Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
problem with using the plastic tanks are they will be more vulnerable to stress cracks, hence the reason I asked if they were running an all-aluminum radiator... Dan, it might be worth experimenting with... but might want to bring some back-up supplies just in case

Tom
Old 02-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Radiator caps are cheap. I might try the 19-21 psi first. I forget. Is our radiator cap a standard size? Bought one once before, but don't remember what I bought.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 02-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
anyone willing to point toward the cast cross over pipe that connects the two halves of the engine coolant system together as a potential contributor to the cooling "issues"? Given its shape, I can almost get myself to believe it is contributing to gas bubbles....just something to throw out there for discussion.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
Radiator caps are cheap. I might try the 19-21 psi first. I forget. Is our radiator cap a standard size? Bought one once before, but don't remember what I bought.
not saying the cap will be damaged... hopefully the plastic radiator will hold the new pressure.

Bill, you are right with your thinking as it has crossed my mind as well... But trying to find a way to prove this theory is going to be troublesome

Tom
Old 02-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
I have a 18psi STi radiator cap on my car with a stock radiator
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 02-28-2008, 02:59 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Has anyone bought OEM lately? I was told by a lady in the service department at the Subaru dealer that SOA superceded the original SVX radiator with a metal design. I haven't been able to confirm it, except that the SOA parts system does show that the part number has been superceded. With what it doesn't specify.

So, anyone out there lately who bought P/N 45199PA001? Is it metal, or still plastic?

Sorry for the hijack, RallyBob.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:45 AM

I don't know about the SVX, but when I installed a crucial cap in my WRX, not to long after I started getting seam leaks between the tank and the core. Aluminum is the way to go, and from his post, this is the way he went. He is running a Koyo aluminum, which is what I run in my WRX as well.

I have had seen these planstic tanks crack a couple of times, so I think you may have gotten some bad information. Either that or they deteriorate fast. Don't forget, aluminum can be repaired too.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:56 AM

Bob:

If you come up with a good aluminum pan design and would like to spread the cost among some folks, I would be very interested in participating in a group buy.

Anyone else interested

Chuck D.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Registered fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando View Post
Bob:

If you come up with a good aluminum pan design and would like to spread the cost among some folks, I would be very interested in participating in a group buy.

Anyone else interested

Chuck D.
It won't be an aluminum pan, largely because it's easier to start with the OEM as a foundation. Jack purchased a new stock steel pan last year, and I'll just build it off that.

I personally can't manufacture the pans, but I could possibly provide templates for someone else to do it if you guys are interested in a group buy.

The trap doors will be something similar to these. pic1, pic2, pic3, pic4, pic5.

It's a style I've used a lot in the past on circle track, race and rally engines. Pretty simple and cheap material-wise, but just time consuming for someone like me to build (in other words expensive for one-offs). You need to find someone with mass production capabilities to make it cost-effective.

The only other addition would be a crank scraper most likely. The windage must be extreme at 8000+ rpms.

Bob
Old 02-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
not saying the cap will be damaged... hopefully the plastic radiator will hold the new pressure.

Bill, you are right with your thinking as it has crossed my mind as well... But trying to find a way to prove this theory is going to be troublesome

Tom
Tom,
I'm seriously considering fabricating a replacement out of Al tubing, making sure that it has a greater volume than the stock piece. I've got a spare stock piece in the garage to use as a guide. Now, if I can just figure out when I'll have time to do it
-Bill (jet lagged from CA work trip...)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 02-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Maniac modifier

point is Bill, why bother fabricating this piece when it may not be the culprit?? A long day at the track and a laser thermometer may be a little conclusive??

Tom
Old 02-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
point is Bill, why bother fabricating this piece when it may not be the culprit?? A long day at the track and a laser thermometer may be a little conclusive??

Tom
Ah, because fabricating is a diversion I enjoy?
-Bill
p.s. but seriously, the forming of the gas bubble is a transient event and we'd have to instrument the h*ll out of the block (quick response thermocouples, etc.) to determine conclusively where the bubble is actually forming. It's probably easier to just replace the stock piece and run the h*ll out of the car to see if the problem has gone away.

My Locker
Old 03-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Registered fabricator

Teeny update.

Jack got in his high pressure radiator cap. He did a test to the car's cooling system, it held at 24 psi, no problem. He then tested the new cap, it held at 23 psi for 1 hour, no loss of pressure. He tested the old cap that was on the car, it started to bleed pressure at 12-13 psi, and went downhill from there. All pressure gone within 5 minutes.

So it appears the overheating culprit may have been nothing more than a bad radiator cap. Here's hoping....

Bob
Old 03-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Maniac modifier

cool!! Thanks for the update!

Tom
Old 03-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Registered fabricator

Quote:
cool!! Thanks for the update!

Tom
Another small teaser then.

I *might* be contracted to fully develop an EG33 for a top level driver in a yet unnamed US motorsport. We're thinking totally outside the box, but it might raise a few eyebrows and most likely will cause the rulesmakers to have to rewrite those rules, as I personally think it will be a dominant car/driver combination.

But we'll just have to see how it pans out during the planning stages.