Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 07-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
11:1 CR Race/Street Engine build

As many of you may know, I am putting together a race/street engine for Dan Nall/ Shotgunslade's SVX.

Particulars:

11:1 Supertech Pistons from LAN
Eagle H-beam rods
ACL Bearings
Polished crank
Web Cams weld/grind w/ custom profile specifically for this engine
Brian Crower coated SS intake&exhaust valves
Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers
RallyBob ported cylinder heads
Equal length headers
Tomyx intake
200mm HKS Mega Flow Element
Hydra Nemesis w/ custom tune
740cc Injectors (poss. running race fuel/ E85 for track days)
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
Cometic HG's
ARP head studs & fasteners
Remote mount electric water pump w/ aux cooling paths to cyl heads to try and repair the overheating issues tracked EG33's have had in the past

Shotblock has already had all clearances set by my local speedshop and was fully assembled in-shop at AWD. WE are aiming for a power goal of 260AWHP w/ matching torque. This is for two reasons, 1. It needs to pass NJ emissions 2. It needs to be able to be driven on the street effortlessly.

Granted we could create a huge cam like Rallybob and the EG33RS guys did but we needed something a little more subtle.

This is not a cheap build and the budget Dan has allotted has allowed us to use very high quality parts and address many issues others have experienced in the past. My expectations for this engine are much higher than the goals stated earlier. I fully expect to be flirting w/ 300AWHP/tq but time will tell. More once I know more from Web and Rallybob on the heads

Tom
Old 07-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: 11:1 CR Race/Street Engine build

WOW!!! 260 AWHP sounds awesome expecially for N/A. Good luck and I will be sure to follow closely
Old 07-03-2009, 05:30 PM

That just sounds like a very nice non-turbo engine. I can only imagine what it would be like to drive, especially with a STI/Spec B 6MT gearbox and rear diff.

Looking forward to hearing about the driving impressions...

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:08 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx

Sounds good Tom! I won't bother asking about the price until the build is completely done. What is the expected timeline for all of this? Also, will you be starting off with a baseline dyno number to be able to reference the difference in before and after modifications?

The whp looks neat but it may be more valuable to some to know what the difference in hp/torque than can expect since people will get varying degrees of gains/losses. At any rate, good luck!
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 07-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Nice project, costly too but worth it in my opinion.

What brand are you going through for the electric pumps? Which ones?

PS: Tom, pm me I might have something for you on concerning the heads.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Maniac modifier

I am waiting to hear back from RallyBob on what pump they have chosen for their engine. They seem to have had some good luck with their coolant system in helping the overheating.

Total price will be disclosed at the discretion of the owner.

Danny, what did you have in mind, you can feel free to post it here

Tom
Old 07-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx View Post
Sounds good Tom! I won't bother asking about the price until the build is completely done. What is the expected timeline for all of this? Also, will you be starting off with a baseline dyno number to be able to reference the difference in before and after modifications?

The whp looks neat but it may be more valuable to some to know what the difference in hp/torque than can expect since people will get varying degrees of gains/losses. At any rate, good luck!
Yes, Dan had the car dynoed a little while back on one of the portable dynojet's. So there is a baseline from what he had to what he will have. I fully expect to have the long block finished by the end of the month as long as Web is relatively quick with the cams. Then it is measuring and buying shims and remeasuring the valve lash. Once all is done, it is about 2-3hrs of assembly.

Tom
Old 07-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post

Danny, what did you have in mind, you can feel free to post it here

Tom
Yeah you are right. We should post it here for everybody to see. I am 90% sure these were the parts ordered from SuperTech for the XXtuning EG33:

- SIVN-1012/2 Subaru 2.0lts/WRX Intake valve 36.5x5.96x103.85mm/SS/Black Nitrided/backcut./ +0.5mm head diam./ Length and groove is 0.5mm lower than stock.

- SEVN-1012/2 Subaru 2.0lts/WRX Exhaust valve 32.5x5.96x104.20mm/SS/Black Nitrided/ +0.5mm head diam./ Length and groove is 0.5mm lower than stock.

- SPRK-TS1015/SU3 Dual valve spring 27.50/20/15.20mm, CB:20.70mm/ 64lbs@36mm / 204 lbs@11.5mm lift/ Chrome Silicon/ Max recommended lift 13.3mm comes with retainers and seat locators.

- CF-33/3.0 Cam Follower, solid, 33x26x3.0mm.

- 33mm BMW Buckets.

The valvetrain configuration is based on a 244° @ .050" duration (stock was 196* @ 0.050", that is nearly an additional of 50* duration), plus a massive valve lift increase (.444"/11.27 mm intake, .460"/11.68 mm exhaust lift).

Now I already spoke with the machinist who performed the work on the XXtuning heads, sent him all the info that I have for him to cross reference them with his notes. I am expecting his reply next week.

For the camshafts, I am negotiating with another manufacturer, much cheaper than Web.

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Maniac modifier

While that may be good, we are confined to a stock diamter valve due to the piston selection. I originally wanted to use +1mm valves but we withdrew from that idea. I have gutted a set of SVX buckets and I will be using modified 2.5rs shims. I just need to know the shimless clearances before I can order the right sized shims.

Tom
Old 07-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
While that may be good, we are confined to a stock diamter valve due to the piston selection. I originally wanted to use +1mm valves but we withdrew from that idea. I have gutted a set of SVX buckets and I will be using modified 2.5rs shims. I just need to know the shimless clearances before I can order the right sized shims.

Tom
If you are going wiht the valve dimensions I posted above along with the stock diameter, let me know, I might be interested in a set.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I'm not claiming to be an expert here, but I never understood why a lot of you guys run such absolutely massive injectors on these engines. Do you really need 700+ cc of fuel for 260 wheel power?
Old 07-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
I'm not claiming to be an expert here, but I never understood why a lot of you guys run such absolutely massive injectors on these engines. Do you really need 700+ cc of fuel for 260 wheel power?
You can always compensate with the standalone. The big injectors are just in case you need to upgrade further in the future..

Old 07-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
If you are going wiht the valve dimensions I posted above along with the stock diameter, let me know, I might be interested in a set.
We are using stock sized valves for an ej20t. They have already been ordered and recieved. I am waiting to get the heads back from Rallybob before I an load them into the heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
I originally wanted to use some 555cc Nismo injectors but after a little bit of research apparently they have been having issues with the Ethanol mixed into pump gas nowaday and can crap out within a month of installation. The 740cc's are the same injectors I have been running in my SVX for years now without issue, so I feel confident in their reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
You can always compensate with the standalone. The big injectors are just in case you need to upgrade further in the future..
Yes this i true but you also lose some injection accuracy with this large of an injector. Luckily the Hydra Nemesis has excellent control of the exact millisecond the injector remains open allowing for really great control over the fueling of the cylinders.

Tom
Old 07-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Tom what rpm are you looking at, to make peak torque?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Maniac modifier

Our peak torque is not going to be too much off of the stock curve. The engine is not going to be built to spin insane RPMs rather have a very very meaty torque curve. We have set our redline at 7500 and I hope to see a peak around 6500-7000 rpm

Tom