Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2007, 06:51 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Whine under Partial-Throttle Acceleration

Okay guys, here we go. My #1 problem at the moment, now with more video.

This happens in the SVX at 3000 RPMs, under partial throttle when accelerating. Happens in any gear (easier to get to happen in higher gears because they're longer and revs are lower). What happens is you press the throttle, and when the engine gets to about 3000 RPMs a high-pitched whine happens. This lasts for a couple hundred RPMs but once you get around 4000 it vanishes (or is perhaps just drowned out by the sound of the engine).

The funny part is, this exact same thing happened in my old 1990 Subaru Legacy L sedan. And that car has a 2.2L Boxer and was FWD! In the Legacy it began around 2500 RPMs and ended around 3500, though. It made the exact same sound. Now I know the SVX transmission is different from my Legacy's (the Legacy's wasn't as smooth and 'luxurious' on shifts like the SVX, and the SVX is AWD), and I know the engines aren't the same either (Legacy is EJ22 SOHC, SVX is EG33 DOHC). But then what could it be that would make the exact same sound in these two cars?

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I figured I'd go for the million and took some video footage of the sound in my SVX.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dy-Y1Ugq7pY

Listen carefully right when it hits 3000 RPMs. That whine is what I'm talking about. I have more videos, but it'll take me a while to get them all processed and uploaded. That video should do nicely to demonstrate my problem though.

EDIT: Here's another video, this one's longer so it does it a lot more.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sQ6JBEKFB-E

In this one, every time it gets to 3k the whine happens and then above and it seems to go away. Below and it doesn't exist. Weird...

Here's hoping there's a guru out there who knows exactly what this is!

Last edited by Nomake Wan; 07-31-2007 at 07:24 AM.