Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2003, 08:56 AM
Esteem

Fwd Fuse?

I recently purchased a 94 SVX L, and this weekend I got curious and started checking codes and things in the car. In the engine fuse box above the AC fuse the FWD fuse is missing! Is this normal/ok? Is there any reason this would be missing? The vin's on the car match up correctly to a L coupe. Should I place the spare fuse in the slot or does it make a difference? I havn't checked to see for a rear end on the car, at the time I didn't think it would be on there since I was certain it was FWD.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:08 AM

The FWD fuse isn't in there to begin with, say you had a flat tire or needed to go through a 2 wheel dyno, you just pop in the fuse, disengaging the rear wheels, if it is awd, and then they are disabled.

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 12-22-2003, 09:58 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Fwd Fuse?

Quote:
Originally posted by Esteem
I recently purchased a 94 SVX L, and this weekend I got curious and started checking codes and things in the car. In the engine fuse box above the AC fuse the FWD fuse is missing! Is this normal/ok? Is there any reason this would be missing? The vin's on the car match up correctly to a L coupe. Should I place the spare fuse in the slot or does it make a difference? I havn't checked to see for a rear end on the car, at the time I didn't think it would be on there since I was certain it was FWD.

94 L SVXes are FWD. You only get AWD L from 95 and up.

Also, you can look under the car to see if there is a rear diff at the back. It's like lifting up a skirt to check but that's the only and best way.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-22-2003, 10:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Fwd Fuse?

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

94 L SVXes are FWD. You only get AWD L from 95 and up.

Also, you can look under the car to see if there is a rear diff at the back. It's like lifting up a skirt to check but that's the only and best way.
I disagree. I think the best way to check is in the snow.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-22-2003, 11:32 AM
Esteem

thx for the info, wasn't aware that the fuse was supposed to be missing. Been noticing some weird things from my tranny and was wanting to make sure it wasn't related.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:07 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Re: Re: Fwd Fuse?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I disagree. I think the best way to check is in the snow.
I used to see if my rear wheels ar working by going into a parking lot with some sand on top.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-22-2003, 05:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rayford
On the topic of awd, a week or so ago we had a reasonable snow here in Missouri and my SVX has awd but I got stranded over night at the bottom of a hill where 4 wheel drive pickups and Suburbans were making it up the hill. I was rather unimpressed if that is the way awd cars do. My tires are probably 3/4 tread so I don't think lack of traction is the problem,I backed down the hill and put the fuse in, thinking maybe it would do better with just the front wheels pulling, well that was no different from before. The car just seemed to slide from side to side and wouldn't even attempt to go up that hill and really it wasn't that steep. There was a rear wheel car stuck in the ditch where she slid off the road completely. Finely after someone pawed his way up the hill and cut down to some dirt/gravel, I was able to get up the hill. I guess what I am wondering is, Is that all the better awd cars do or is it likely that my car has something wrong, I have never actually raised the car up on a lift to see if the rear wheels do pull, but that might not even be a good test since there would be no drag on the rear wheels, it might turn them with no load but not under a load..
And really it seems to spin very easily even at taking off from a stop sign in snowey or slick weather.
Has anyone else had this kind of experience with their awd SVX?
Thanks. Vernon
Old 12-22-2003, 08:26 PM
Shot king

I tested mine in the first snow around here. I did'nt shovel it out from behind. I just put it into reverse and let it idle into the pile of snow the plow left behind me feathered the gas enough to make
the wheels spin opened the door and watched my rear wheels. Not exactly the most scientific test but it satisfied me.