Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-06-2005, 08:36 AM

I Need A Second Svx

I want to buy a second SVX Really bad ( gotta keep up with the EARL'S) , but my wife is just killing the deal on this one . What should I do ,Just buy one and really piss her off or what ? Help (EARL THE ROSES DID'NT HELP)you know what I mean
Old 08-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Bipa

Geez... sounds like I wouldn't mind switching husbands with her

Has she spent any extended time driving alone in the SVX? That's what got me hooked. (Well, and perhaps a few wolf whistles that nicely boosted the ego - evil grin)
Old 08-06-2005, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa
Geez... sounds like I wouldn't mind switching husbands with her

Has she spent any extended time driving alone in the SVX? That's what got me hooked. (Well, and perhaps a few wolf whistles that nicely boosted the ego - evil grin)
NO ! Thats the biggest problem ! she hates the car!! If she had her way we would be owning a new S55 AMG , but I can't pull the trigger on that payment She thinks it just takes up space !
Old 08-06-2005, 10:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tony117s Send a message via MSN to Tony117s
so she doesn't like it cause its a subaru right?
'00 Green Forester S 78k
Old 08-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Sounds like Bipa may have the right idea! But I doubt your wife would be happy with a Corolla wagon either.

Seriously though, after 34 years of marriage, I'd advise you to hang onto the one you've got. The SVX that is. Taking up space in the garage indeed! Trade her in on a smarter model.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 08-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Tofu

Easier to beg for forgiveness then beg for permission!
Old 08-06-2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony117s
so she doesn't like it cause its a subaru right?
No the Subaru part is not the issue . It's just a small car and putting 2 kids in car seats in the back is a bit of a pain ,Iwill agree with that and I have a subwoofer and a car cover in the trunk so shopping storage is also at a minimum!! I'll never let this one go , but I really want a second one badly w/ AWD and a sunroof !
Old 08-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94svxred
No the Subaru part is not the issue . It's just a small car and putting 2 kids in car seats in the back is a bit of a pain ,Iwill agree with that and I have a subwoofer and a car cover in the trunk so shopping storage is also at a minimum!! I'll never let this one go , but I really want a second one badly w/ AWD and a sunroof !
My wife is not a big fan of my Z for the same reason.

But She has her own car (MiniVan) for her DD so I get to have what I want for mine. When I get my 2nd car (Hopefully an SVX) it will be for winter driving (my Z is the pits in the snow) and since I'm the primary bread winner, and it wont break the bank. Heck, its not like I'm looking at getting a Porsche C4 as a second car, she is not resisting too hard

Last edited by Barry'Z (NJ); 08-06-2005 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
I always find it amusing when half of a marrige thinks a family needs 2 large cars, I grew up with my mom driving a family car and my dad driving a little car, my mom still drives a family car- a brand new legacy wagon, and my dad is back to looking for a little car again, wraped the other one arround a suburban so why cant she drive the MBZ? Is the second SVX for her DD or for your second car?
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Bipa

Ahhh.... shopping and storage problems! NOW I understand!

I agree that having two kids in car seats would make me dislike taking the SVX when the children were along. We don't have any kids, but our second car is a 4-door hatchback. And as the kids get older, they'll need more space than the back seat of the SVX offers. I certainly don't find the back comfortable, the few times that I've sat there for short trips.

Our compact little Justy can actually fit in larger items than the SVX. It also provides more leg room in the back. When going to IKEA, we always take the Justy! And I have gotten irritated at times with the stupid bump in the trunk that makes it impossible to put taller stuff like big cases of Coke there. I end up flipping down the back seat, which she can't do with two kids. And does that car cover absolutely have to be in the trunk at all times? Take it out.

Seriously, I'd consider putting the second SVX on hold, and concentrate on getting her something else that is within your budget, and that will make her as happy as possible. That would hopefully end the complaints about the first SVX, and perhaps later make her more amenable to the idea of a second SVX (as a third car).

Would she be happy with an Outback? I was certainly impressed by it. Not quite the same as an SVX, I agree, but definitely a roomy enough car for a family, and very decent handling. Also a bit easier on the pocketbook than a Mercedes S55 AMG. That car is expensive even here, where it's a domestic model! Probably because of the hand-built engine. Can't get a decent used one for under 41,500 euro. (over $51,000 USD) And that's for a 2001 with 54,000 km. Out of my budget, too

link to the above mentioned S55 AMG currently for sale:
http://www.mobile.de/SIDAguGUOR.yBAX...1111175719355&

Other option: from now on you always drive the kids around and let her enjoy the SVX in solitude
Old 08-07-2005, 04:43 AM

Biba First off let me say good evening . but you miss understood me in my earlier post. We have 3 cars , an Escalade (which is the kid and shopping hauler) .So instead of biting off tha MASSIVE payment on the S55 we bought an 05 V8 Cadillac STS(this is mommy's car for work). The SVX is our third car (MY BABY ) but putting the kids in and getting shopping done would be very hard. Therfore the only time I can drive the SVX is when I by myself (IE: reson for low miles 49k ). So now can you see my problem . I would love to take the Subie out more but with the Escalade as the primary shopper and kid mover my wife just says the SVX is just taking up space . (She dosen't value the car as I do ). She would rather have me sell it so we can load up the third car garage with bikes and wagons!! .So if I am to ever get a second SVX (which I really want badly ,before they all have a million miles on them ) is going to be a HUGE uphill battle. One of my selling points to her is tha an SVX (clean and respectible ) would cost no more than 6 to 8k , that is no where near what an S55 would be even if I bought a used one . At this point she ain't buying it ! wish me luck on my quest!!! Thanks
Old 08-07-2005, 05:11 AM
Bipa

Ah... the SVX is already your 3rd car, and you're talking about a 4th. I get it....
(starting to seriously think about that swap - evil grin )

Here's a thought: Get a sitter or grandparents, family (whoever trustworthy & available) to take the kids for a long weekend, and plan a really nice, romantic getaway just for two... in the SVX! And let her drive it a bit more.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:40 AM

Yup Already thought about that ! But she won't take that kind of trip in the Subie. She would want to take this kind of trip In (you guessed it ) an S55
Old 08-07-2005, 08:34 AM
Bipa

Okay then, let’s take a completely different approach.

First, figure out what amount your family can comfortably save every month towards a “new car” fund.

Now, split that amount in half, and apply equally towards “Mommy’s Car” and “Daddy’s Car”

Each has complete discretionary control over his/her own fund, but not the other’s.

The catch (there’s always a catch, eh? ) is that when it comes time to actually buy a car, the monthly car payments cannot be more than the previous monthly deposits. In other words, the down payment must be high enough to bring down the remaining principal owing (plus interest) to make the payments equal to or less than those initial deposits which were being made into that respective car fund.

Ideally, you would make a high enough down payment so that any remaining payments would allow for money to be left over and continue to be saved in the car fund. That money could then be used for repair and maintenance.

So… what’cha think?

(Can you tell we have bankers and lawyers in my family? )
Old 08-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
lets see, mommy wants an s55, mommy has an sts, sell mommys sts? Oh, mommy probably wouldn't understand the logic there...
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.