Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Brake Upgrades
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
In my post, I made mention of the fact that the SVX caliper mounts sit further out than the WRX. Hence, where the STi 4 pots on a WRX have a 295mm disc, the same calipers on an SVX require about 320mm.

If you go to the Brembo's, (which on an STi require a 320mm disc), by the same logic, you'll be needing something like about 345mm disc.

That's one big disc.
What I'm wondering though is: Can I mount 2005 STI Brembo calipers under 17" wheels. The above post seems to suggest not.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 12-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Maniac modifier

Sti wheels are 17" factory

Tom
Old 12-22-2006, 05:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
17" rims will fit the rotor. What you have to worry about is will the offset of your rim clear the rotors, or will the spoaks catch on it.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:25 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I'm currently running 48mm offset, so would greater or less offset be required to provide adequate clearance? Also, still don't understand Dynomatt's post below. He seems to be saying that puting the 2005 Brembo's on an SVX would require a 345mm rotor, 20mm larger that the OEM STI rotor

Quote:
In my post, I made mention of the fact that the SVX caliper mounts sit further out than the WRX. Hence, where the STi 4 pots on a WRX have a 295mm disc, the same calipers on an SVX require about 320mm.

If you go to the Brembo's, (which on an STi require a 320mm disc), by the same logic, you'll be needing something like about 345mm disc.

That's one big disc.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 12-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Maniac modifier

No, he weas guessing... He is using Nissan Calipers... Trust me, if the brembos don't fit, I will buy them from you, Make sure you get all the mounting hardware as well

Tom
Old 12-22-2006, 08:15 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade
I'm currently running 48mm offset, so would greater or less offset be required to provide adequate clearance? Also, still don't understand Dynomatt's post below. He seems to be saying that puting the 2005 Brembo's on an SVX would require a 345mm rotor, 20mm larger that the OEM STI rotor
You're good to go Dan.

Stock '05 STi wheels are 17x8" with a +48 offset - exactly the same specs as your Rota Boosts!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 12-23-2006, 09:48 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Still chasing Sti calipers, but the bid is getting up there. Wondering about these on from an eBay shop:

Quote:
This sell is for a Subaru 4 pot caliper upgrade kit. The kit includes left and right calipers, one set of Hawk HPS brake pads and all neccessary mounting pins and springs!

These calipers come painted black!

It there is one weakness to the WRX, it is its brakes, and the more power that you make, the more obvious this becomes. Subaru has finally addressed this issue on the 2006 WRX by putting on Subaru’s 4-Pot brake calipers, and now you can retro-fit these calipers to your WRX and dramatically improve your braking capacity.

The Subaru 4-Pot calipers were first used on the 2000 – 2001 JDM STI, and are what many Subaru Rally Teams are currently using in Open, and Group-N classes.

These calipers are a direct bolt on, and use the same front rotors as the 2002 – 2005 WRX.

Because these are 4-Pot calipers, these calipers may not clear your wheels.

The kit included

- 1 pair of calipers

- 1 set of Hawk HPS Front Pads

- All necessary mounting pins and spring

Please check out our store and email any questions.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:17 AM

Those aren't s good as the brembos, and are the same as the ones found on my '06 WRX (just not painted red).

Old 12-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

So what size rotor would they require, if bolted on an SVX? I assume I might have to switch to '06 WRX rotors because of hat size and offset issues and bolt spacing.

Last edited by shotgunslade; 12-23-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:11 AM

Registered SVX
Are you sure? The calipers pictured are iron, I believe, with raised letters. The 06 calipers are aluminum?, without raised letters. Can you confirm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Those aren't s good as the brembos, and are the same as the ones found on my '06 WRX (just not painted red).
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 12-23-2006, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade
So what size rotor would they require, if bolted on an SVX? I assume I might have to switch to '06 WRX rotors because of hat size and offset issues and bolt spacing.
Not sure what size rotor they would require. But those are similar to the Nissan 300ZX calipers - TomsSVX may have test fitted some and would be able to give you a better answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed
Are you sure? The calipers pictured are iron, I believe, with raised letters. The 06 calipers are aluminum?, without raised letters. Can you confirm?
To the best of my knowledge, the calipers pictured are aluminum (just painted black). The Nissan 300ZX calipers were cast iron/steel IIRC... My '06 calipers have the same raised section with the SUBARU letters painted on.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Maniac modifier

the mounting bolts will allow for them to fit but the rotors will not. Since the STi uses a different hub, the rotors are different than wrx rotors. In short, we do not think the suby 4 pots will fit. Only the Brembos are known to fit easily. The Nissan 300zx calipers are aluminum and the suby 4 pots are cats iron. The brembos are aluminum as well as far as I know

Tom
Old 12-23-2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
The Nissan 300zx calipers are aluminum and the suby 4 pots are cats iron.
Gotcha. I wasn't sure which was which...

Old 01-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Its a Classic!

has anyone tested the STi brembos yet with success??

Edit: NVM i read toms post
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.

Last edited by jman050; 01-25-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:10 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
Speaking of which...anyone around Chicago thinking of doing this might want to jump on these.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3009918

edit: just noticed it's only the fronts...still, not bad
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?