Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-16-2003, 09:09 AM
Loki

Angry My car stalled, now it wont even start.

I was driving up I-55 to St. Louis when my cruise acted like it cut out for a second, it kicked back after a second or two. Then like 2 minutes later, it cut out again, resumed, I thought I must of hit the brake or something when it just cut out and didnt resume, I realized that I lost any power that I had. I coasted to the side of the road. I sat for a minute and tried to start it again, but nothing. It acted like it caugut 3 or 4 times but quickly died again before coming to a idle. So I get out into the rain and a cold night, check all my fluids, they all seem ok, but I cant check my ATF (car wasnt running). I had it towed 80 miles to the Suby dealer in St. Louis. Wait till the next morning and it acts like there is NO gas, it just sits there cranking with no catch. I just filled it up w/93 earlier that night. I had a similar problem a while back (never stalled, but it was doing the same thing where it wouldn't start) and removing the aftermarket alarm fixed it. I dont know the history of my car, it could be a flood/salvage title but the title I recieved was normal, and the previous owner bought it from a dealer. I appreciate ANY help that all of you can give me as the dealer will call me tomorrow w/their "estimate". If any of you remember the last time I had this problem the dealer hooked it up to the scope and they said that like it gave out 10 codes from knock sensors to something else. A hour later they were sure that it wasnt the knock sensors, could it be my ECU? my fuel pump? or just some random electrical problem? I would like to know something by monday when they call, so ANY help that all of you can help me is GREATLY appreicated. If I cant afford this car I'm going to have to get a Focus or something and we all know that it would be a shame, so please help.

Thanks

Todd

Last edited by Loki; 11-16-2003 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:59 AM

Don't panic - intermittment problems usually easy to fix (most of the times inexpensively - at least you know for sure there is no major mechanical damage to engine/transmission). Finding
the problem is the challenging part.
The good news is the failure to start is much easier to find than an intermittment cut-out.

The ECU codes is the obvious first step in diagnosing.
Your dealer should be able to read "current" codes, not those stored in memory. A few seconds of cranking with ECU in "dealer-check" mode should throw a current code why ECU thinks engine does not start. Another way to do it is to clear ECU memory by disconnecting battery for 15 minutes and start cranking. When you first turn ignition to start position CE light goes out. If there is a problem, ECU will light the CE after a few second of cranking and write code into memory. You can read the memory after that.

No, knock sensors should not prevent engine from initial firing - and it should not take dealer an hour to find out, they should simply know that.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:23 PM
Loki

The dealer called...

Ok, so they say that they found burnt wiring around the fuel pump. They are running ressistance checks to determine if the pump went out (why would this cause the wires to do that?) or to see if theyre is wiring problems. I live 130miles from this dealer so there is no way for me to go in and check on it. What do you think I shoud say/ask when I talk to them. The manager of the service dept. thinks that a fuel pump could cost $700-800, do you think that is with or w/o labor? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Todd
Old 11-17-2003, 06:12 PM

Sounds like you should start looking for an honest and trustworthy mechanic. Subaruparts.com quotes $250 for a pump,
it is not terribly hard to replace a pump. I'd say I can do it in 2 hours - a pro should be able to do it in an hour.

Burnt wiring is always suspicious - it is all fused, I fuse should burn out first and protect the wires. Corrosion might be a contributor there, but in that case the pump is likely to be OK.

You can't reliably tell pump condition from resistance check alone.
Ask them to measure current consumption by the pump and compare it to the factory manual.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:38 AM
KUL RIDE

Re: The dealer called...

Quote:
Originally posted by Loki
Ok, so they say that they found burnt wiring around the fuel pump. They are running ressistance checks to determine if the pump went out (why would this cause the wires to do that?) or to see if theyre is wiring problems. I live 130miles from this dealer so there is no way for me to go in and check on it. What do you think I shoud say/ask when I talk to them. The manager of the service dept. thinks that a fuel pump could cost $700-800, do you think that is with or w/o labor? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Todd
Yeah, your dealer is full of bull. Anyway, did they check the timing belt? Mine didn't start a few days ago, and I thought it was the starter. Well, it turned out the timing belt broke, so mine is getting a new belt and a water pump.
Thank god for non-interference engine!!!
Old 11-18-2003, 10:52 AM
Loki

Ok, so they say that the fuel pump isnt fused... its on a relay, which doesnt turn off. They say that the wiring harness to the pump has melted due to high resistance levels. They still dont know if the fuel pump is bad or not.

Like I said, I cant really check on it but this all sounds really fishy. Im getting fed up but its the only suby dealer within like 100miles of St. Louis.

If you have any suggestions PLEASE help, I GREATLY appreicate those that have allready helped me and continue to urge you to help. Im not the smartest when it comes to all this, but 3-1/2hrs to find the "melted" harness is ridiclious, Ive had that seat out in 15min and it is directly under the seat. Please give me any technical **** that I can throw in their face.

Thanks

Todd

Last edited by Loki; 01-06-2004 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:53 PM
Loki

Ok, the dealer called again...

They got it running, a harness around fuel pump had melted, they replaced/repaired the harness and it started right up and it didnt stop running since. They didnt tell me how much (I didnt want to find out) but im guessing that they are going to try to ask for $300. That sounds like them. Anyway, a SVX might be up for sale soon if anyone is intrested, although since I list all the problems I have w/it here I doubt this is where I could get the most money. Thanks for all of your help, I really do appreciate it.

Thanks

Todd
Old 12-01-2003, 01:00 PM
Loki

Just finished talking to the dealer...

All in all they came up w/a diffrent story that CLEARLY isnt true, they said that there is an access panel to the pump under the trunk carpet, that "access" is under the back seat, they said that they refitted new wires into the bulk-connecter. All they did was use a butt-connector and crimp two wires together. He said that we could send in what we deemed worthy of the repairs. Since I never recieved an estimate, Ill send in the estimate fee which is $45. I cant believe they tried to screw me like that. The dealer owner was really rude to me this time too. Anyways AVOID!!! WEBSTER GROVES SUBARU IZUZU SUZUKI!!!!!
Old 12-01-2003, 01:03 PM
Loki

the letter i sent them (&my dad)

I personally don’t believe that you will have to fight anything. The owner of the dealer was very courteous and understanding. But here is a list of events as I can remember them. He said that he does not think that it is necessary to take notes on conversations because if we can’t trust the dealer, he would rather us bring it elsewhere. I told him at that point that right now, I have no faith in this dealer.

1. Car Stalled on I-55 on FRI
2. AAA Towed to Webster Groves Subaru Isuzu Suzuki
3. I went back to try to get running in the AM on SAT and tried the following
a. Checked Fuses
b. Couldn’t get off fuel lines but tried.
4. You went back to try to get it running in the PM on SUN and tried the following:
a. Checked all Fuses
b. Sprayed Ether in the Air box to see if there was spark.
c. Unhooked fuel-lines to check if there was pressure.
5. Here is a different list of things told between Mon and Tues:
a. Called, he said that they were checking the resistance along the wiring to the fuel pump: said it was very high and constantly changing.
b. I told him how I fixed the wiring under the seats for the corrosion problems and Neil said that he would have them look into it.
c. Called back and he said that they currently had the seats out and that they were testing the wiring.(Note: The wiring under the seats is also under the carpet which requires the removal of both seats, the center console and the door steps.)
d. I called and said asked if any further progress had been made since we had still not received an estimate. He said that they found a burned harness above the fuel pump and that they were in the process of repairing the wiring. He said that he would call me back that day by 4:00; I ended up calling them at about 4:45. He said that it was up and running but he wanted to run more tests the following day.
6. I went into the dealer, and picked up my car that following night and it drove fine.
7. Following morning I went in to settle up and here is a list of events:
a. Received my first ticket, was not clear of the work preformed for $300. I asked him what was done and how this added up to $300, he seemed shocked that I was disputing the ticket at all. He said,”Research has to be done to find the problem; you don’t think I have a Crystal Ball do you?” I said that I didn’t say that no research was done; I just asked to find out what happened in those 3hrs and what was done.
b. I asked for a more detailed ticket. He said that it might take him 15-20min and then proceeded to assist other customers before re-writing my ticket.
c. Received 2nd Ticket: It listed several things; I can’t remember all of them. The one that struck me the most was the seats. I asked him if he was sure that the seats were removed and he assured me that they were.
d. I asked Neil to look at them with me and show that he removed them. I showed him that crumbs, change and a pen were still wedged between the seats and the carpet, some even covering the bolts. He proceeded to tell me that when using air tools, they could have blown the crumbs there and that I brought my car there to be fixed, not cleaned. He told me that they put everything back as it was so not to disturb the customer’s belongings.
e. I asked to speak to the mechanic that worked on my car, Neil told me that he would go and get him. He came back and told me that the steering column had to be removed to get to the ECM. (Note: the ECM is in the driver’s foot well and the steering column need not be removed, if he wanted to remove the lower escaine panel for more room then it was held in by 3 Phillips screws) I asked for the mechanic and he said that he was busy with an engine repair.
f. I asked to see the connection that was made; he said that it would require time removing the seat again. I noticed that the seat wasn’t even latched into place and lifted up a side clearly displaying the wiring that had been done, 1 clipped wire and a butt-connecter crimped into position. Copper could still be seen on one side of the connector.
g. At this point I stated that the ticket clearly stated things that were not done and that I needed to keep it to prove that it ever existed. He would not let me have the ticket and that there was no dispute until I paid the $300, he was keeping my car. I said that I believed that he was taking advantage of the fact that my car was 130 miles from me and there was no way for me to check on it. He told me, “If I wanted to take advantage of you, I would have sold you a $1,000 fuel pump.”
h. I told him that I had my car towed 80 miles to this dealer because I though that they were a trustworthy and professional dealer. So far I had only received disrespect and lies from Neil. I mentioned things such as the “Crystal Ball” comment and the potato chips on seats that had never been removed. I asked for a telephone.
i. I called you from the showroom.
j. Talked to the owner and told him the above. He told me that he would call you and that I was free to take my car back. The dispute would be resolved later.

There are some things that I know I am forgetting. All in all I cannot express how Neil lied to me, disrespected me and in my opinion he took advantage of me.

Love you dad, hope this helps.

Todd
Old 07-02-2006, 11:26 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

doing a search for fuel pump relay I found this post
My car has been doing this off and on the last
few weeks. Drove for a bit, and turned off, then it
would restart and I babied it home with it shutting
off and back on for 3 miles.
When I got to my street I floored it to see what would
happen, and it would rev to like 4k and then die off
again. Next day, it ran fine.
But Im going to tear into a few key areas the next
two days.

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."