Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2003, 08:56 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Test Drove a Baja last night

Well my wife in her attempts to get us down to 3 cars has decided she now wants a Baja.

It drove decent. Definately a little underpowered but very comfortable and compliant ride! This was the dealer's offer.

List price $22,570
Less trade of 95 Jetta with 40k on it in good overall shape (70% tires maybe $500 in scratchs dents, etc.) and discount for a total of $4200. The Manheim Market Report has the anticipated June wholesale price for this car at $3825.
Taxes, tags etc. 1400

Total price 19,770

This is what I countered with. $17700

Of course they said they couldn't do that without loosing money. They counter by saying they could bump up the discount/trade in allowance to $5000.

Here are the facts. The Baja has a dealer incentive of $1500 so they get an extra $1500 for each one they sell by Subaru. There is a 140 day supply of Bajas (ideal numbers is 70-80 days). The dealer wholesale price for the car is 19,500ish. My wife being addicted to the new car idea now couldn't believe I'd just walk away. I actually expected there to be a call last night when we got home. Think I'll have a call today? Oh yeah, yesterday was the last day of their financing and incentive program. Today I'm sure a new one is starting but there hasn't be anything outlining the new program.

Any thoughts out there?
Old 06-03-2003, 10:41 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Re: Test Drove a Baja last night

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

oughts out there?
Finish the house first.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 06-03-2003, 12:04 PM

Re: Re: Test Drove a Baja last night

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII

Finish the house first.
The thing with that is you kind of need a truck to do the reconstruction that we are doing (unless you wanna pay tons of delievery fees, haul away fees etc.). I'd be more than happy to see the Brat make it through 1 more year of inspection (if I could only get the rear axles out. Besides, with the posibility of kids in the future I'm not sure a Baja is the ideal kid transport as there is no center seat in the rear.

There was a message though when I got home. Seems the dealer talked to the used car manager today. They think they can give another $1000 for the Jetta.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:24 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
surprise, surprise! why don't you come back with $16,700, just for grins
hey, did you ever get your dishwasher fixed?

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-03-2003, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
surprise, surprise! why don't you come back with $16,700, just for grins
hey, did you ever get your dishwasher fixed?
16700 sounds like an excellent idea! I think I'll tell him that when I call him back. The weird thing was the salesman's computer screen had a BMW 2002Tii on it that looked familiar. The SVX toasted him at the autox I was in a couple weeks back .

The dishwasher guy came out yesterday with the part. Needed a new control board (I guess they must not test Frigidaire's before they leave the factory). Of course it isn't hooked up. They would've charged for that. They guy hooked it up to test it then unhooked everything like the way it was. Now I just need to finish the slate in there and the downstairs is pretty much done. I'll go back and strip all oak woodwork that some idiot thought would look better painted white as I get time though.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:04 PM
Hater

Re: Test Drove a Baja last night

Quote:

Any thoughts out there?
wait for the Turbo Baja - that will take care of the underpowered problem.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-03-2003, 07:18 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Bob

Tell him that 16,700 is with the Dealer Insentive, but you could go lower if he wants! That ought to get him wondering!

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 06-04-2003, 07:07 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by ensteele
Bob

Tell him that 16,700 is with the Dealer Insentive, but you could go lower if he wants! That ought to get him wondering!
Hah hah! I like the way you think! A guy I work with just bought a Baja a few months ago and just got from a Florida vacation he drove it with. He loves the car but it is underpowered. My local dealer has at least a dozen of them lined up in the lot. My guess is the dealer will work what he has to to make a deal as long as he can make a couple hundred from the deal.

Do you really want to be using your new Baja to be hauling stuff from the house project?? Maybe after a couple of years and a few parking lot dings but the wife will never let you risk it while new and shiny.

Good Luck!

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:46 AM

Baja

Underpowered is kinda subjective though. Remember I still have a Brat at the moment. It was pretty similar to my wife's Jetta as far as power goes.

I need to remember to call the dealer back to let him know my offer still stands. Its great not to be in a hurry and to know more about the incentives and programs than they apparently do. Cigar, what dealer is up your way? Do they happen to have a loaded silver stick? The only sticks that we can find are the cloth interior. The fake leather one has a ton more options and is the one that they are claiming they get the incentive on. Funny there isn't an * in the incentive program sheet I have in front of me though.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:23 PM
Superbeast

Do you really want to be using your new Baja to be hauling stuff from the house project?? Maybe after a couple of years and a few parking lot dings but the wife will never let you risk it while new and shiny.

Good Luck! [/B][/QUOTE]

Door dings? Have you seen the cladding on the sides of thoes things?

I think the BRAT has more usable bed than the BAJA anyway.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 06-05-2003, 01:33 AM
SVXdriver_007

Re: Re: Test Drove a Baja last night

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

wait for the Turbo Baja - that will take care of the underpowered problem.
I'm with stupi...I mean him
Old 06-05-2003, 07:20 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Re: Baja

Quote:
Underpowered is kinda subjective though. Remember I still have a Brat at the moment. It was pretty similar to my wife's Jetta as far as power goes.

I need to remember to call the dealer back to let him know my offer still stands. Its great not to be in a hurry and to know more about the incentives and programs than they apparently do. Cigar, what dealer is up your way? Do they happen to have a loaded silver stick? The only sticks that we can find are the cloth interior. The fake leather one has a ton more options and is the one that they are claiming they get the incentive on. Funny there isn't an * in the incentive program sheet I have in front of me though.
Bobb, the dealer is Faulkner Subaru in Bethlehem, PA. I haven't driven by in a week or two but ever since the Baja was released they have had a pile of them in the lot. If you would like I can do some scoping and check it out for you. Be sure to give me a holler if you come up this way so we can get together again.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:39 AM

[/B][/QUOTE]
I think the BRAT has more usable bed than the BAJA anyway. [/B][/QUOTE]

Definately agree with that. I'd love to keep the Brat. Wanna come down and get these stupid axles off??? The last bolt holding the rear on? Put some new rear bearings in while your at it? After spending much of the winter putting in a new engine. I'm back to having a Brat in the SVX's garage that isn't in driving shape. When you have 30+ house projects to chose from time becomes a major factor. If it didn't take 5xs as long to fix things with it as it does any other car. (i.e. messed up the threads on a 5 ton 2 arm puller trying to get the axles out of the hub) I would simply be looking for a non leather GT manual wagon for my wife. As for dings. I'm more afraid of her driving then me messing things up. She works downtown and parks downtown on the streets.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:23 PM
Superbeast

Sure I'll come fix it but I get to take it home after right?

Really, what are you trying to do? Change the wheel bearings? Or are the axles junk? Iv had to heat the axles cherry red to get them of before. Destroys everything but the axle stub and smells really bad. If you can get the axles off the rearend you can just slid the stub out of the spindle and maybe just get another stub. Just some ideas, not sure exactly what your trying to do. As for house prodjects, good luck i'm just getting into thoes myself.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 06-05-2003, 08:30 PM

Brat

You can take her home for the $1300 I'd let her go for. But now that I did get the crap off tonight. The bearings are bad (no doubt from my Pine Barrens trip). Borrowed another 2 arm puller and forced 'em out. Stripped the threads on the first one. After 20 hours of torture both inner arms are sitting on my workbench. Weird thing is the bearings don't look like any of the manuals I have. It looks like for a 4wd there should be 1 big bearing but There are 2 in here. A small one by the outer seal , a collar that goes in there and then a larger one by the inner seal. I'm really confused now. Not a clue what I should order for the machine shop to press in.