How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-18-2008, 05:45 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Need Some Help..where can i get a p/s hose that will fit, and a p/s pump plus.....

How You Guys doin, im New To the forum...glad to hear thier's alot of svx holder's out here contemplatin and helpin out, respect that.

I just Bought a Black svx 92 Ls for 1800, with 160k, cars runnin good, did a odb1 check on the engine and tranny its fine. Tranny was rebuild in '03 with a cooler.
new radiator, water pump. battery and starter from '04.

Only problem is the power steering pump and hose, handling is very tight will turns hard, and makes alot of noise when turning, big pain while parking, can anyone get me a link to a power steering pump or does anyone know where to get one that will fit properly and be new or in good condition. And please if anyone has the item number for it factory, i can give it to the rep in rockauto and they can order 1 from acdelco for 171.00.

Second Problem i got is; The p/s hose, it has a small leak, i went to rockauto, and they seem to have ones that fit the svx, but they have them in diffrent sizes!?....do u guys know its length or a better place if not rockauto to get it and if it is, can u link me the proper one plz, or if u can, id appreciate the factory item number, same as pump they say it ill give them the right fit to give to me.

Last Problem is I have a leak from the gaskets, Need new valve cover gaskets, found them for the svx everywhere, carpartswholesale, and auto partswarehouse, it seems like a big job for a mechanic, cause its underneath the engine anyone have any reccomendations?

And any of u feller's located in NewYorkCity and know any good spots or mechanics that can get parts and specialize in svx's , would be real hellpfull. cause i really like the car and in a year or 2 im thinkin of changin the engine to a 20-80k one.

Thank u for all the info u submit, as much as possible will be best, peace.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:40 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Need Some Help..where can i get a p/s hose that will fit, and a p/s pump plus....

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/index.php

Try these guys.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: Need Some Help..where can i get a p/s hose that will fit, and a p/s pump plus....

Before you replace the PS pump, check out the instructions for the PS O Ring in the "how to docs" at the top of the page.

For the hose. Is it the High Pressure hose with metal fittings on the end? Or one of the low pressure hoses that just use hose clamps on the end. For the LP hoses use 3/8" ATF (auto trans fluid) line, you can buy it by the foot at any local parts store. For the HP hose, take it off and take it to a shop that rebuilds HP Hydraulic hoses. Some auto parts stores do it, or find a place that works on snow plows, fork lifts, back hoes, etc...

The valve cover gaskets can be done with the engine in the car, they're on the side, not underneath. I think there's also a how-to on them.

If you need dealer parts, get a hold of Liberty Subaru in Oradel, NJ, they're prices meet/beat the online parts places and ground shipping to you will probably be next day. When you call, ask for the "subaru-svx.net discount"

Last edited by Hocrest; 10-18-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:41 AM

Registered SVX

Thanks feller's; got ure reply tonight, lookin into it. And Its the hp hose, thanks for the size, gettin things done this week. Will let u know if i have further issues. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:12 AM

Registered SVX

I got 2 leaks one in the lp p/s return hose and one from the valve cover gaskets, plus i need a new p/s pump the noise is killin me!. Hose wasen't a problem but, Everyone is askin 355$! for the pump its killin me, anyone know were i can get it cheaper, maybe an acdelco or a1 pump, or a private seller willing?.

Plus the other problem im havin is 1 dealer is tellin me thier are 3 valve cover gaskets on each side, plus i need new bolts and he's chargin me 13$ each 4 the gaskets plus 3$ each for the bolts theirs like 4 sets of them or somethin he says gettin 2 is riskin containin the leak....total thier with shippin was 125, thier from a subaru dealership, and claim theyve worked on it.
Meanwhile the other dealer is tellin me he knows that 2 valve cover gaskets will be enough to stop the leak, and 2 sets of bolts will be enough, makin me save, total their with shippin was 80 what should i do, and who should i trust here? anyone worked on these issues or know exactly whats best here? need this done asap. Would appreciate some help thanks.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:17 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I had my hose re-built for $30 (I think) and the noisey pump will most likely be fixed when you fix that hose, and install the O-ring under the PS pump tank (50 cent fix)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-21-2008, 05:24 AM

Registered SVX

Yeah doin it this friday, will see what happens, worse comes to worse, gonna get a pump from who im talkin with about it here. Let u know after the fix.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:58 AM

Registered SVX

When you say install the o-ring is it their? Or do i have to buy 1???
Old 10-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I mean bu a new one, as the origiinal is hard ass a rock by now, and probably broke....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-22-2008, 01:27 AM

Registered SVX

Just got everything thanks 4 the advice will let u know when im done hopefully by fri....