Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 02-03-2011, 02:12 PM

Registered SVX
Lambo door kits?

Does anyone have a vertical door kit on there SVX? My door hinges are acting up and I've been considering replacing them. I was wondering if anyone had done this successfully? I think it would look really good. Lemme know, Thanks!
Old 02-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Re: Lambo door kits?

a few older members that are no longer on the forums have done them, if you look in the old lockers under Mr. Pwrlite he had them done and if you search the forums you will find more pictures from a few other members who had done them. I plan to do it in the future to my SVX but it's kind of at the bottom of my list of priorities after all my performance mods(engine build, turbo, tranny build, suspension upgrades)

If you're interested in a kit they are typically going to be weld on only kits with some fab involved to make them fit right. If you find a bolt on kit for the SVX chances are it's really not that great of a kit. If you're going to do it, I'd recommend going with a quality product i.e. GT Factory or Vertical Doors inc.

I am getting accounts set up with them as we speak so if you're interested shoot me a pm. Right now isn't the best time to buy however they are at full price they usually go on special during the holidays for 50% off.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

njboys808 had them on his 92. he is no longer around

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 02-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post

[/CENTER]
how did I know this was gonna come up... call it a rice mod call it outplayed, but honestly just because someone does it wrong or on a car it doesn't fit on doesn't mean it's a dumb mod. It's personal preference, honestly though if you look at the design of the car it fits the SVX well, where as a short stubby doored Civic it looks ridiculous. the mclaren f1 has the split windows like the SVX as well as vertical doors and looks awesome

granted they did more of a gull style door I personally think the SVX looks good with the vertical style
Old 02-03-2011, 09:06 PM

Those doors look really good on a Svx. Should of been put on them.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:41 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by httrdd View Post
Those doors look really good on a Svx. Should of been put on them.
They don't... really.

The problem, if you can call it a problem, is that the SVX is NOT like these other vehicles driven by gold chain wearing cocaine dealers. (I.E. Lamborghini). It's not a low slung, mid engined sports car. It is a front engined GT car like a Lexus coupe, BMW 6 series, etc. It just does not have the stance to pull it off. Mid engine supercars designed by Bertone are only allowed to do this.

it sort of like Audrey Hepburn wearing Cher's tacky gown from the 1987 Oscars.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:18 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
They don't... really.

The problem, if you can call it a problem, is that the SVX is NOT like these other vehicles driven by gold chain wearing cocaine dealers. (I.E. Lamborghini). It's not a low slung, mid engined sports car. It is a front engined GT car like a Lexus coupe, BMW 6 series, etc. It just does not have the stance to pull it off. Mid engine supercars designed by Bertone are only allowed to do this.

it sort of like Audrey Hepburn wearing Cher's tacky gown from the 1987 Oscars.
-1000000000 disagree! The SVX was designed by giugiaro not some chump
Old 02-04-2011, 05:10 AM

Registered SVX

I had these pics of an svx with lambo doors in my svx pic folder.
Probably from here somewhere.

I think that silver, with the lambo doors, is HOT.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:32 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
-1000000000 disagree! The SVX was designed by giugiaro not some chump
True, but he also designed the VW Golf (which is one of my favorite cars, BTW)

So just because he designed it does not mean that it will work with these door deals. In fact I'm not aware of any production car that Guigiaro designed with funky doors short of the DeLorean. I'm just saying that these Lambo things really don't work. The split windows on our cars for some project it to be something else... but looking at the stance of the overall car, it is far from the uber low slung exotic lamborghini. It's low, and sleek, but BMW 6/8 series GT car low and sleek. Just my opinion I guess.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:

So just because he designed it does not mean that it will work with these door deals. In fact I'm not aware of any production car that Guigiaro designed with funky doors short of the DeLorean. I'm just saying that these Lambo things really don't work. The split windows on our cars for some project it to be something else... but looking at the stance of the overall car, it is far from the uber low slung exotic lamborghini. It's low, and sleek, but BMW 6/8 series GT car low and sleek. Just my opinion I guess.
I don't particularly feel a huge need to go to the work for these sorts of doors on an SVX, but I do like alternative door openings.

If any affordable car is unique enough to pull of unique door openings, it would be the SVX... It is unique looking as it is, and quite modern. Alternative things like jack-knife doors don't look too out-of-place.

It has flush-fit window frames on the side of the roof structure, not under the roof structure, and a nice shape, that might make it work pretty well. The SVX door shape might actually even work if the door latches were converted to face downward, rather than inward. (aftermarket jack-knife doors still have to swing laterally to open and close, because the latches still operate from the side.

I do prefer the butterfly doors like the McLaren F1, SLR, MP4-12C, but those would be harder to aftermarket retrofit, as they cut into the roof, at least in the F1's case. The SLR and 12C don't cut into the roof, but I imagine that the hinges are quite specific, and very robust to hold that weight.

The down-side is that you always must have overhead clearance, and a good long reach... or a very strong linear actuator to raise and lower the door. But overhead space might be easier to come by than lateral space in a parking lot... I have had to squeeze pretty tight through the SVX's door opening before, which is an occaisional issue with long doors.

The SVX looks good lowered. Even better slightly lowered with the cloud-replica side skirts and front air dam extensions, and a well chosen set of 17 or 18" wheels. Might as well really tastefully mod the appearance, if the doors are going to open differently.

but I would agree with johnnybeas, that is way down the list of mods after upgrading the drivetrain and other, possibly easier stuff.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

Quote:

I'd be very disappointed if all of giugiaro's designs looked exactly the same but you can pick up hints that he designed that GTI based off the simple and functional body lines well executed fender flairs etc. The point I was trying to make is that IMHO the SVX has the body lines and is low and widebody enough to pull off the doors, even more so if some of the features were accentuated with a custom widebody kit and some coilovers as I plan to do on my SVX.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:40 AM

Registered SVX

+1 on getting a qulitly door hinge kit.
I had a mate that brought a kit for her honda civic. It only lasted a few weeks.
The door vibated like hell any speed over 65-70kmph.
Door would not seal and you had air flow thru.
Door would not shut properly.
What ended it was that the gas strut broke.
Kitt was very heavy duty. I was suprised how thick the plate was.

Also remember the SVX door is heavy. So you do want a good one
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 02-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

The thing I've always had against the vertical/scissor door kits is that unlike a true Lamborghini you have to open the door outward several inches before swinging it up. Looks silly. My favourite style has always been the "butterfly" doors, which open up and rotate. The McLaren F1, Enzo Ferrari, Saleen S7, Mercedes McLaren....

And the (I think) absolutely stunning Ford Iosis Concept from a few years back.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 02-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

I can get butterfly(gullwing) door kits as well, I personally prefer the vertical style but it wouldn't look bad on the SVX with butterfly doors. As far as the swing out and up I have a friend who has the gt factory kit and it only has to be opened a max of maybe two inches before going vertical but it can open a decent amount vertically which makes it nice if you don't want to open them vertically all the time, it gives you the option.

Also the GT Factory kits are adjustable they have 5 different adjustments so that you can fine tune the door to work just how you'd like it to on your application.

The GT Factory and VDI kits both come with very strong shocks that will handle more than the weight of the SVX doors. Also they have new Dual Adjustable Arch Plate which makes them even easier to control and adjust your doors for perfect opening and closing every time.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

for those who don't wanna dig through the lockers here are MRPwrlite's pictures