Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 05-09-2008, 06:24 PM

Registered SVX
New Shift Kit Developed

It has been announced on SVX World Forums, that a well known automotive engineer, has developed an improved shift kit.
--- I have developed a unit that does it the right way.

According to the thread administrator, --- You’ll all be finding out soon enough. Good things are worth waiting for. I'm about to be testing something Harvey developed that will make smallcars shift kit look like a first grader built it.

If things go as I think they will with what I've been told, the SVX (And Road Demon especially) just got a little faster. I can't reveal anything more though as I and Road Demon are only the guinea pigs at the moment. Stay tuned for a thread detailing it soon enough.

I don't see how any special shift kit would make it any faster in the 1/4 mile, where the TCU is already shifting hard at high RPMs. The shift kit only makes driving around a bit more tolerable.

I still don't know enough to go into details as I am awaiting the details and the units myself right now, But there is power to be had in the SVX that it doesn't let us have due to factory tuning that has been a hot topic for a while now. From what I am to understand, This box deals with those things and will allow us all the power we can get at all times and firm up the shifts according to ALL throttle positions instead of just a high/low switch like smallcar.

That is the max of what I am willing to tell for now until testing is done, But I can assure you if it does as I'm told it will be an unbelieveable performance/dollar buy. Believe me, I'm counting the hours until it arrives!

Certainly stay tuned in anticipation of complete details and availability.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-10-2008, 05:25 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
If this "shift kit" is the Power Mode Mod, I'm going to be very angry at someone trying to market it. Since it was suggested by Phil and the information given freely to everyone.

The "Power Mode Mod" is the only thing I could think of that relates to altering the shifting and makes things "faster."
Old 05-10-2008, 05:53 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
If this "shift kit" is the Power Mode Mod, I'm going to be very angry at someone trying to market it. Since it was suggested by Phil and the information given freely to everyone.

The "Power Mode Mod" is the only thing I could think of that relates to altering the shifting and makes things "faster."
It is not the Power Mode Mod.
More later.
Tom
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Can't wait to see what this crazy thing is.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
is this thing gonna be available for purchase? or is it something as simple as the power mode mod that anyone can do for "free"? if it will be available for purchase can you give us an estimated price for those of us who have to save our pennies for those not-so-cheap mods?
Old 05-11-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 View Post
is this thing gonna be available for purchase? or is it something as simple as the power mode mod that anyone can do for "free"? if it will be available for purchase can you give us an estimated price for those of us who have to save our pennies for those not-so-cheap mods?
All of this was answered in the up above post quoted from the world forums. Basically no ones talking and were going to have to wait for any info like that. Heres the actual thread that brought it up if anyones interested http://svxworldforums.com/forum4/530-1.html

Last edited by shotking; 05-11-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:34 PM

Why is it that it was "announced" so long ago on that site, and has just recently come to our attention here? Also, those posts seem quite old, so is this project still to come to fruition, or is it just a pipe dream?

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 05-11-2008, 04:53 PM

Its only been a week That being said I remain skeptic till I actually see something yet hope that it is actually helpful.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotking View Post
Its only been a week That being said I remain skeptic till I actually see something yet hope that it is actually helpful.

I'm sorry, you're right. I was reading the wrong dates in the linked-to thread.

Honest mistake.

And I would very much look forward to the release of something that could do a better job than the smallcar kit.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!

Last edited by Nevin; 05-11-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:08 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
I dont get the hype

how great can it be? your tranny will shift better, life will be easier for you when you move forward after gas pedal is depressed with the selector in "D" higher resistance = firmer shifting, this is the best real mod ever!! can the "shift kit" subject really be played out any more than it has been?

Maybe it has a built in 8passcoolerlipspringrubbercupholderdual$20k ziptiekoniswaybarcoinholdercovermod mod mod

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 05-11-2008, 06:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
The kit is going to be installed on my car by budfreak, hopefully sometime this week. I am going to have my car put on a dyno before and after the kit is installed. I'll post up the results once everything is tested.
2009 Subaru Forester - Mileage Junky
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
2017 Ford Mustang GT 6spd
Old 05-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I'm interested to hear the details of the kit. It would be very interesting to hear if the alleged "cylinder deactivation during shifts" is addressed (as quoted from the road and track guide to the svx)
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:46 PM
SVXtreme

great news considering I'm keeping my 4eat for a while longer
Old 05-12-2008, 07:49 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
there is only so much you can do electronically to change the shift charactaristics of the transmission w/o getting into the ECU/TCU. I would not be surprised to see very little difference from yet another Add-on. Not that I don't like the idea of something like this working wonders, you cannot help but be sceptical that it will render any results.

Tom
Old 05-12-2008, 10:55 AM

Tom is it possible somehow to increase pump pressure for faster shifts,or if someone can get rid of that annoying shift deactivating feature which I feel will make a stock auto maybe 2/10s faster.Anyway I will get one because I just had my tranny rebuilt two weeks ago.