Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Registered fabricator

Re: 285 whp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Is your issue with the oil pan the pan design itself or the way the oil pickup sets in the pan (or both?) I'd been told by others that the stock pan's baffling wasn't bad (in response to my inquires about running a dry sump)
The baffling is okay, but it needs better anti-slosh control for braking, and trap doors for the cornering. Keep in mind this is a lighter car with 9.5" slicks with some aero effect going on....I would not be surprised if 1.5+ lateral G's are happening on the banking at Pocono.

My real pet peeve is simply the shape of the pan. It's a soup bowl. Not conducive to oil control! A half-round shape like that has no way to keep the oil from climbing the sides while braking and cornering, and to a lesser effect even during acceleration. Even if the baffling keeps it away from the crank, the oil might not be anywhere near the pickup. And even if the engine is not under load, it may very well be spinning 8000 rpms at that given moment, and even 1/2 second of starvation at that rpms will not be kind to the bottom end parts.

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 08-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
The baffling is okay, but it needs better anti-slosh control for braking, and trap doors for the cornering. Keep in mind this is a lighter car with 9.5" slicks with some aero effect going on....I would not be surprised if 1.5+ lateral G's are happening on the banking at Pocono.

My real pet peeve is simply the shape of the pan. It's a soup bowl. Not conducive to oil control! A half-round shape like that has no way to keep the oil from climbing the sides while braking and cornering, and to a lesser effect even during acceleration. Even if the baffling keeps it away from the crank, the oil might not be anywhere near the pickup. And even if the engine is not under load, it may very well be spinning 8000 rpms at that given moment, and even 1/2 second of starvation at that rpms will not be kind to the bottom end parts.
So, maybe something more like a typical Moroso pan (straight sides, squared off kickouts)?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-06-2008, 02:59 AM

Bob what compression will you guys go with?
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Registered fabricator

Quote:
So, maybe something more like a typical Moroso pan (straight sides, squared off kickouts)?
-Bill
It'll be squared off with some kickouts. None too radical, still need to be able to access the pan bolts as well as the header bolts. And 4 trap doors most likely.

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 08-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Registered fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Bob what compression will you guys go with?
Tony
Jack was talking about 12:1. I think he wants to refrain from having to buy 'straight' racing fuel. A mix might be okay however (93 octane + 100 octane). Budget is always looming!

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 08-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
It'll be squared off with some kickouts. None too radical, still need to be able to access the pan bolts as well as the header bolts. And 4 trap doors most likely.
I was thinking the same thing... Just try and square out the bottom of the pan... Increases volume, decreases any likelyhood of starving the pick-up and will be relatively simple to fabricate...

Tom
Old 11-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Registered fabricator

Small update here.

I completed the oil pan with trap doors for Jack's EG33. Some teasers.

The rest of the pics are here.

The shortblock parts for the new engine are done, Jack is waiting for the custom head gaskets to arrive and then assembly of his new engine will commence. Compression ratio is 11.95:1, the new displacement is a bit over 3.5 litres. More updates when it's finished and dynoed.

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 11-09-2008, 12:17 AM

Registered SVX

Bob...talk to me about cooling and inlet.

What are your plans for each?

I notice the oil cooler plumbing...are the sandwich plates effective? Does it provide the right level of cooling? Can the oil pump deal with it?

I'm actually considering going for individual throttle bodies as a mate can make them pretty cheaply...have you looked at that?

Matt
Old 11-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Registered fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt View Post
Bob...talk to me about cooling and inlet.

What are your plans for each?
I took some time to review the spare block and heads this time around, while the machine shop was working on the shortblock. I mentioned to Jack some of the shortcomings I *thought* I saw in the stock cooling system. So between him and the machinist, some of those areas were addressed (lots of sharp edges and turns) via grinding and machining. I had also suggested a revised externally plumbed cooling system, but that won't happen this time around.

Quote:
I notice the oil cooler plumbing...are the sandwich plates effective? Does it provide the right level of cooling? Can the oil pump deal with it?
Oil temps haven't been an issue. They do climb somewhat when the water temp climbs, but all in all it works well. Lines are -10AN (5/8" - 15.87 mm ID), the billet sandwich plate I think is by Canton Racing, and the cooler is Setrab. The oil pump is interesting, apparently it specs out the same as an STI pump, but with fewer shims under the spring. Not my findings, but rather
Jack and his machinist again.

Quote:
I'm actually considering going for individual throttle bodies as a mate can make them pretty cheaply...have you looked at that?
He thought about the Extrudabody setup from a Porsche 911 (simple adaptation based on my discussions with the owner). But it's not currently in the budget. The other EG33 project I'm *sort of* working on will definitely have the ITB's.

HTH,

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 11-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Maniac modifier

Bob, Looks great bud! I was thinking of a dry sump the other day... still lingering... Need to weigh my options

Tom
Old 11-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Bob,
Nice! What's the total oil capacity now?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 11-10-2008, 02:17 PM

The JDM Dual AVCS engines apparently use the same oil pump as the SVX uses a wider pump rotor than the normal STi's. The 08+ STi is a dual AVCS engine so should have the wider pump rotor too.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon View Post
The JDM Dual AVCS engines apparently use the same oil pump as the SVX uses a wider pump rotor than the normal STi's. The 08+ STi is a dual AVCS engine so should have the wider pump rotor too.
Are you saying that you think we should be able to use the oil pump off of an '08 STi??
-Bill

My Locker
Old 11-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Are you saying that you think we should be able to use the oil pump off of an '08 STi??
-Bill
Unless there is a way to mount the two crank sensors, we cannot use their case

Tom
Old 11-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Registered fabricator

Quote:
Bob,
Nice! What's the total oil capacity now?
-Bill
We'll find out when he adds oil.....

I suspect he gained at least two quarts.

EG33 Impreza tweaks