Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 10-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Pinto Boosting Freak

Send a message via AIM to Evil One Send a message via MSN to Evil One Send a message via Yahoo to Evil One
Hanging around race tracks and drag strips... I have seen some extremely fast cars with some of the ugliest and most off the wall things done to them.
Effective doesnt have to be pretty... and I have seen some BEAUTIFUL fab work actually lose power.
I always have gone by the idea of making it work be the primary goal, and making it look nice the secondary.
Thanks for the extra luck.

Jim
Old 10-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Jim,
Version 2, which I've been running for the last 2+ years, actually uses 4" diameter racing brake duct (high temperature) that runs down to a vacuum formed inlet (used a lot for inlets to brake cooling systems). Stay tuned on the plenum front - YT is going to work up something based on a conversation the two of us had. I'm also working on yet another approach that will be a little more involved...
-Bill (once an engineer, always an engineer....)
p.s. on the TB front, OT and I are already running intakes that are ported/polished to match the TB. OT also did some minor mods to the TB to provide for a totally horizontal positioning of the plates at WOT

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-28-2007, 09:58 AM
Pinto Boosting Freak

Send a message via AIM to Evil One Send a message via MSN to Evil One Send a message via Yahoo to Evil One
Bill, good things to hear.
I may be late to the game, but its nice to know I have still arrived at the right sport.
I am very interested in the idea on more plenum volume. I need to get my hands on an intake manifold so I can look into joining the separate the existing plenums for greater volume and to allow each bank to draw from both throttle plates.

Jim

Last edited by Evil One; 10-28-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:41 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOMOGO View Post
Bill, good things to hear.
I may be late to the game, but its nice to know I have still arrived at the right sport.
I am very interested in the idea on more plenum volume. I need to get my hands on an intake manifold so I can look into joining the separate the existing plenums for greater volume and to allow each bank to draw from both throttle plates.
Jim
Jim,

There is already provision for the two plenums to be cross linked by means of the induction control valve and the associated variable intake system.

I have previously suggested that experiments should be carried out with the valve held constantly open, or removed so as to increase the cross section of the interconnection, but as far as I know this has never been done.

The existing set up allows the frequency of incoming pressure to match RPM, thus assisting the filling cylinders, and improved breathing efficiency. The frequency depends on the cross-sectional area of the interconnection and an increase here will raise the point of assistance in respect of RPM.

Going by the data published in the manuals, it would appear that this would result in a reduction in efficiency around 3600 RPM. However the upwards curve would be constant, rather than peaking at this point, as is the result of the ECU controlled variable set up. Clearly there could be advantages in respect of a performance engine, where a cruising mode is not important.

Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 10-28-2007 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Info added
Old 10-28-2007, 03:18 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
The variable part of the intake is primarily behind the throttle blades. The plenum actually slows down the incoming air @WOT. Though at part throttle it gives a reserve of air for the engine to draw from. It helps throttle response, but after tip in, it's a hinderance.
The Tomyx intake is designed to speed up airflow, and smooth out the transition going into the throttles. From the supplied data, it does just that, very well.
The point I was making is that by eliminating the plenum, the existing system is being extended in length, thereby altering its characteristics and this should be taken into account. There could well be an advantage but this factor should be kept in mind when considering the system as a whole.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Pinto Boosting Freak

Trevor, from what I have been reading... your knowledge of how these cars are made is astounding.
I shall make this a priority in my testing.

Jim
Old 10-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Jim,
I was going through my "spare" parts today, and I came across a stock air box I was saving for some "experiments". PM me if you're interested in it.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-28-2007, 07:32 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOMOGO View Post
I had been looking at making a custom enclosure drawing air from where the stock airbox intake was and a couple of other places.......
It is not going to be a fully enclosed box, actually more of an elaborate shield forcing the engine to draw cooler air than what is available underhood........
I was just wondering if anyone on SVXWN has built one of these and what their experience with it was.

Jim
SilverSpear
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...=intake+copper
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 10-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Pinto Boosting Freak

Yea, I read the thread about the copper box.

Jim