How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-20-2003, 01:57 AM
Crash

Question Is music worth it

I have been looking over a LOT of posts on stereo mods. I am very much into music, but almost as into lazy. I have already rammed a box w/ two 12s into my trunk and have a set of sony 3 way 6x9's and hu ready to go in as well. The factory unit and speakers still work umm well but I would like to do the switch. Is it really worth the trouble? How long does it take? I really don't want to mess anything up. Any of you that are writhing right now in fear of my poor svx with a punk 21 year old thumping down the road running this car into the ground, fear not!! I just want a little oomph. I drive this thing like a baby.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:23 AM

Stereo opinions run rampant here as other places. There are a few guys who have very good and expensive equipment (AFBeefcake for one, off the top of my head - there's others). Trevor has some sort of background in audio and always seems willing to help if asked serious questions.

all that said, here's my opinion (for what that's worth) for the lazy man.

Get a decent pair of component speakers for the front (this has a heavy $$ dependence of course). lose the 6X9s in the back. do a search on how to pull them out. Put the grills back in but leave the holes open so you box in the trunk has a path for the sound to come through.

Need an amp for all this of course, with crossovers properly set between components and subs.

if you want to read about some basic facts first, try this site:

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm
Old 05-20-2003, 11:46 AM
kvnobrien

Stereo

I've been messing with the stereo in the svx for about 2 years now. The sound quality has really improved but at the cost of time, money and frustration. I'm a pretty lazy son of a ***** myself but the satisfaction of creating something different for the car is overwhelming and makes me want to contiune to improve the car, stereo or otherwise.
I don't think anyone can answer the question, "Is it worth it?" because it's personal preference. I find it fun and rewarding.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:27 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Yes and no

Depending on what you listen to it may or may not be necessary. For example a 200W headunit doesn't really matter if you listen to classical. I'd say the headunit is unnecessary unless you want something with lets say Mp3 compatibility. I spent just under $100 on my speakers,amp,and sub so for me it was worth it but as knvobrian said, its all personal preference.

P.S. You would most likely be unhappy without the 6x9's. I just keep my back seat down.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 05-21-2003, 03:50 PM
Only SVX @ UCF (Cool!)

Send a message via AIM to svxjoe
You need those 6x9's

If you got a set of 12's in the trunk don't worry about hearing them or sound coming through, because you will with or without holes in your trunk area.

Keep the 6x9's....get a good head unit....replace the speakers in the door with 6.5 inch (3-ways or 2-ways) speakers and you can leave the stock tweaters in the dash. Run the amp only to you subwoofers, and then even everything out to clarity using your new headunit and its equalizer. This will be loud and clear, and you won't have to put the seat down or leave holes in your trunk comparment or anything stupid like that.

I have a single channel 400w Kenwood amp pushing two Orion 10's in an MDF Box. A pair of Pioneer 4-way 6x9's in the back window, a pair of Pioneer 6.5'' 3-way speakers in the doors, and I left the stock tweaters alone in the front dash. The 6x9's, and 6.5's are being ran by a 200W Pioneer Head Unit. My system is very balanced and very loud.

I sometimes use my car at parties as the DJ Booth. This is probably the best thing to do money wise and sound wise. I'll tell you this...play the Linkin Park C.D. in my car at a high Volume and it sounds like you are sittin in front of the speaker at their concert.

-SVXJoe

Last edited by svxjoe; 05-21-2003 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:08 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
Yes I think it is. All I can said is that my car now sounds better then most peoples home theater systems, but I have spent a lot of money and time. And I’m not done yet. I hope to be installing my new diamond audio M361I 6 –1/2” in the rear deck this week. Then I’ll be running all diamond audio speakers and subs.

But to each his own
These are just my thoughts