Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 11:44 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Getting the arms off the rear hub.

I need to replace the rear bearing. Got everything off the p.side but can't get the bolt of the trailing arm and can't get the huge bolt out of the two lateral? arms. Need to get it up and running tomorrow as the 6 took a crap on the highway tonight while taking the kid for a late night sleepy time ride. I think one of the t-belts took life off at all of 45k
Old 07-05-2005, 12:22 AM
Green1995SVX

Hey Ben-

I've always just soaked everything well with PB Blaster and then used a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a long pipe on the end. Works every time for me.

Mike
Old 07-05-2005, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX
Hey Ben-

I've always just soaked everything well with PB Blaster and then used a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a long pipe on the end. Works every time for me.

Mike

Glad to see someone else is awake. I need much more than this. The hub side the only thing I can get on it is a open ended wrench. The other side won't move (or just moves the rubber bushing enough that it won't get enough tension. The nut is off the laterals but I cant get the stinking 12 inch bolt to move. Soaked everything in PB for a week or so now.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:53 AM

So nobody has a clue how to get the trailing link bolt and nut loose and out or the bolt for the lateral arms out? I need to know today as the 6 will not be running anytime soon so I need a baby transport. The whole breaker bar thing just won't work with the lateral arm bolt. It isn't like this car has ever been apart back there so it wasn't reinstalled loosely by a ignorant mechanic. The bolt and nut on the lateral arm is actually starting to deshape from the pressure I'm putting on 'em.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:16 AM

I had to saw it off!!!

I had to saw the long bolt off it was so corroded. It just started turning the rubber bushing and would not break loose no matter how long the breaker bar. You should be able to put a closed ended wrench on the short trailing arm bolt and a socket with breaker bar on the other side.
Be sure to disconnect the abs sensor from under the rear seat instead of trying to remove it while hub is still on the car. It will be much easier and cheaper (easy to damage) to do with the hub off. Use a chisel under the sides of it. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxstarship
I had to saw the long bolt off it was so corroded. It just started turning the rubber bushing and would not break loose no matter how long the breaker bar. You should be able to put a closed ended wrench on the short trailing arm bolt and a socket with breaker bar on the other side.
Be sure to disconnect the abs sensor from under the rear seat instead of trying to remove it while hub is still on the car. It will be much easier and cheaper (easy to damage) to do with the hub off. Use a chisel under the sides of it. Good luck.
Already said the closed end wrench won't work. Even with a 3 foot pipe on the end of it. The bolt is actually giving rather than braeaking. ABS sensor wasn't a huge deal came fairly easily after turning it with the back. It literly is 2 bolts. 1st person to come get it out and replace the bearing gets $200!