Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2008, 02:15 PM

Registered SVX
New to the SVX family; first problems: noises...

Hi everybody,

We've bought an SVX recently; nice car, I have always admired its design and finally I own one '96, black, LSi.

However, it came with some (hopefully small) problems - which went unnoticed when I bought it.

First, when the engine starts cold, there is some screeching noise for about 10-15 seconds. Then it runs smoothly, without producing any bad noises/vibration. Engine oil is okay, clear and 1/2" above the "L" level. Timing/driving belts were replaced by the previous owner recently. What could it be?

Also, there is a slight screeching noise when a sharp left turn is made. I suspect CV joint. However, what puzzles me is that the noise is screeching, like a friction, not a clicking/cranking sound. Since it has only started a couple of days ago, I hope the joints did not take any damage and the repair needed will only be grease/boot replacement.

However, if it is a joint failure and a joint or half-shaft is to be replaced, what are the ballpark estimates for the cost of repairs and the time it takes? I tried to check availability of half-shaft assemblies and only found re-manufactured ones - how reliable are they? Are new ones available?

I scheduled an appointment on Friday with the dealer where we bought the other vehicle in our family, Capitol Subaru of San Jose. However, I would be grateful if anyone could recommend a good mechanic for SVX in the Bay Area, preferably in the south bay.

Thanks in advance!