Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2003, 08:58 AM
JoesSVX

Engine fan ?

When I turn my key ON in the morning, before I start, I've noticed the right engine fan running, and it's 25 degrees out!
The way I read the manual, (Section 2-7, page 22) with the A/C off, no vehicle speed and water temp below192 degrees - the fans should both be off.
I'd like to hear from a couple of you whether you get fan operation just prior to cold start. I am suspecting a temperature sensor problem. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2003, 10:24 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

No. My fans are off when the engine is cold unless the climate control auto switch is on and it's hotter in the SVX than the temperature setting on the climate control.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:17 PM
A Little bit less Junior

fans running

I had fans running on hi pretty much all the time until water temp sensor was replaced, now they have several speed and are even off a lot!

Rob

Also in Family: '04 Nissan Murano, '98 Lex GS 400, '81 Accord, & '88 Civic w/ an Acura ZC engine.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:40 AM
JoesSVX

A third input before I accept this as Gospel and buy a temp sensor?
Old 12-05-2003, 04:16 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Does your check engine light ever come on? If so get the temp sensor. If not...get the temp sensor anyway...especially if it's never been changed yet.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:11 PM
JoesSVX

Yes, the check engine light comes on, but the only code is 33, for the Speed Sensor 2. (Replaced that $en$or, but the problem is internal. Not looking forward to pulling transmission to replace the drive unit.)
Temp sensor has never been replaced. I removed it and checked resistance against a new one at the dealer and it matched at room temperature. Must be intermittent. Oh well, at least that one's not so expen$ive.
Thanks!
Old 12-07-2003, 06:50 AM
Superbeast

Doesn't the cooling fan come on if the DEF is on? I don't drive my SVX in the snow so it's ussually never really cold and and I never have to have the DEF on when it is cold, but yesterday when I went out to clean the snow off the cars, I started the Legacy and put on the DEF and the fan was running. All this assuming you had your DEF on, it not then, Oh well.

BTW the Speed sensor 2 is the one right on the top side of the tranny (where the speedo cable would go if it was a Legacy Tranny) It is easy to change but probly not cheap. Unless the drive gears are stripped on the diff, if so then, Oh well.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 12-07-2003, 12:08 PM
JoesSVX

I replaced the sensor, and yes, it was not difficult. The problem is internal, apparently. I guess this is not an uncommon problem with these cars.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:10 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
Doesn't the cooling fan come on if the DEF is on?
I believe it does...something to do with the A/C.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:23 PM
njboys808

Exact same problem here

A few months my engine light lit up and my speedo stopped working. Soon after I noticed that my fan kicks in as soon as I turn the ignition on. Any ideas what these 2 have in common?
Old 12-22-2003, 11:44 PM
JoesSVX

Mine does the same thing, though not every time I turn the ignition on. I'm sure your CE light is for code 33: Vehicle Speed Sensor 2.
You may also get transmission code 33 as well.

I do know that the radiator fan control looks at vehicle speed, as well as water temperature and A/C when determining whether to power the fan(s), and at what speed. I can only assume the Engine Control Unit is in a default mode, though I don't know why it would default to the vehicle being at speed and the engine at temp when first turing on the ignition.