Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 08:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
Pretty sure the engine is toast...

So i went to go play some pool last night and the car really had no power at all down low..Less than normal seeing as i 've been battling a problem with this pretty much since the 5spd swap i figured it would clear up well after a 1/2 mile or so it was still just bogging and running like absolute crap. Then that dreaded sound of knock in the engine. I dont mean knock like pre-ignition or detonation. I mean like a rod or something. I'm assuming the main bearing on the crank finally gave out completely i guess cause it was then knowcking at idle and under acceleration. Im gonna look at it some today and check the oil for metal pieces and all that good stuff. Looks like you just cant trust anyone you buy stuff from unless you are the one who had the engine before Needless to say i wont be buying an engine off anyone and will be rebuilding this once i save some money and have somewhere to do it at...Definitely pissed right now. Thats two engines so far and this latest one "supposedly" had 50xxx miles on it aproximately. I hardly believe that given its condition. Well just thought i'd let yall know. Oh yea and i might have put a total of 5000miles on this engine since the swap.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
who did u gte it from, and don't trash this community because f a little bad luck. If it ran well for the first 5000 miles, then it probobly ran well for the previous onwer as well don't ya think?? I understand the frustration but I feel you are over reacting

Tom
Old 02-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Missing Information??

There seems to be some missing information here. As we all know these are cast iron engines UNLESS abused. Generally, overheating or sudden loss of oil are the only reasons for engine failure (of course use of nitrous changes that assumption). So, did you forget to put oil in it or did you lose all of your coolant? I agree that an engine run 5000 miles with satisfactory performance could not be blamed on the previous owner unless he knew that it had been several stressed by drag racing or nitrous use. I have 3 cars with over 160,000 miles on them (one with 225,000) and ALL run perfectly and use no oil. I bought one with a bad engine and it was because a woman drove it some distance after losing all coolant. Even that one still runs--just sounds like a brass band locked in a rotating dryer.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 02-21-2006, 10:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
First off....Never was i trashing the community nor will i divuldge who i bought it from for the very reasons you all stated. I think you two are overreacting to what i said. I said I wont be buying an engine from anyone. Not anyone on the boards cause everyone here is a con-artist. Obviously cause thats not the case at all. Everyone here is more than a avid car guy from what i can tell. So i dont appreciate you all coming down on me for something i was not conveying in the slightest.

Second...Yes i am aware that the engines in our cars are most of the time bullet proof and never have problems and dont burn oil till the 200.xxx mark. However im also a auto technician that even before the training and schooling would never ever ever run an engine without oil in it. I;ve ran mobil synthetic in from the day i got it. Which by the way looks fine? I figured it would of been at least a little contaminated with fragments. Also the car never ever overheated as the radiator waterpump and all hoses are brand new when i did the swap. The temp needle never even saw half way i dont believe even in the summer. And yes there was always coolant in the system.

Third....The idea of 5xxx being adequate is debateable because for the first 1500-2000 of that was with the auto so the crankwalk i have was not apparent. It was only apparent as soon as the 5spd swap was done.
I also your comments on 160xxx and more should show that 5xxx miles is nothing for these engines and obviously something was not right from the begining. The car never saw a track or dragstrip, never saw nitrous wouldnt ever screw with it, and wasnt driven crazy. I couldnt afford for something like this to happen so thats why i drove it normal. I knew this was gonna happen eventually however was not planning on it so soon.

So dont take what i said in my post's as deragatory or degrading to the board at all. I've been here a long time and learned many valuable things from the board here. Never would i disrespect it. In my opinion though from now on, now that i have the knowlege to i will be rebuilding the engine and anything else that goes wrong. That way when something happens i can say " hey guys i $%*#(@ up when i built my engine and it blew again". I however do not appreciate being basically insulted with the comments about coolant and liquids. If you cant keep these in your car and keep an eye on them to see if you have them you SHOULDNT be driving. My opinion.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
Just a thought

I have almost 200K miles on mine and I have been racing it at the track for 6 years. On several occasions, I have experienced a problem that sounded like terrible knock. I thought I was in big trouble. Turned out to just be a stuck fuel injector. It stuck in the open position dumping loads of fuel into one hole. It gets so bad and the plug gets so wet, it wont fire anymore, runs on 5 missing terrible and knocking due to near hydrostatic lock conditions on one piston. After injector was addressed, the problem went away.

NOT saying this is the same situation you have. Just some insight on similar sounds and situations.

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2
Old 02-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
sorry guess I misunderstood. I apologize. Are you sure the engine has crank walk??? I mean if you are gauging from the front pulley, the pulley may be seperating rather than the crank actually moving. I would also look into Chris' idea of an injector maybe sticking open

Tom