Old 02-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Every member please check in here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post

Thanks for the edit, Joe. You made it much less confusing.

From the interior photo, it looks like it does not have the heated mirrors, and the parking light button has a different look.

No problem John. We pedants can be relied upon to keep simplicity at arm's length.

The very things like you mention above are what keep me bemused about the international specs. My Jersey car is the full Monte, like English cars. However, it does come with no heated mirrors. Granted, Jersey is an island in the English channel where frost is almost unknown, but the sheer pettiness of the omission on a seriously expensive motor leaves me gobsmacked.

No doubt the sheer cost of selling fully loaded cars into England led Subaru into cutting corners wherever they could, but it's still hard to understand how such small things on a low number of cars could turn their fortunes, or else probably I'm missing the point.

It will be enlightening to have Erez tell us what exactly are the specs in his car. Never too late to learn.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Nuts View Post
Hello everyone!
My name is Erez, i am 26 years old from Israel.
8 Years ago i saw a Subaru SVX, this car is very rare here (maybe 25-30 left), and from that moment it became my dream car.
Cars in Israel are more expensive then the US, so i couldn't afford to buy an SVX.
Insted i bought Subaru XT Turbo 86' (it is rare here as well, 40-45 left).
2 weeks ago i had a chance to finally buy an SVX for a good price that i can afford, i didnt think twice.
So i am a very happy owner of 92' Pearl SVX, number 2394, don't know if it's l \ ls \ lsi (can this help? JF1CXWALOEH), with 237,000 km on it.

8 years i waited for this moment! this car appeared in my dreams so many times.

I have million questions about my car, but i believe this thread is not for that, so i will open new ones in the right places.
Welcome to SVX ownership!
I guess we'll get to see your Subaru Meet pics over here now, instead of at the XT Board
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Joe,

I agree with everything you say.

It still amazes me that in a foggy environment like the UK, rear fog lights are mandatory, but the front fog lights are nowhere to be found on our cars.

I guess in almost zero visibility, it is much better to be seen than to see.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 02-21-2011, 04:05 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Hello Erez

Accept my welcome to the Network also. It's great to have another Middle East owner on board. If you talk half as much as Danny we will get to know much more about Israel spec cars!!
Thanks Joe
Who is Danny? is there another SVX owner from Israel in the forum?

Quote:
I've taken the liberty of adding a change to John's statement above. It's not productive to be trying to match up model specification on SVXes from around the world with what was available or applicable in the USA. Different markets the world over used different trim specifications. It's quite possible that only on the American continent were these names [L, Lsi etc] used for trim levels. You can check up what the American terms mean on the website of Joe Spitz from Seattle. There is some absolutely brilliant and comprehensive information about the SVX on that site, thank you Joe Spitz!
American Specifications and colors
Thanks for the info!
I am familiar with most of what you wrote, i even bump into that link several times in the past.

Quote:
Enjoy reading through that site, but don't make the mistake of thinking that these same colours or trim levels apply to your car, your market or any other international market! There are differences, some subtle, some fundamental.

For instance, cars sold in the UK only came in one trim level, no options offered, quite similar to US Touring spec with full leather and sunroof etc. But even this one trim level for England had differences with the US top-of-the-range trim. English cars had in addition to US spec a higher spec gearbox, glass headlamps, electric tilting headlamps, heated seats and a few other changes I have forgotten.
I know there are differences, for example, i know owners that ordered ECU for their SVX from eBay and found out that their SVX doesn't work with it.

I can tell a lot about the SVXes here, if there is someone crazy enoght to investigate all XTes ans SVXes in Israel, that's me basically i already did it.
I can say that i haven't seen here yet SVX that doesn't have gray interior, sun ruf or AWD, all SVXes here are 92-94.
I have a lot of SVX pictures from Israel, where can i post them?

Quote:
As we understand the situation, your Middle Eastern SVXes possibly come without the catalysts in the exhaust line and without the EGR circuitry, so there may be fundamental differences in your car and those available in other markets.
I am not sure about the catalysts, i will check that.

Quote:
SVXes are not inexpensive cars to fix. Anywhere.
Here, it is very very expensive, and not only that, i need to beg to my mechanic to fix it because he prefer new cars to handle with.

Quote:
Welcome, and enjoy your dream motor.

Joe
Thanks again, i will!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:40 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
Welcome to SVX ownership!
I guess we'll get to see your Subaru Meet pics over here now, instead of at the XT Board
Hey Huck,
Don't worry, i won't abandon the XT Board!
Old 02-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Giday Nuts.
I would like to get a bit more information on your model. There was a model made for the Middle East, Danny "silver spear" has the only one I know of. As far as we know it had no emission gear and ran on leaded fuel. It had the catalytic converter boxes on it but they were just honeycomb with no plating on them. No EGR on the exhaust.
I would also like to know if it has a VTD AWD system or the transfer system like the XT. On the under hood fuse box, does it as FWD or DIFF LOCK on the right hand bottom fuse.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:32 AM

Registered SVX

Hi Harvey,
My mechanic knowledge on the SVX is not much, i need to learn a lot, but i can take pictures and if you can guide me i can check things.
I opened a new thread about the Israeli SVX's:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56663
Old 02-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Nuts View Post
Hi Harvey,
My mechanic knowledge on the SVX is not much, i need to learn a lot, but i can take pictures and if you can guide me i can check things.
I opened a new thread about the Israeli SVX's:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56663
Thanks for the reply Erez, I see from your other post of the pictures, that the models that you have are not the "Middle East" version. The "Premium unleaded fuel only" sticker on the speedo show it to be the emissions model that the rest of the world got.

The 94 model the you show looks like it has the US style rear light panel, all the others have the Euro type panel.

I would like the know the type of transmission that you have, as there were two types. If you could look at the under hood fuse box, to see if the right hand bottom fuse has "FWD" or "DIFF LOCK" printed on the cover?
Or on the ID plate, the transmission type No. is it TZ102Y-- or TZ102Z--

Harvey.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:39 AM

Registered SVX

"Diff lock".
Please tell me that my fuse box is the same as the US SVXs, mine is in very very bad shape and i need to get a new one.

By the way, where this connector should plug in and what will start working again because of that?

Old 03-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

"Diff Lock" says that you have the 'Variable Torque Differential' AWD system. This is the same type of AWD that is now used on the later Subarus, and a much better system than the Transfer clutch system that is used on the US and some European SVX.

This system was used on JAP, UK, AUST, and a number of European countrys. When a 10 amp fuse is fitted in that slot, it locks the front and rear wheels together so the car can be run on a four wheel drive dyno.
You can read more about it in my 'Locker' under RHD or 94 Euro.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?oab_au

I would think the fuse box is the same as all the models,only the wiring would be different. As for the connector what is it? I don't know Erez, my 95 Australian model doesn't have those switches on that panel. That looks like the UK model, so Joe will probable know what they do.

Thanks for the information, It would help to know in which country the car was first delivered. Maybe you could take a picture of the compliance plate, on the right hand side strut tower.

Harvey.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Which do you want first?

Good news? Or bad news??

Based on your fusebox cover your gearbox is the VTD type. This is the better type of gearbox to have, you have full time AWD with full time traction control, plus you have normally 65% of the power going to the rear, varying to 50/50 in extreme slippage.

On the bottom right of the diagram you can see where it shows a 10A fuse slot, with diff lock shown in brackets. What this means is when a 10A fuse is in that slot, your gearbox is locked in diff lock situation, with 50/50 distribution front to rear.

However, don't drive it with this fuse in place, it will put serious strain on the clutches if you do a figure of 8 or a tight turn on concrete. Because the diff is locked.

The term VTD means Viscous Torque Distribution. The other gearbox type is called the ACT-4, and this is the type fitted to the USA market cars and certain other markets. The essential difference is that the ACT-4 gearbox is more akin to a FWD gearbox that has had an electronic coupling added to drive a rear propshaft, and send some of the power to the rear wheels. The ACT-4 gearbox behaves most of the time like a FWD box unless accelerating hard with traction being lost at the rear. In that case the electronic clutch will channel more power to the back wheels.

The one you have in your car is the correct one to have. It's the gearbox Subaru fits to the more powerful Legacy turbo cars and Forester turbo cars. If you put the 10A fuse in the same slot on a US car with ACT-4 gearbox it deactivates the electronic clutch and effectively turns the car into a full time FWD [front wheel drive] car. This is actually very useful in certain circumstances, but the VTD equipped cars such as yours are better to drive in all situations.

Your empty 10A fuse and your fuse box in general look very crudded up and shaky, that's the bad news. I expect you know that. You should be able to buy a fuse box from a parted out car. Unless you would rather buy a new one?

Thanks for all the info. Danny's car is from the Lebanon, and according to Danny approx 23 cars were sold in Lebanon in 1992-1993. They also were VTD equipped.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 03-01-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:41 AM

Registered SVX

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Maybe you could take a picture of the compliance plate, on the right hand side strut tower.

Harvey.
Can you post a picture of the area you are talking about, i don't understand?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Interesting stuff on Israeli car but should be in it's own thread, not this one.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:59 PM
soup IS good food

Registered SVX

Hello,

Been lurking for a long time but figured I'd introduce myself after a day of working on the SVX.

I purchased my '97 in mid January to replace my '97 OBW that was totaled. I was sitting at a red light minding my own business when someone slammed into the back of the line of cars. The wagon had 185k on it. I've wanted an SVX for some time so I took the insurance money and bought an SVX with 84k. I had enough left over to replace the mismatched tires and a rear wheel bearing.

I started some basic maintenance, oil change, ac/alternator belts and PCV valve (serious pia, had o grind down a harbor freight claw foot to get it off). I'm still waiting for a new PCV hose to come in at the dealership since the old one cracked in half from moving it around and the generic is badly kinked.

Last week I found a crack in the radiator top tank. After checking comments on here I went with a silla off of ebay for about 130 shipped. I was surprised at how easy it was to replace and had enough time left over this afternoon to change the oil (second time since purchasing since I'm at 91k now) drain and fill ATF and change the front diff oil

Now I'll see how the SVX holds up to high mileage as my commute is 100 miles each way every day.

btw this is my 6th Subaru. My first was an 89' XT6 I bought new, sold that one at 120k and bought a new '98 2.5 LGT which my wife totaled at 189k and we replaced with the '97 OBW. I bought a used '04 H6 VDC sedan a few years ago with 40k on it and put 80k on it in two years before swapping with my wife for the wagon that is currently her car. Somewhere in there I bought another XT6 with a digidash swap. That one is sitting in my garage waiting for my "spare time" to finish getting it road-worthy.

If you've been keeping count, I currently own cars with 3 out of 4 of Subaru’s H6's. (Maybe someone from Subaru will notice this and donate one of the new ones to me so I can complete the set).
Old 03-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Welcome aboard! You'll meet lots of interesting folks here, with a wealth of SVX knowledge drawn from at least 4 Continents.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket