didn't have the foresight to get new timing cover gaskets.

Any help?

****EDIT: Pics up, post #4 below****

Last edited by Black88GTA; 05-23-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Cam sprocket question

I remember watching OT do my timing belt and when he got to the timing cover gasket he cut pieces out of the the swollen and stretched gasket to make it fit better. Once it sort of fit again he just carefully put it back into position with the splits and all. When I asked about it he said it is only there to cushion the vibration. Least that's what I remember. Sorry don't know about the other stuff.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 05-23-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
I remember watching OT do my timing belt and when he got to the timing cover gasket he cut pieces out of the the swollen and stretched gasket to make it fit better. Once it sort of fit again he just carefully put it back into position with the splits and all. When I asked about it he said it is only there to cushion the vibration. Least that's what I remember. Sorry don't know about the other stuff.
Hmm. That makes sense, since there isn't supposed to be any oil in there anyway. I didn't think about cutting sections out - I may end up doing that before I reinstall it. Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-23-2009, 10:00 PM

Pics added:

Driver side (both notches down)

Passenger side (notches in weird places)

Full front shot:
Old 05-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Put the cam sprockets back on and have th arrows on the sprocket point directly up. When that's done on the left sprocket arrow that goes up look around the edge of it on the left side to see an alignment mark. You will have to line it up with the mark on the timing cover shown 1/2in to the right of your thumb in pic #2. Just repeat for the other side, When mine didn't line up I just turned them by hand until they were on the marks. God I love non-interface motors. Also could you post some pics on how to remove and install the cam seals as I need to do mine soon?
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress

Last edited by redlightningsvx; 05-24-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
Put the cam sprockets back on and have th arrows on the sprocket piont directly up. When thats done on the left sprocket arrow that goes up look around the edge of it on the left side to see an alignment mark. You will have to line it up withthe mark on the timing cover shown 1/2in to the right of your thumb in pic #2. Just repeat for the other side, When mine didn't line up I just turned them by hand untill they were on the marks. God I love non-interface motors.
Well, that's the thing. When I put the sprockets back on (and when I took them off), the arrows were both pointing straight up, and the alignment marks were in line with the marks on the cover. After thinking about it, I guess this must be normal, because the sprocket only goes on one way - and this is the position the cams are in when the sprockets are lined up right. It just looks really wrong to me - i would think that both sides would match up.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:55 PM

yup, thats normal. theres tention from the valve spings on that side. put your cam pulleys back on that side and move one, you will see that the other will move in the opposite direction and they will both line up perfect. thats due to the gear driven intake camshafts that make this engine (subarus only DOHC engine thats not interference) "non-interference" in part.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxpert View Post
yup, thats normal. theres tention from the valve spings on that side. put your cam pulleys back on that side and move one, you will see that the other will move in the opposite direction and they will both line up perfect. thats due to the gear driven intake camshafts that make this engine (subarus only DOHC engine thats not interference) "non-interference" in part.
Thanks...yeah, I got it all put back together and it runs great, although I have a check engine light on constantly now So I have to figure that out. But, no leaks anywhere to be found! Casualties were minimal - I only broke 2 skid plate bolts and one radiator hose clamp. All I have left to do is drill out the broken bolts and reinstall the skid plate, and I'm done.

I did end up cutting bits out of the gasket to get it to fit on the cover so I could reinstall it. I had to take out almost 2 full inches of gasket. I couldn't believe how much it swelled up.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
Also could you post some pics on how to remove and install the cam seals as I need to do mine soon?
Sorry, I missed this part I unfortunately didn't take any pics of the installation / removal. I got the seals out by carefully drilling small holes in the flat area of the seal and then prying them out with a little flat blade screwdriver. I placed the screwdriver between the seal and the head, in the same location as the hole I drilled. They are much easier to get out with the hole drilled in them - the holes weaken the structure and makes it easier to bend / collapse the seal enough to easily pry it out. I tried using picks in the holes to pull them at first, but after breaking off a pick in there, I stopped that.

To get the new seals in, I used a very large axle nut socket and a rubber mallet. I placed the socket against the seal, and then tapped it in until it seated. I put a little grease around the inside of each seal and a light coat of oil on the outer surface before installing them.

The cam caps came out easily with just a vise grip. I tapped in the new ones with a rubber mallet.

This was my first time doing seals, and so far so good - nothing seems to be leaking Time will tell, I guess.