Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2004, 06:11 PM
2 times 4

Wink MAF fix that worked

After long times of trouble with my 94 SVX MAF I tried a test solution.
Finally realizing that my 94 Legacy wagon had the same configuation
I swapped them out to see if the problem would be fixed. I figured I had nothing to loose by this time and couldn't spare the cabbage for a new one.
Well I'll be ding danged if it didn't work just fine. Went right to the junk yard and got another for $40 and swapped back. We've been running great ever since.
It's possible that there is slightly less power but not that I see and I'm not out there racing anyhow. Ones for Legacys are everywhere and my mileage even stayed the same, around 25c.-28hw. Maybe this will help some who are tired of spending the big bucks. Thanks for the code help earlier.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:07 AM
overdalimit

What kind of problem did you have that prompted you to need a MAF sensor. The reason I ask is that I think that mine is bad. My car idles semi ok but sputters when you give it gas. What year Legacy did you get the Air Flow sensor off of?
Old 01-25-2004, 06:12 PM
2 times 4

MAF fix that worked

The problem before was intermittent flameouts or at least 90% power loss. I could keep it running if I lightly pumped the gas very fast but it would sometimes take up to 10 minutes of doing that before it'd clear and run like a top again until the next time. As time went by the amount of time between these episodes got shorter and shorter until I couldn't trust I'd get where I was going.
The last time I had similar but not the exact problem, the garage changed a coil and wire. That's the main reason I didn't want to commit to buying a high dollar MAF without being sure. The MAF was off the same year -94- Legacy, as the SVX.
The codes were giving me O2 sensors, MAF and another sensor that I don't recall but that was because the MAF was fouling them. They cleared when it ran better.
I can't tell you how frustrating this was to work through but then you probably know.