Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 09-18-2009, 01:10 AM

Registered SVX
Re: SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Trevor touched on the problem with the older flathead V8, and Tony’s mention of the UK twin outlet 4s points to the solution, of changing the way the left blends into the right outlet, if it did not have to overcome the flow from the right side it would flow the same as the right.

Harvey.
The problem as suggested has no relevance with the flat head Ford V8. This had twin water pumps and complete circuits, so that pressure difference between the two banks was not a problem. In those days the stylists did not dictate available engine space.

This not in fact a matter of one flow overcoming another flow, it is a matter of two unequal pressures, presented with a single outlet.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-18-2009, 02:33 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

The easiest way to balance multiple resistive circuits, is by adding resistance rather than amplification. This is particularly so in this instance, where the problem is at the high pressure end of the system, where as a result adequate flow will exist.

It should be possible to fit a restrictive blanking plate, under the right inlet to the water pipe. A relatively soft alloy sheet and some gasket goo, a gasket or whatever could seal against the pipe, depending on the arrangement of the O-ring.

Tom has been working on distribution within the head space, and a plate could also be used to alter the flow relative to the two minor ports, if this might help.

Best of luck for all those involved in the project.

Trevor.
Trevor, with all due respect to your thinking and judgement, and we all know that your reasoning is without doubt logical. But wouldn't you think that for a high performance EG33 you should be shooting the other way around? Instead of pausing restriction on the "higher" flowing end, why don't you amplify the "less" flowing end? Your performant EG33 will require more cooling in that sense.

Quote:
The problem as suggested has no relevance with the flat head Ford V8. This had twin water pumps and complete circuits, so that pressure difference between the two banks was not a problem. In those days the stylists did not dictate available engine space.

This not in fact a matter of one flow overcoming another flow, it is a matter of two unequal pressures, presented with a single outlet.
This is what I am thinking about, a system where you can have twin water pumps without any resistance or restrictions, each cooling one bank and both of them equal in performance to the OEM pump. This way you will cause cooling balance inside the engine.

Trevor, can you show us a diagram about this V8 you are talking about? Or is it general to all Ford V8's?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:35 AM

For the recod the big book says 100lpm @ 3,000rpm and 200lpm @ 6,000rpm.

I have cut my manifold as you can see from the image the next plan if that doesn't fix the problem will be to put a new pipe inthe centre were the ruler is. That pipe will be 40mm as opposed to 30mm it is now. Next change the water pump inlet pipe from 30mm to 45mm if possiable. Also both inlet and outlet on the radiator changed to suit

I feel sure the inlet and out lets of the motor are both 30mm will cause a problem. Centrifugal pumps always have a larger inlet then outlet to prevent caviation.
Great the way everyone is jumping on board I think if a few of us run tests we will beat this problem finally. Have a great day or night.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0096.JPG (205.1 KB, 441 views)
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:45 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Trevor, with all due respect to your thinking and judgement, and we all know that your reasoning is without doubt logical. But wouldn't you think that for a high performance EG33 you should be shooting the other way around? Instead of pausing restriction on the "higher" flowing end, why don't you amplify the "less" flowing end? Your performant EG33 will require more cooling in that sense.
Restricting the right side by a quite small amount, will result in the left side being increased. An adjustment of balance is involved, not a simple overall reduction. Evidence does not suggest a lack of flow and the opposite could be the case.

Coolant circulating too quickly, was the accepted diagnosis, in respect of the old flat head V8 Ford. This I know because in the early 1950s, I did very well in club competitions, using one of these engines in an AC sports car of 1935 vintage. Incidentally, a fan was not used and the car also served as family transport.

Quote:
This is what I am thinking about, a system where you can have twin water pumps without any resistance or restrictions, each cooling one bank and both of them equal in performance to the OEM pump. This way you will cause cooling balance inside the engine.

Trevor, can you show us a diagram about this V8 you are talking about? Or is it general to all Ford V8's?
There is absolutely no way, anything resembling the arrangement used on the Ford could be replicated. For a start there is not room for separate outlet tubes for each side. A quick look will show why the designer had problems with space. As I pointed out, this is exact reason for the existing set up.

The Ford dual pumps were far too efficient and the cure was to reduce this quite radically. Drill all the rotor blades, or knock off every other one. Cast iron made them easy to break. Water at high pressure and full of air, is not an efficient coolant. Recesses are passed over, pockets are formed and hot spots result.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 09-18-2009 at 04:47 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:01 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
For the recod the big book says 100lpm @ 3,000rpm and 200lpm @ 6,000rpm.

I have cut my manifold as you can see from the image the next plan if that doesn't fix the problem will be to put a new pipe inthe centre were the ruler is.
The restriction appears to be at junction of left and right. I can not see the enlargement you have made making much difference. If you could bring out a pipe in line with the ruler, that would be another story. You will have to explain how you will create the clearance required.

P.S. The fact that a flow has been stated for 6,000 RPM, is surely a sign that cavitation within the pump is unlikely.

Keep at it.

Last edited by Trevor; 09-18-2009 at 05:12 AM. Reason: P.S.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:19 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
For a start there is not room for separate outlet tubes for each side.
This would have been great if otherwise...

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

Why not run a bypass in the cross over pipe so that the left hand stream enters the flow of the right post headers...

or not even mix them at all until they hit the rad with a Y like junction? Radiator Tomyx?

-Sov
Old 09-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov13t View Post
Why not run a bypass in the cross over pipe so that the left hand stream enters the flow of the right post headers...

or not even mix them at all until they hit the rad with a Y like junction? Radiator Tomyx?

-Sov

The position of the radiator inlet favors the right side bank in terms of length and position. The left side would be toooo long besides finding a way to make it reach there and clearance issues. It would be ideal though if possible.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
The fact that a flow has been stated for 6,000 RPM, is surely a sign that cavitation within the pump is unlikely.
I don't mean to sound like a non believer but centrifugal's pump curves don't double the flow when you double the speed. "Subaru has got slack and cooked the books".

By the way if you look at the manifold on the car water goes from the left bank throught the throttle bodie and in to the manifold on the right bank. The only way this can happen is if there is a pressure difference from one side to the other, eg a major restriction in the centre.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:24 PM

Did a quick calc and if the pipes go from 30mm to 42ID the flow will double.
Tony
Old 09-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Tony,
Have you confirmed that your modified pipe will still fit under the intake? If "yes", could you provide some dimensions on the pieces of Al you welded on?
Thanks.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-18-2009, 03:08 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I don't mean to sound like a non believer but centrifugal's pump curves don't double the flow when you double the speed. "Subaru has got slack and cooked the books".
My understanding in respect of a centrifugal pump, is that the flow rate is directly proportional to speed, all extraneous contingencies being equal, so that I do not doubt the figures published by Subaru. A curve is not involved but rather a straight line. Please qualify your opinion and advise where you have found contrary information.

Quote:
By the way if you look at the manifold on the car water goes from the left bank throught the throttle bodie and in to the manifold on the right bank. The only way this can happen is if there is a pressure difference from one side to the other, eg a major restriction in the centre.
Tony
This relates to a situation where there are two passages in parallel, with one more restrictive than the other. The relative rate of flow will be in proportion with the resistance and that offered by the larger passage can be near zero. Only a very small flow will be required to heat the throttle body. There is no reason to construe that a significant restriction exists within the major passage.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:13 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Did a quick calc and if the pipes go from 30mm to 42ID the flow will double.
Tony
The flow will not be increased by enlarging one section of the circuit. The most restrictive point in the circuit, will continue to throttle the overall flow.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:38 PM

Trevor,
Would you accept that as flow goes up pressure has to increase as the restriction beomes a bigger issue. That said then all things are not equal and flow must be reduce in proportion to revs.
Tony
Old 09-18-2009, 04:46 PM

Here is a pump curve to explain