SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2004, 09:11 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear
Man !! the engine and the tranny ? bad luck ! I advise you to buy another SVX and take the engine + tranny and replace yours.
He can't. The towing company owns his car...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 11-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
That sounds exactly like what happened to another member here.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:29 PM
JBnAR

Yeah, I can't, the towing company owns mine. lol Naw if I was going to get another SVX I would just take the underdrive pully and intake off of my old one and run the new one. I hadn't done anything else to it yet so it wouldn't be worth the trouble of swapping the engine and tranny. I would deffinately consider another SVX if i had the money, but at the moment I'm flat broke. I'm thinking about getting a 280 ZX. I think it will be a lot of fun and I think it will teach me a little more about the bare essentials of driving and develop my skills a little more. Its just one of those cars, ya know; not a bunch of unnecessary frills and luxuries, just the neccesities and a good connection to the road.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:44 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by JBnAR
I'm thinking about getting a 280 ZX. I think it will be a lot of fun and I think it will teach me a little more about the bare essentials of driving and develop my skills a little more. Its just one of those cars, ya know; not a bunch of unnecessary frills and luxuries, just the neccesities and a good connection to the road.
Those 280Z's are nice, but be careful. Due to the age of the car, the only parts you'll find will be on forums and swap meets. A bunch of 80's sports cars are pretty cheap and reliable. the MKIII Supra came out in late 1986 an the NA version has 200hp. A friend of mine bought one last week in NY for just $1800 and it had just 99K miles on the odometer.

The 80's 300ZX's are also inexpensive cars and pretty quick as well as the 80's MR-2's.

Good luck.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 11-29-2004, 11:11 AM

For a late 80s sports car i would either get a a 350 tune port, in a camero or firebired, or a mk3 supra. The tubro supra puts out 230 horse, and around 250 ft pounds of torq, but they blow head gaskets worse than the subaru 2.5 liter so i would expect to replace one if you buy one, but you can replace it with a metal head gasket and some arp bolts and then you can turn the boost up and run low 14 sec quarters with just a exhuast, and have a extremely relible car.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

Due to the age of the car, the only parts you'll find will be on forums and swap meets.
That sounds kinda familiar

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 12-01-2004, 12:12 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

Those 280Z's are nice, but be careful. Due to the age of the car, the only parts you'll find will be on forums and swap meets. A bunch of 80's sports cars are pretty cheap and reliable. the MKIII Supra came out in late 1986 an the NA version has 200hp. A friend of mine bought one last week in NY for just $1800 and it had just 99K miles on the odometer.

The 80's 300ZX's are also inexpensive cars and pretty quick as well as the 80's MR-2's.

Good luck.

-Chike
we had a 280 ZX long time ago, it was a 79, we bought it in the same year, nice car, but has the same problem of the SVX. weight coefficient !!! the car that you should get is the early 240 ZX, this is the real beast. My dad also had one when he was working in Saudi Arabia, instead of 2 carbs, he put 4 carbs !!! a small car + big engine = Dragracing trans ams !!!

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:51 AM
5 speeds rock! :D

Is that a 240ZX, or do you mean 240Z?

The 240Z is the lightest. The later models (280ZX, 300ZX) are more powerful, but they also carry more weight around with them.

ALL of the Z's have enormous engine bays- they originally held long straight sixes. I've seen GM big blocks installed. Small block V-8's are common.

280ZX are less expensive (read REALLY CHEAP). The T-top was not considered a desirable design.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 12-01-2004, 07:32 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxhunter
Is that a 240ZX, or do you mean 240Z?

The 240Z is the lightest. The later models (280ZX, 300ZX) are more powerful, but they also carry more weight around with them.

ALL of the Z's have enormous engine bays- they originally held long straight sixes. I've seen GM big blocks installed. Small block V-8's are common.

280ZX are less expensive (read REALLY CHEAP). The T-top was not considered a desirable design.
yeah right, 240Z. the 280zx's are so heavy that Datsun decided to make some parts out of fiberglass like the engine hood.. i prefer a smaller car with a big engine.

If you wanna really have fun with a speedy car, tune an Alfa Romeo. it's engine is the best for tuning. over here we have an illegal place where all speed fan gather and drag with their cars.

there are VW's GTI, BMW's 81 with the 745i engines, M5's, barracudas, Trans Ams, Chargers, ..... the fastest car so far is a crappy looking red 1990's Alfa Romeo with a mistery engine (the guy never shows us what he made with his engine). it has a turbo but never a NOS. this guy worked on the suspension, braking and engine only. if you see this car you wouldn't buy it for a nickle ! but.... OH GOD, what a torque !!!

he changes the first three gears in no more than 2 meters: white smoke all over.... when he pushes the fourth gear, his car rushes down the highway like helllllllllll !!!! but believe me, it's an italian Alfa engine..

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:40 PM
JBnAR

The best thing about that 280 is the $400 price tag. I'm also planning on doing a custom turbo if i get it. I'll do all the fabrication myself and i can get a turbo wastegated to 7 psi (about what i was wanting to run) for $50 and an intercooler for $10. (gotta love connections) I figure injectors and fuel pump from a 300zx will do the job. Another new toy in the near future is a yamaho fzr1000 (oh yeah i'm gonna kill myself). I should be getting my svx back from the impound soon, so if anyone needs parts other than engine, tranny and windshield let me know. Plans for the 280 are already out of control though and if all works out it should be a peppy little driftable/dragable/daily driver before its all over. I refuse to put a v8 in it though. I refuse to cross manufacturer lines with powerplants. (but an rb26dett would be nice) And SilverSpear, remember, i'm in the states, Alfas are rare and expensive to maintain here.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:36 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
man I thought you have all kinds of cars in the states but i guess alfas are not considered as popular cars... over here too alfas are not that desirable.. but what I can tell you that cars with blown trannys do not sell like 200-400$... like the SVX ! over here we fix things for cheap (labor) and sell them back with full running condition. the most popular cars are in that order over here: BMW & Mercedes, Honda, VW. to bring an Alfa and beat all those cars on track, that's a first !! what a car!

Old 12-16-2004, 05:47 PM
JBnAR

Unfortunately, the parts and labor for the engine and tranny are not cheap. That's why i won't be fixing the svx. But like I said if anyone needs parts let me know. You can msg me on here or email me joshbarnes@hotmail.com. I should be getting it back sometime soon and would like to recover some of the cash that i have put into it, including what its going to cost me to get it from the towing company.