IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-06-2006, 08:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to ykobayashi
Registered SVX
Red face Oil Life - Synthetic

Hi,

Looking for some advice.

In the fall of 2004 before I put my baby away for the winter I changed her oil to 10-30 Quaker State Full Sythetic and a Bosch filter.

In the last year (2005) my SVX travelled a total of about 1000 miles (that is being generous, it was probably more like 500-700 miles)

In 2005 as the days got colder, I was lazy and I put my baby in storage without doing the normal oil change.

As Spring of 2006 arrived it was time to break my baby out of hibernation, I checked the dipstick and the oil is really, really clean. It still looks brand new.

So my question is, should I change it? Or should I just keep going until about 3000 miles then change the oil out? I know that with normal "dino juice" that oil breaks down over time but with synthetic, I would think that it would not be an issue? Any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Yoshi

[B]1995 SVX L AWD - Original Owner
65k - Brilliant Red
Mods: K&N Drop In Filter, Sony aftermarket CD/MP3 Stereo and Speakers, Sumitomo HTR+ Tires

2004 Mazda 6S 5-door - Steel Grey - 5 speed manual transmission - Daily Driver

2011 Mazda CX-9 - Wife's ride
Old 05-06-2006, 08:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
its fine run it
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-06-2006, 09:07 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan
its fine run it
Dead right. Would you be concerned if the oil had been untouched, on a shelf, in a container?

However as one very old, I would caution you about putting a car into storage for any lenghth of time. Things go "sour" when not exercised. Brakes, seals, surfaces normally lubricated, all dry out and deteriorate rapidly. I know from sad experience.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Locker Link Solution

I know mobile 1 says that their syn could be a lifetime lubricant if the oil didn't have to be drained after a certain amount of use (for cleaning reasons ofcourse), I wouldn't be worried about it.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 05-07-2006, 03:13 PM

synthetic oil

Should last for a couple more years, based upon your usage.

Just get it out and warmed up to full operating temp for a while once or twice before you put it away. Water/condensation will boil off and everything should be fine.

Cheers!
' 87 F250 @ 180K
' 93 ZX-11D @ 29K
' 93 SC400 @ 93K
2001 Valkyrie Interstate @ 6.6K (Brynhild)
Y2K NightHawk 250 @ 1,500 miles
' 88 420SEL II. @ 208K
'85 F150 @ 135K
Old 05-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

I still change mine annually as oil will attract water which in turn will break it down sitting (according to all the motorcycle crap that I've learned).They say to change it in the spring when you pull it out regardless of how many miles you drove it in the past year. To me $40 in oil is a whole lot cheaper than an engine. Not so sure about syth as I don't think anybody really has a clue but everybody has their opinions on the stuff. .