IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2015, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
ATF Pan leaks, 96-97 cars

Has anyone here used an earlier-design transmission pan gasket in a transmission pan designed for Fujibond? Have you experienced a leak?

One of our members here with a 1997 started to have an oil leak possibly because he had a dent in the pan. Replaced it with a new one.

He tried using the gray "Fujibond-type" (not OEM) sealant and it did not seal the leak and seemed like it never cured. He removed the pan again and removed the sealant completely (it just wiped off) and used the transmission pan gasket (from an aftermarket SVX ATF filter kit). Still has the leak in the same spot.

Here is what I found out from Subaru Techline Technical Analysis and Performance today.

The redesigned 1997 SVX Transmission Pan, part number is 31390A060 and is designed to be used with Fujibond

The original 1992-1994 SVX Transmission Pan number is 31390AA039 and designed to be used with a pan gasket. The gasket number is 31397AA041

Midway through the 1995 model run, Subaru changed from the old pan/ gasket to new pan/ Fujibond.

The change was not determined by VIN or production date, but by transmission #.
92072 and later transmissions used Fujibond
92071 and earlier transmissionsused the gaskets
All 96 and 97 cars were Fujibond

Subaru also confirmed there are only 2 types of Fujibond in use.

GRAY:
used in engine assembly only. Designed for precision-mating surfaces and high torque fasteners

RED used in transmission pans and oil pans.

The red Fujibond will stay relatively soft and shiny after curing. Do not substitute the gray for the red to prevent leaks.

RED Fujibond K0877YA020 (Also called Subaru Three Bond Sealant)

What has been your experiences? Keep the new pan and use Fujibond or go back to the original pan and use a gasket?

Have any members who have the later Fujibond had leak problems, such as after replacing the ATF screen filter?

Can anyone confirm what the actual pan differences are (profile, cross section..? I believe the later one has a small raised lip around the perimeter to contain the Fujibond, but not sure.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fujibond.jpg (30.5 KB, 834 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 05-26-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:14 PM

Registered SVX
Re: ATF Pan leaks, 96-97 cars

interesting.
not many of us have 97's

If I ever have to mess with mine, which i assume is still the original factory trans just about to drive to the 70k mark, if i ever have to touch mine it will either to be rebuild it (my dad will do that) or I will put in one from a Forester.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 05-26-2015, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I was wondering about those with transmission pans with Fujibond. Mid-1995, 1996, 1997.

Many regularly drain and refill ATF every 30K. Some drop the pan and replace the screen filter as well. Wondering if those who have done that ever had problems with leaks after changing that filter and using Fujibond to reseal.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 05-26-2015, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I was wondering about those with transmission pans with Fujibond

Many regularly drain and refill ATF every 30K. Some drop the pan and replace the screen filter and clean the magnet, as well. Wondering if those who have done that ever had problems with leaks after changing that filter and using Fujibond to reseal.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:35 PM

Registered SVX

well, if these are ANY WAY at all like the 92-94 Turbo Legacy autos, which i am about 100% sure they will be, they ALL will leak at the ATF dipstick tube where it attaches to the trans, the O-ring down there gets brittle and leaks. A leak there, will make one think the pan is leaking, when in fact it is the tube, up front leaking, then dripping/blowing to the back and there is the leak. Every one of my Legacy leaked at that 39 cent generic o-ring. Easy cheap fix too.

- i will probably do the drain and fill in mine sometime in the summer/fall since I have zero records
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 05-26-2015, 06:36 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

I changed the fluid and filter on my '97 and used the gasket which came with the aftermarket filter. Over the winter all the fluid leaked out because I had not tightened the bolts enough. Better than over tightening though.
No leaks since then in 12 plus months.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
I changed the fluid and filter on my '97 and used the gasket which came with the aftermarket filter. Over the winter all the fluid leaked out because I had not tightened the bolts enough. Better than over tightening though.
No leaks since then in 12 plus months.
Did you remove the Fujibond from the pan and/or the transmission case before using the gasket?

Old 05-26-2015, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Does anyone have photos or a writeup on the transmission dipstick tube o-ring replacement?

Is it the transmission dipstick tube on the left side of the engine? h ow about the front diff tube?

Old 05-27-2015, 02:14 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

The transmission dipstick tube is on the left/drivers side of the transmission.
It is held into place with teo bolts.
There is a 10mm headed bolt just to the rear of the actual tube,
(vertically installed)
and a 14mm headed bolt supporting the tube (horizontally installed) about half way up the dipstick tube, with the bolt going through the tube support tab, into the transmission, where the bell housing meets the main part of the tranny.
If I were replacing that O-Ring, (SUBARU PART ONLY!!!, like $3.00)
I would disconnect the battery first becaust the tube is so close to the starter.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-27-2015, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

The transmission dipstick tube is on the left/drivers side of the transmission.
It is held into place with two bolts.
There is a 10mm headed bolt just to the rear of the actual tube, (vertically installed) and a 14mm headed bolt supporting the tube (horizontally installed) about half way up the dipstick tube, with the bolt going through the tube support tab, into the transmission, where the bell housing meets the main part of the tranny.

If I were replacing that O-Ring, PN 806916010 (SUBARU PART ONLY!!!, like $3.00), I would disconnect the battery first because the tube is so close to the starter.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/svx/u...llustration_1/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transmission dipstick o-ring.jpg (27.7 KB, 649 views)

Last edited by svxcess; 05-27-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:27 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

[QUOTE=svxcess;740449]Did you remove the Fujibond from the pan and/or the transmission case before using the gasket?
.[/QUOTE

Yes I did.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:00 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I always use a gasket. If the pan seems like it may not seal the greatest, I use a thin layer of RTV between the gasket and pan only. Never have them leak.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:39 AM

Registered SVX

Its the dipstick tube O-ring thats leaking
Old 06-09-2015, 02:23 PM

I've got a 96LSi that got a '98 Forester tranny swap. During the tightening of the pan bolts my nephew used a damned impact gun and overtightened a bolt or two (or twelve) and apparently bent the pan somewhere. Due to other factors I didn't drive the car after the initial test drive, and it has sat idle for a long time and all the ATF has leaked out.

I'm about to get it running again and I'm looking for a pan but can't find one. Can pan lips get straightened out? I've always heard it's hit or miss, but does anyone have any advice?

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)
Old 06-09-2015, 02:45 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I've got a 96LSi that got a '98 Forester tranny swap. During the tightening of the pan bolts my nephew used a damned impact gun and overtightened a bolt or two (or twelve) and apparently bent the pan somewhere. Due to other factors I didn't drive the car after the initial test drive, and it has sat idle for a long time and all the ATF has leaked out.

I'm about to get it running again and I'm looking for a pan but can't find one. Can pan lips get straightened out? I've always heard it's hit or miss, but does anyone have any advice?
Yes the pan can be straightened.
I clamp a 1/2" thick aluminum block in my "work bench" vice,
the aluminum block is about 6" long,
the block is used as an anvil,
hold the pan on top of the anvil,
then use a small hammer to flaten out the dented places.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link