Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-24-2010, 11:27 PM

Re: The SVX and you

Been a while since some one has posted to this post. This car is a toy car for me. It does need maintenance that is quite expensive that is why I say toy. I am a big car enthusiast and of rare types indeed regardless of cost. So as some one who just loves this car, expense becomes something that I've put aside. I have a wine taste on a beer budget as well. I do agree that for a daily driver something you buy new and take care of ends up being a wiser choice for many different reasons. I also own a 1989 Trans am GTA 5.7L with t-tops (Another some what rare model of those cars) and wouldn't use it as a daily driver. Although much much cheaper to work on and has been very reliable other than that stupid 700t4 transmission, which are a dime a dozen, its a very old car and needs a lot of maintenance due to this. Another toy. If you love your car you love your car, it just depends on how much you want to spend on your toys. I will be using mine as a daily driver with a fresh 5 speed transplant in a couple of weeks as it has been used for that very thing dependably for years. I as well would like a newer but low millage Toyota truck for a daily driver and start restoring my 96 SVX, 67 GMC truck, 89 T.A. GTA, and 84 RX7 to a 383 stroker drag car lol AKA my toys. When it comes to cars and cost efficiency, history of, age of car, and parts availability as well as cost all play a big roll in deciding what car is best for your needs. Research is defiantly key in making this decision. Take car of your car and it will take care of you. If you like to drive older cars just keep in mind money does play are part in dependability of your car as some cost more to maintain and repair than others which is a big reason research is definitely a smart thing to do before buying a car.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:43 PM

Interesting observation in the Porsche v. SVX conversation:

I bought my 92' SVX from original owner, retired gentleman. He had just sold house and was retiring to a condo in the city with limited parking. His wife had a BMW 7 series wagon; he had the SVX w/89,000 miles and a brand new Porsche Boxster. As we were signing over the paperwork he says to me" If I had to choose between a brand new SVX and the Boxster, I'd take the SVX."
Old 02-25-2010, 12:24 AM
look like a leprechaun to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon770 View Post
I also own a 1989 Trans am GTA 5.7L with t-tops (Another some what rare model of those cars) and wouldn't use it as a daily driver. Although much much cheaper to work on and has been very reliable other than that stupid 700t4 transmission, which are a dime a dozen, its a very old car and needs a lot of maintenance due to this. Another toy. If you love your car you love your car, it just depends on how much you want to spend on your toys. I will be using mine as a daily driver with a fresh 5 speed transplant in a couple of weeks as it has been used for that very thing dependably for years. I as well would like a newer but low millage Toyota truck for a daily driver and start restoring my 96 SVX, 67 GMC truck, 89 T.A. GTA, and 84 RX7 to a 383 stroker drag car lol AKA my toys.
Heh, seems we have similar taste. I've also got an odd duck car collection, including an '88 Trans Am GTA which is currently undergoing a 383 stroker / Super Ram swap. A beefed up transmission and Ford 8" rear are going in as well, along with chassis upgrades and some other fun stuff. Can't wait for the summer!

Out of everything I have though, the SVX has needed the most love. Mine was horribly neglected and kind of thrashed when I got it though - the big issues have all been solved, although I'm still working out minor bugs. I'm planning on some bodywork to get rid of a bit of rust, then a fresh coat of paint this summer, if all goes as planned...
Old 02-25-2010, 01:26 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley Pirate View Post
Edit: forgot something important: I was comparing a whole lot of cars when I finally got down to the SVX. The Porsche that I equate most closely to the SVX was NOT the 911 series cars, but rather the 928. And I looked at a couple of those, too... very expensive to maintain, and no all weather capability.
Hi Paisley

Interesting choice for a Porsche. I would actually think the 968 is far closer to the SVX for comparison, with the 3.0 litre engine.

Most people compare the 911 because of the flat six engine similarity, but the rear engine configuration makes the geography and cabin capability totally different.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-25-2010, 01:27 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GgabrielBenitez View Post
Hey all! Finally am able to post after months of waiting for approval to do so, otherwise would have dropped a note earlier.

Any way back to the topic, I am part of the younger crowd (18 ) that owns the SVX, I love it. My 94L is my baby girl. And when buying the car I couldn't deny that the car needs A LOT of care. But that's what's especially exciting! Getting to fix up your car is something I can pride on. Although I know almost nothing the learning process is more fun than I thought it would be.

Yes, my car is currently my daily driver, but I plan on getting a truck so I can garage my SVX and restore it.

I make little money at my crap job but I work hard. Real hard. And plan on getting this beast back to it's original state. Should take me about 3 years.

TL;DR Hey all!
Welcome Gabriel.

Sounds like you are one of us all right.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-11-2010, 12:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to ykobayashi
Registered SVX

Yes, this post puts everything into perspective in the greater scheme of the "SVX Universe" (which we are). Owning an SVX is truly a labor of love. No aftermarket parts, expensive replacement parts, and hard as hell to work on!

You can't go into an SVX expecting it to be an alternative for Honda Civic, ricer's car. Its tempermental and fussy and if you're not willing to give plenty of patience and money up, this is water you don't want to dive into.

I, myself, am a sucker for hard luck cases and unique cars. That is what brought me to my baby which had been sitting on the dealer lot for almost two years untitled and unloved. I went to the Subie dealer looking for a car for the wife in a Impreza wagon and the sales guy was complaining to me that he couldn't unload the SVX. Three months later of strong arm negotiations with him, I drove out of the dealer with my baby in October of 1996!

[B]1995 SVX L AWD - Original Owner
65k - Brilliant Red
Mods: K&N Drop In Filter, Sony aftermarket CD/MP3 Stereo and Speakers, Sumitomo HTR+ Tires

2004 Mazda 6S 5-door - Steel Grey - 5 speed manual transmission - Daily Driver

2011 Mazda CX-9 - Wife's ride
Old 07-24-2011, 09:29 PM

Close to 2 years later, my perspective ...

I've owned a 92 Ebony LSi since 1997. I purchased it in early 97 with 50,000 kilometres on it for $15,000.

Now it's 13.5 years later. I'm on my third transmission (this one's a good re-manned one and I have a capable transmission cooler installed. I've replaced many of the key parts when they've ceased functioning .. water pump. alternator, shocks, new valve cover gaskets, etc.

With the recent maintenance after 3 yrs of storage, the installation of both an ECU and TCU from ECUTune and a new paint job, I've put about $11,000 into it over 13,5 years.

I've also spent hours with seat leather restorer, toothbrush-detailing of the entire interior and cleaning and polishing (the original Ebony Mica paint wasn't too bad, but now with the new paint it's that lovely-black-but-deep-brown-maroon-with-sparkly-bits that looks so mysteriously-why-isn't-it-black when you look at it for a moment longer.

The engine is almost pristine. No leaks.

$11,000 plus the purchase price of $15,000 = $26,000.

There is NO WAY - I feel - that I could match the build quality, luxury, performance, peppy driving, smooth cruising and seating comfort with any new or used German or Japanese sports sedan if I had to spend that $26,000 today.

Bonus: I've gotten to know a quirky car really quite well. It's useful to have a vision and patience.

Yesterday I said to my mechanic .. "It's running better and looking nicer than when I bought it". He had been there to check it over when I bought it, has done virtually all the work over the years, and yesterday he agreed.

He's gotten really interested in it over the years, as a challenge (he's a really smart guy, having decided to become a (very successful) mechanic 1/2-way through his therefore-incomplete PhD in political science).

Since it's been restored to the road in March, I have told him several times he should be proud of himself.

I consider the money I have spent very fair value for the car I now drive daily, with a big smile.

92 Mercedes Benz 300CE, Arctic White 187,000 kms
Old 07-24-2011, 09:32 PM

P.S.

.. with the ECU and TCU, it now operates on 87 octane gasoline.

Woot !

92 Mercedes Benz 300CE, Arctic White 187,000 kms
Old 10-15-2011, 04:05 PM

Registered SVX
Just bought this SVX

Hey guys, I just bought my first SVX!
Its a red 94. It has some minor body damage from hitting a snow berm and needs a lot of interior work, the leather has been torn and is basically destroyed, also the E-brake was chewed on by a dog......but other then that the car has been well maintained and never run hard. The first owner was an old lady who used it as a commuter, the second was a early twenty to late twenties woman who also used it as commuter but now has a family so she got a wagon, but now the car is mine and i will be picking it up on Thursday.
I will fill you guys in on it when i get it, i have a lot of work to do, but I am excited and ready!
P.S. here it is, http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/2587144606.html

Last edited by Mr. Nosidda; 10-15-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:37 PM

Registered SVX

Brake handle is removable with a set screw. I am sure there are a few on the board. I love the red ones . NEXT to my BLUE of course <LOL>
Looks like you got a good base for a nice SVX . There are covers available for the seats. As a matter of fact there is a set on E bay right now . Gray and white leather. Used seats are also common.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:41 PM

Registered SVX

This is a great thread -- especially for a newish owner like me.

I've been wanting one for many years but the right car and circumstances only came together for me in June when I got my '97 which is fairly low mileage and in very nice shape.

It's needed some significant work -- including an engine rebuild -- but is getting sorted out and will be a keeper. There are still a few issues like a sticking rear brake caliper and a rattle on acceleration (mechanic says its a loose heat shield but I'm not convinced). Winter is coming and I'll get snow tires mounted on the OEM wheels.

And I've picked up the '92 as a parts donor. She's got a great body and glass.
'97 Ebony LSi #426, CDM (1 of 51 in '97), 185k km, rebuilt engine & transfer case; 22mm Bontrager RSB; 4300k HID 9006 bulbs SOLD
'92 Ebony LS-L #6851, USDM (sold)
'08 Forester (wife's)
'06 STi (traded for the Forester)
'94 Legacy wagon (sold)
Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 AM

This thread should be mandatory reading for potential SVX owners and for those who lose their perspective on our truly unique vehicles.

97 LSi Brilliant Red
94 LSi Pearl White

Last edited by Fireflydad; 11-07-2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 05-17-2012, 04:46 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
I need to vent something that has been on my mind lately.

To pre-tense this a little I am sick and tired of hearing a commercial on the radio or TV that uses the phrase "now more than ever" Seriously?? Did you wipe your ass with $100 bills before the recession??

Ok to the point. I have been reading the forums for years now and have seen many members come and go. We are in the middle of the "young" crowd migration and a lot of older members are less frequent. This not a bad thing,as diversity amongst us is what brings us together. But with it the realization that the cars are losing value becomes aparent as the "young" crowd typically has a lower budget. With that being said please take the next couple points to heart before buying an SVX.

1. It is a 16 year old car. It is going to NEED maintenance that may or may not have been kept up on by the previous owners. GET USED TO IT!!

2. Head Gasket failures are becoming more and more common. I have not noticed any particular year, mileage, abusive owners, or any other factor contributing to the cause of failure more than AGE. If you are buying an SVX, expect this repair within the next 3 years at least.

3. The transmissions are FINE! The 1992's did have a string of things wrong with them that caused a premature failure. These have essentially been phased out by remans. Seriously at this point, you need to realize that automatic transmissions from the late 80's are not going to last a hell of a lot longer than 100K especially if they are not maintained and serviced regularly. If you are buying an SVX with the original trans, be skeptical but at this age, it is likely going to be an issue. If you get one with a rebuilt trans, be skeptical but make sure it is serviced often and properly.

4. You are not going to make a 400hp SVX w/ a couple hundred bucks. It is not a modifier's car. It is a fabricator's car to modifiy. You are not gonna find parts on JC Whitney or Summit Racing that will bolt on. EVERYTHING is specialty for this vehicle. Some of us have done our best to convert commonly used parts from other vehicles to adapt to the car. BUT this doesn't mean it is going to be cheap or easy. If you want real performance gains, you will need $10k as a good start.

5. The wheels bearings are not bad by design. Example: I race my 1992 silver w/ 160K on the ODO. It has the factory wheel bearings in it. These are some of the things that are called REGULAR MAINTENANCE. It is possible to deal with a hub that may be out of round. In these select few cases the hub needs to be replaced to fix the issue. Again, it is not the bearing's fault, it is a bad hub. As long as they are installed properly, they will last a long time

6. Exhaust systems are going to rust. You are talking about 16 year old tubing here people. It sees extremely hot temperatures, water, salt, you name it. They are only going to get worse. STOP trying to patch it, have it replaced in sections if you cannot afford to replace the entire exhaust.

7. Rubber, it dries out. Engine mounts, transmission mounts, differential bushings, exhaust hangers, control arm bushings, swap bar bushings... These things are going to fail. You own an old car, get used to the idea.

8. Oil Leaks, its a Subaru... its going to happen. FIX THEM! I have seen undercoating wiped off of the bottom of some of the cars that come into the shop because the oil simply breaks it down. It is not helping anything.

9. Services, you want to fix you cam seals after reading point #8. Do you know when the timing belt was changed? Do you know when the water pump was changed?? Are those idlers from 1990 really still good?? These are not questions you need to ask. When taking the timing covers off do the following. Replace the cam seals, cam plugs, crank seal, water pump, thermostat, thermostat gasket, water pump gasket, timing belt, timing belt idlers. This will save you money in the long run because it takes at least an hour to get to any of these to repair on their own. Labor=$ Save money by spending it wisely.

10.This may be the most important of all. It is a 1992-1997 CAR!! Doesn't matter if it is a Subaru or a Ford. It will need maintenance, it will need repairs, and it will need them sooner than you want to believe.

So for you that own them. Start taking care of them and stop *****ing about how expensive they are to have, or sell them to someone who will. For those of you buying them. This will help you be aware of what you are buying into and hopefully guide you in the correct direction with your decision.

I will offend people by making this thread, I hope I enlighten the majority

Tom
Young Tommy,

You mention at the beginning of your vent the old guys drift in & out, that would be me. I'm 71, my SVX is 20, not 16 as you mention at the top. Please give us old farts our due for holding on when most others bailed. Unlike you sir, I will not ever give up my 1992 SVX, ever, they will have to take it from my Charleton Heston cold fingers if they can pry them off the wheel!!!

Elsewise, good vent.

Oops!, sorry Tom just noticed the 2009 origination date. Kicked this thread back to life, eh?

Last edited by dromano; 05-17-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Well said Tom. This is a great read for anyone considering buying a SVX (and maybe for some owners as well). A lot of good points are brought up.
I, like dromano, don't plan on letting my SVX go, ever! She's a '92, twenty years young and going strong. 65,000 miles on her when I bought her fifteen years ago, she's now a few miles away from 230,000.
I have to admit, when I first got her, I (like Tom mentioned about younger buyers with limited budgets), didn't know what I was getting into. My first few years were hard. I had bearing failures like crazy, so many that I lost count. Also, I had to have the third transmission put in the car. At the car's ten year mark, she needed so much engine work, I had a major decision to make. Get rid of her or bite the bullet and fix her.
Needless to say, I decided to fix her. I think that was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Little by little I got everything taken care of. She became a reliable daily driver. I became much more aware of the importance of maintenance (I think age and maturity had a bit to do with that) and my love for the car continued to grow.
In 2006 I took a job in New York. The SVX was put into storage. Five years later, another change in jobs brought me back to California.
Now, with a new look, my SVX is once again my daily driver. I can't imagine not having her in my life.
For anyone considering buying one, I would say this:
Buy one because you love it. Know what you're getting into, and be willing to do what it needs to keep it on the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DSC_0545_2.jpeg (390.9 KB, 551 views)

1992 SVX LS-L "Black Beauty" 292,500K (purchased April, 1997 w/65K)
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...psz1xmhtdo.jpg

1992 SVX LS-L "Blanca" 214,000K
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...pskv0odesa.jpg
2004 Mazda RX-8
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7vggfwfu.jpg
1974 Mazda RX-4
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...psentjrygb.jpg

Last edited by AlcyoneSVX; 05-17-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Add Photo.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:12 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlcyoneSVX View Post
Well said Tom. This is a great read for anyone considering buying a SVX (and maybe for some owners as well). A lot of good points are brought up.
I, like dromano, don't plan on letting my SVX go, ever! She's a '92, twenty years young and going strong. 65,000 miles on her when I bought her fifteen years ago, she's now a few miles away from 230,000.
I have to admit, when I first got her, I (like Tom mentioned about younger buyers with limited budgets), didn't know what I was getting into. My first few years were hard. I had bearing failures like crazy, so many that I lost count. Also, I had to have the third transmission put in the car. At the car's ten year mark, she needed so much engine work, I had a major decision to make. Get rid of her or bite the bullet and fix her.
Needless to say, I decided to fix her. I think that was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Little by little I got everything taken care of. She became a reliable daily driver. I became much more aware of the importance of maintenance (I think age and maturity had a bit to do with that) and my love for the car continued to grow.
In 2006 I took a job in New York. The SVX was put into storage. Five years later, another change in jobs brought me back to California.
Now, with a new look, my SVX is once again my daily driver. I can't imagine not having her in my life.
For anyone considering buying one, I would say this:
Buy one because you love it. Know what you're getting into, and be willing to do what it needs to keep it on the road.
Alcyone,

Great minds think on the same parallel
It's been my intention since about 2 years into the SVX experience that this SVX would be my daily driver till I fall apart. I'll do an engine rebuild in a heart beat. The only stuff I don't understand about the SVX falls into the electronic bucket, all else I do myself except change tires, that tool is way expensive.

If you come out Palm Desert way let me know, we'll have an old Subaru mini meet. I lived in Orange County for 9 years before moving to Oregon for 24 years, finally reached my rain limit, ended up here in the low desert.
PM me, Ive give you my phone & email.

My wife went to Fullerton College in the early 60's.

Keep your SVX mobile.