Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2017, 08:53 PM

Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Installed some Subaru emblems on the wheel center caps. Wheels are from a 2015 Honda Accord, 17x7.5, +55mm offset (same as SVX), with 235/45 tires. Also added "3.3" and "AWD" badges at the rear part of the front fenders. Got the wheels off Craig's List, and the badges off eBay. The "3.3" badge is an OEM Kia part, and the "AWD" badge is a generic badge, not model specific (as far as I know). "3.3" badge was around $15, and the "AWD" badge was less than $10.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal1200r View Post
Installed some Subaru emblems on the wheel center caps. Wheels are from a 2015 Honda Accord, 17x7.5, +55mm offset (same as SVX), with 235/45 tires. Also added "3.3" and "AWD" badges at the rear part of the front fenders. Got the wheels off Craig's List, and the badges off eBay. The "3.3" badge is an OEM Kia part, and the "AWD" badge is a generic badge, not model specific (as far as I know). "3.3" badge was around $15, and the "AWD" badge was less than $10.

Sweet! can we see the rest of your car?
Old 03-10-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacSVX View Post
Sweet! can we see the rest of your car?
GD Photobucket is giving me issues trying to copy the img url, so I had to put them as attachments...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1997 Subaru SVX_20170309d.jpg (73.0 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg 1997 Subaru SVX_20170309a.jpg (70.9 KB, 459 views)
Old 03-13-2017, 06:18 AM

Just replaced the valve cover gasket and timing belt.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:22 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX
Roof Repainting

When I first bought my car I discovered that the previous owner had an idiot detail the car at some point. Said person apparently left a running rotary buffer sitting in one place for too long, burning a hole in the paint on the sunroof. Once I washed the car, it looked horrible.

It looked much better after I corrected the paint, but still was beyond anything I could do, so it had to be repainted. I'd gotten a quote for wrapping the roof which cost a good deal less, but I decided to bite the bullet and have it done properly, and it looks much, much better. This car has needed a lot of work, but is really coming along nicely. Despite the low miles it will never be as nice as some here — simply due to lack of care from the previous owners — but it is in much better shape!

First two pictures show the roof when I first got the car, after a thorough washing. Third picture shows the roof after I'd corrected the paint, which brought the burn out very clearly. The last two are post painting. It will need a month to cure before I can give it a light polishing and then seal it with a glass coat. Hopefully it will never look that bad again...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SVX_Roof_Before_1.jpg (980.0 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg SVX_Roof_Before_2.jpg (972.9 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg SVX_Roof_PostClean_PrePaint.jpg (179.9 KB, 436 views)
File Type: jpg SVX_Roof_After_1.jpg (169.4 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg SVX_Roof_After_2.jpg (942.8 KB, 427 views)

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele
Old 03-15-2017, 04:33 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Looks good.

Do you mind posting the name of the shop you had paint it?
Old 03-15-2017, 10:06 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Roof Repainting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvXit View Post
When I first bought my car I discovered that the previous owner had an idiot detail the car at some point. Said person apparently left a running rotary buffer sitting in one place for too long, burning a hole in the paint on the sunroof. Once I washed the car, it looked horrible.

It looked much better after I corrected the paint, but still was beyond anything I could do, so it had to be repainted. I'd gotten a quote for wrapping the roof which cost a good deal less, but I decided to bite the bullet and have it done properly, and it looks much, much better. This car has needed a lot of work, but is really coming along nicely. Despite the low miles it will never be as nice as some here — simply due to lack of care from the previous owners — but it is in much better shape!

First two pictures show the roof when I first got the car, after a thorough washing. Third picture shows the roof after I'd corrected the paint, which brought the burn out very clearly. The last two are post painting. It will need a month to cure before I can give it a light polishing and then seal it with a glass coat. Hopefully it will never look that bad again...
Looks great!! I had mine repainted a few years ago. Makes a huge difference.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=roof+repaint
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 03-16-2017, 10:55 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflystyle View Post
Looks good.

Do you mind posting the name of the shop you had paint it?
Sure, a friend referred me to this shop. It's probably too far out of the way for most on this board, but they did a great job:

http://classicautobodywaldorf.com/

Old 03-16-2017, 11:11 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX
Re: Roof Repainting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Looks great!! I had mine repainted a few years ago. Makes a huge difference.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=roof+repaint
Thanks! It was interesting reading your account. I, too, had a couple sections where the sunroof rubber is not quite lined up. Will probably take it back to ask about it. Once the paint has cured for at least a month (will probably do this right before the 25th Meet), I will give it a light polish and coat the whole shooting match in 22PLE to really cut down on the potential for fading.

The trim under the rear windows is a little faded, but I'm certain I can polish them and get them in much better shape. same goes for the trunk and wing. The fade spot has been an eyesore since I bought the car. Didn't want to $pend on it, but I knew it was one of those things that would be 'one and done,' as long as I can keep a glass coat on it and not leave any tree sap or bird crap on there for too long.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:48 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

22ple hmm
https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/products/22ple
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:32 AM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
There is a slight learning curve in the application of it. However, I've done five cars with it so far (the SVX will be my sixth) and it does work. I was worried it would be snake oil when I first tried it, but not the case at all.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:45 PM

Created a version 2 of how I have a cone filter mounted in the car. This one uses a 3" to 2" rubber coupler that I found at Home Depot for $7. The OD of the larger end is the same as the OD of the metal plate, and the OD of the smaller end fits perfectly inside the cone filter. I slipped the filter over the smaller end, then used Gorilla superglue gel to mount the rubber coupler to the metal plate, let it cure for about 15 minutes, then installed it. Lucky there's that accordion section in the intake piping, I had to compress it almost all the way to squeeze the filter into the old airbox location. Also had to remove the nut that held the fender airbox inlet piece in place, so it could be pushed back flush with the inner fender, so the cone filter had a little more room. Should work much better than the previous way I had this mounted, so I'll find out next time I take her out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1997 Subaru SVX_20170318d.jpg (55.0 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg 1997 Subaru SVX_20170318b.jpg (56.8 KB, 450 views)
File Type: jpg 1997 Subaru SVX_20170318a.jpg (58.7 KB, 406 views)
Honda Accord wheels 17x7.5, 235/45s, 5mm rear wheel spacers; "3.3" and "AWD" badges on front fenders; AMR radiator/fans; lowering springs, s/s brake lines, drilled rotors; Stebro exhaust with quad tips, mid-muffler removed; tinted windows.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:56 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Why go through that trouble to create a hot air intake? Do you plan on creating a box to isolate it?
Old 03-20-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflystyle View Post
Why go through that trouble to create a hot air intake? Do you plan on creating a box to isolate it?
I've heard stories of the infamous "hot air intake", so where's the scientific evidence to support this story? I know, I know, common sense should tell someone that removing the airbox, which has a teeny tiny air inlet from the fender, and replacing it with a filter that's attached on the end of the MAF sensor will draw in much warmer air. Well, there's common sense, and there's scientific evidence. Has anyone actually measured the temp difference at the MAF sensor between the stock airbox setup and any kind of short intake setup while the car is in motion?
Honda Accord wheels 17x7.5, 235/45s, 5mm rear wheel spacers; "3.3" and "AWD" badges on front fenders; AMR radiator/fans; lowering springs, s/s brake lines, drilled rotors; Stebro exhaust with quad tips, mid-muffler removed; tinted windows.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:01 PM

Went to the local Subaru dealer to get a labor estimate to install a bunch of parts I have, to get a benchmark for other estimates. I asked for a labor estimate to install 4 s/s brake lines, 4 lowering springs, 4 rotors / pads / wheel seals / bearings. Any guesses on what their estimate was?

Can you believe their estimate was $3200???!!! WTF, over?!

Guess it looks like I'm going to use an indy shop that quoted me less than $800 for the same thing. And I don't have the knowledge, tools, or patience to do it myself, so trying to find the lowest responsible estimate is a good thing for me. But $3200? That's criminal...